Sanneh back?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Blong, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I was watching the Bundesliga highlight show on FSW today, and as Werder Bremen's Ailton is streaking by defenders for his second goal of the match, the commentator notes that the defender being outlegged is Tony Sanneh. And it sure looked like Tony.

I didn't see any mention of his return here or at the other sites I frequent. So I guess it's time to put Tony and Nurnberg back on the radar screen, for those of you who care.

2. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Nurnberg is in the second BL...Werder is in the 1st...when did they play? :confused:

3. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Hmmmm... I was thinking Nurnberg went down, but figured I was confused. Well, this is strange. I guess it's possible they showed a really old version of the show tonight, maybe by mistake. It couldn't be that Sanneh changed teams-it was a red/black strip, and we would've heard about that.

Maybe someone else has some ideas...

I said it looked like him, but it was a quick look. Maybe the commentator saw a guy that looked like Sanneh and figured it was him...you know-tall, lanky black guy getting burned on defense.

I really wasn't watching the show much, but do remember Claudio Pizzaro scored his second of the season and had short hair--wasn't it long last season?

If anyone is up on BL stats(Ailton scoring at least two is a recent game or Pizzaro getting his second-with short hair, recently) then maybe they can chime in.....

4. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Pizzaro is on Bayern Munich...

AFAIK Tony is still a long ways away from even training again, let alone playing in a match...

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Could it have been a league cup game? Bremen's last Cup game was vs. Wolfsburg though.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Actually Bayern Munich's league cup game this week was vs. Nurnberg.

7. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
  8. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Yes I know, they cover more than one game.

I realize this, which is why I was surprised.

OK, I started this mess, so I did the research to explain some of it.

Werder beat Freiburg 4-2 last week with Ailton scoring two. The description of the goals fits.

Why the commentator said "Tony Sanneh", plain as day, first and last names, I don't know. The player beaten on that play was named Bubacar- nothing close to Sanneh.

(But he did look a lot like Tony)

9. CJCourtney

CJCourtney Member

United States
    Aug 29, 2000
    Greece
    Tony is still in rehab training following some work on his back. Don't expect to see him play before January at the earliest.

10. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This may not explain the mysterious Sanneh sighting
    but FSW has occasionally used old Bundesliga
    highlights as "filler" between programs......

11. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true ... :D:D