Sandra Day O'Connor Retires

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Garcia, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Based on the bios given in that article, I have no objections to Garza. If there are things left out of that article, that opinion could change, but based on that limited info, I have no problem with him. He seems to have a solid military, academic and judicial background. He came up through the ranks (moving from smaller courts on up) which I admire. He favors parental notification before minor abortions (something I agree with). His major stumbling block would seem to be the abortion issue, but even there, he doesn't seem to view abortion as something which should be completely illegal, he just questions whether or not it is a guaranteed federal right. I have no problem making abortion a state issue rather than a federal one. I just don't want someone that will move to issue a blanket federal ban on the procedure. His resume reads like the exact thing I would like to see (again, based on the info in the article): a moderate conservative with no overt political ties who makes decisions based upon a reading of the actual Constitution. Garza wouldn't be tops on my list (I really like Wilkinson and McConnell, and Garza is about even with Clement in my view), but if he were nominated and the Dems obstructed, I would not be pleased.

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am sure that whoever is the nominee, we'll learn much more about them than we really want to know.

I think Garza is the strongest possibility from your list mainly for the (in my view superficial and unsignificant) reason that the president will be very tempted to want to nominate the first Latino Supreme Court Justice to replace the first woman Supreme Court Justice.

3. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marc Racicot might also be considered.

Governor of Montana, then practiced law privately. Rumor was Bush asked him to be AG, but he turned it down.

Was immensely popular in Montana, with 70% approval ratings. Is moderate on some issues such as gay marriage, but is conservative on abortion.

If that doesn't happen, Robert Bork is still alive. :D

4. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't he one of the leaders of Bush campaign team for the Florida recount in 2001?
    If I am remembering correctly, he had a lot to say, much of it pretty hard edged. Not the sort of thing that he'd be happy to explain now I'm guessing.

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Now there are reports that Rehnquist will anounce his resignation next week.

6. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The initial rumor I heard here was that it would be announced today, but pushed back a week out of respect for the attacks in London.

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmmm? In light of his health it certainly makes sense. Still, I just recently read an article by Tony Mauro (IIRC) saying that Rehnquist would not be retiring this summer because he already knew about O'Connor's retirement and doesn't want the Court to have to deal with two retirements in the same summer.

If this is true....I wonder what the chances are for seeing a compromise along the lines of no filibuster if one of the nominees is conservative but the other is moderate?

8. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused:COMPROMISE!!!!!

Hahahahahahahah.

Surely you jest? You haven't been reading the news much lately, have you? ;):D

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Not pokin' fun at you-- perfectly sensible post-- but look at what we consider compromise in the current climate!?

11. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The early speculation was that Renquist would make the announcement this week, but it's now being said that he'll hold off for a couple weeks after the events yesterday.

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well....that goes without saying doesn't it?
    ;)

13. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    I doubt it. That could spell the end of social conservatives support for the Republicans. Maybe two moderate conservatives, but I think a lot of Republicans would object to missing a chance to change the court (mostly looking at Roe v Wade).

14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks yossarian... that was funny!

"Hello... this is Sandra!"
    "Hi Sandy... this is Barbara Boxer...did I catch you at a bad time?"
    "No Barbara...what's up?"
    "Well... we understand George is going to appoint a conservative...would you consider revising your decision to retire?"
    "No Barbara...I've already made plans to go to Aruba."
    "But Sandy... If the Chief Justice retires, that means George will get two appointments to the Supreme Court... I couldn't live with myself."
    "Sorry Barbra... I've had it with the Supremes... Justice Scalia pinched me once!"
    "Please Sandra... just serve a bit more... you don't have to render any decisions... just stay a while longer...a few photo appearances..."
    "No.... I have my Aruba tickets already... I'm staying at the same hotel where that blond chick was offed."
    "But Sandra... Bush could overturn Roe V. Wade... think of the women!"
    "I did!"
    "You stink Sandra... "
    "So do you Barby..."

16. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Comedy!