Sandra Day O'Connor Retires

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Garcia, Jul 1, 2005.

1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you say that? Are you certain he's going to appoint at least 3 new justices?

2. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Agreed. The fact that the administration no longer relies on the American Bar Association to help in the nomination of judges tells me that they don't want a legal scholar on the bench, rather a party man who will toe the line no matter what.

3. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chief Justice's health is failing; if George W. Bush tells Renquist to step down, he'll step down...perhaps not immediately in the wake of this O'Connor retirement, but soon! You keep forgetting about the awesome power of the Executive office!

4. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree. I think certain lessons have been learned from the Souter "fiasco", and conservatives will not likely make that mistake twice.

On a side note - today is one of those days you get a guilty pleasure from being a politics wonk. ;)

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Since the Founding Fathers didn't say it, it doesn't count.

6. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    I have ITN on ignore but somehow his posts still end up in my email notifications. Grrr.

The White House rarely tries to force SC justices off the bench. The last instance I recall was when LBJ force Goldberg to the UN so he could put Fortis on the bench. I have read various things that Rhenquist still wants to go on at this point, and that is his right. If there is any pressure on Rhenquist to retire, it could come from his bretheran, since an infirmed justice, especially a CJ, can really impead the workload on the court.

7. TheOriginalLilJon

TheOriginalLilJon New Member

May 9, 2005
    Florida
    This is important because she was big swing vote.

8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And from everything I've read...the workload this term did not suffer because of Rehnquist's health condition. He only missed a month of actually sitting on the bench but still participated in reviewing briefs, conferences and writing opinions.

No one is going to "force" Rehnquist to retire except Rehnquist.

9. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Shockingly, I don't agree with In the Net's assessment that Ted Olson WILL BE the next Supreme Court Justice or that Rehnquist will step down just b/c the White House tells him to. The great thing here is that it's not just a difference in ideology that separates us this time, but actually a reasonable lack of knowledge on his part. Which, again, is shocking.

Now, that's not to say that Rehnquist won't step down. But it won't be because of some order from the White House. Rather, it would be because now he, as a staunch Republican, knows that he would allow the White House to shape judicial policy with one fell swoop. OK, the motivation would be the same, but Rehnquist's respect for separation of powers and the independent judiciary would mean the actual reason would be different.

And that's not to say that Olson won't be the next Justice, but conventional wisdom on the DC legal community has either John Roberts or Michael Luttig as the front runners. They're just conservative enough to fit Bush's desires but not so much as to create excessive confrontation through the confirmation process. My guess is that the White House really does want Rehnquist to step down now, though, so they don't have to decide between the two.

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ;)

....and let me correct my earlier mis-statement....Leah Sears is the first African American woman to serve as Chief Justice of the Ga.S.Ct.

11. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And the Rehnquist ego suggests he'd rather die on the bench.

12. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    If I'm reading the consensus among Dems here, it seems that Gonzalez is OK despite being a clear political appointee who gave legal sanction to a torture policy at the behest of the President. Yet anyone who might threaten Roe is worthy of filibuster to the death.

Interesting set of priorities for an independent judiciary branch.

13. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    As usual I agree with the Gringo. Although i will keep a low profile about it. AG is absolutely the best that the American people can hope for with Bush making the nominations.

14. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    I'm just saying that Gonzalez is going to get strong support if he is nominated. I know the dems will try to stick the tourture thing on him, but he has enough stuff in his favor that would get him approved.

15. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Agree that Roe will be the Holy Grail. But I don't think that is a matter that anyone will touch. Too politically charged...but it will underlie a great deal of thought and discussion.

Bush will certainly appoint the most conservative person that he believes he can get approved...and no matter who that is, there will be an interesting time for all. ;) :)

16. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    That's a pretty weak point. The reason AG would be good is that he is intelligent. With names like Cornyn (moronic empty suit) and then you standard issue republican wack jobs, a guy like Gonzalez seems to have the look of someone who will use the independence of the position to be his own man.

His flaw in the torture policy memos was that he was being an advocate. He was being a lawyer and coming up with what his bosses wanted to hear.

17. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, brain freeze. Ignore that post.

18. JPhurst

JPhurst New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Not really. The fact that Alberto is considered preferred just shows how awful the pool of potential replacements is when you're dealing with this disgrace of a President.

19. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he should go with Thomas for CJ if that post opens up, I could live with Scalia as well.

As for who the replacement should be, I have no clue. It should be someone who shares a similar philosophy to Scalia, Thomas, and Renquist. Someone who believes in federalism would be nice.

20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Gonzalez is a bright fellow and was a respected jurist.....unlike Cornyn or Ashcroft. Olsen is also very bright and would be an interesting choice. McConnell in the 10th Circuit is unlikely, IMO, because he has "Souter" potential.

21. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is terrible news because it will mean a complete meltdown in the Senate IF BushCo appoints a knuckle-dragger to replace the moderate.

My fervent hope is that Reinquist kicks the bucket, giving BushCo a two-fer. In a grand compromise, BushCo appoints one moderate + one knuckle-dragger, thus maintaining the status-quo and giving all parties the opportunity to claim a win.

However, the recent record of BushCo indicates they will likely attempt to streamroll the dems and push through a slate of knuckle-draggers. The nu-kuler scenario is looking pretty damn real right now.

22. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While Scalia and Thomas both make me retch, are they any worse than Reinquist? If not, why not CJ?

23. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    It happened before. Rhenquist was put on the court when he was paired up with a more moderate choice, Lewis Powell.

24. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dog help our country

I fidured that O'Connor retired for family reasons. Her husband is quite ill.

Either that, or she woke up with a horse head next to her in bed recently.

25. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Also, he was following an opinion on the difference between fighting an enemy not clearly defined by geography as opposed to the wars of the past. That opinion had already been handed to him by Ashcroft and others. He was not much more than a secretary/administrative assistant. He "penned" the memo. Nothing more.