Sand League 2022-23 - Organizing Thread

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by blech, Jul 8, 2022.

1. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    To help get you all started as the group is half newcomers, these are the 8 teams/owners that we have locked in for Sand for 2022-23:

FC Epikoinis, @Epikoinos
    Parraraiders, @Mal (smash ya out)
    Stormin Gunners, @Norm Coyle
    Morning Glory, @pato2384
    ___________, @EFC MXM
    ___________, FCSP’s son [big soccer username needed]
    ___________, @winbop
    ___________, @PBJinMyBeard

You should probably start by getting everyone to post in this thread and to provide/confirm their team names and that these big soccer user names are correct. We also need to get a username from the son of @scottk964 . It is also a good idea to have people share what time zone you will be in during the draft, as that will help move things along and minimize frustrations as we don't expect people to draft when they're sleeping.

You'll want someone to act as your organizer. The organizer has no special powers and is just 1 of 8 teams in the division if a dispute arises. The organizer will handle getting the draft randomizer sent out once you're ready, create the draft thread, create the transfer thread for the season, etc.

@tarvinodos may be able to provide the organizer with all of the emails for your group, which you'll need for the draft randomizer and for the google doc. If Tarv doesn't have them all, you'll need to gather any that are missing.

The other leagues look set, but in theory someone in this group could still get a late promotion if someone were to drop out in another division. And, if anyone listed above is not going to actively participate, you should speak up and drop out now so that there is time to recruit a replacement.

For the draft randomizer, most leagues have recently been using an online service where you can put in the team names and emails and the service then sends the draft order out to everyone simultaneous. I believe we used https://www.draftordergenerator.com/ in Small last year. Any of them will work. Once everyone is committed, you can do this as soon as you are ready and everyone agrees.

You'll also need to agree on when you will start your draft. We use a "go slow" method of drafting unless things have completely broken down, and you'll usually sort after the first day or two if you will get in two rounds per day or closer to four. (Historically, two is much more common, especially in the earlier rounds, and then proxies often begin to get used more liberally in later rounds). You'll also find that a pattern often develops and that your draft times each day will often be similar. With the season starting on Aug 5, you should probably plan to start the draft sometime between Friday 7/22 and Monday 7/25 to give yourself time in case the draft stalls. But, as a reminder, the draft board gets frozen once you start your draft, and players who get added to the FPL database after the draft starts cannot be drafted--they will be available on a first-come basis 24 hours after the draft ends.

Especially for those participating for the first time, it may move a little slowly at times, but (a) enjoy it as it only happens once a year and (b) don't get too worried about any of it, as odds are that you will have cut and replaced at least half your team by the end of September!!! :oops:

Feel free to ask questions, but, with that, you now must organize yourselves.

2. pato2384

pato2384 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    #2 pato2384, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2022
    Looking forward to great season…

Morning Glory
    Pato2384
    Central time US

Let the ETH era begin!!!!

blech and kopiteinkc repped this.
  3. EFC MXM

EFC MXM Member

Everton FC
    United States
    May 3, 2022
    #3 EFC MXM, Jul 8, 2022
    REVEALED: Starboy XI (working title)
    EFC MXM
    Pacific Time US

Nice to meet you all. Ready to draft slow whenever works. Is Andre Gomes still available?

blech and glorydaze repped this.
  4. PBJinMyBeard

PBJinMyBeard Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jun 22, 2022
    #4 PBJinMyBeard, Jul 8, 2022
    The Javelina
    pbjinmybeard
    Eastern time US

Looking forward to it!

blech and glorydaze repped this.
  5. scottk964

scottk964 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 1, 2004
    Winchester, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam (my 10-year-old son) will have an email, username, and screen name in the next couple days. Will post here. Expect a team name involving butts, farts, and/or Chelsea...

tarvinodos and blech repped this.
  6. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    Thanks Blech for organizing.

I am on the east coast. I fly back from Boston on Tuesday.

Anyone should email if they need anything.

7. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 Epikoinos, Jul 9, 2022
    FC Epikoinos
    Epikoinos
    U.S. Central time

Is someone planning to create our league in the game? I can do that.

Also, I can create a Google Sheet to track rosters, unless someone else wants to / already has done that

Norm Coyle and EFC MXM repped this.
  8. Journeymen

Journeymen Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Hampshire, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #8 Journeymen, Jul 9, 2022
    You can use this template if you'd like, it's the same one from last year;

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...dGHPHpDw3OiDvfYBm-mzMqFiQ/edit#gid=1723221107

Norm Coyle and pato2384 repped this.
  9. winbop

winbop Member

Everton
    United States
    Jun 22, 2022
    #9 winbop, Jul 9, 2022
    Living In Dreamland
    winbop
    Eastern Time Zone

I’m happy with slow draft.

10. Norm Coyle

Norm Coyle Member+

Jul 14, 2015
    Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 Norm Coyle, Jul 9, 2022
    Stormin Gunners

Eastern time zone
    Fine with slow draft

11. scottk964

Apr 1, 2004
    Winchester, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 scottk964, Jul 10, 2022
    Bigsoccer says he has "insufficient privileges to reply" (anyone know what's up with that?), but my son Sam's info is the following:

Screen name: xxSamxx
    Team Name: Borussia DaMarcus

US Eastern timezone
    Slow draft is fine

12. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think after a certain number of posts on the site he will earn the privilege

13. EFC MXM

EFC MXM Member

Everton FC
    United States
    May 3, 2022
    #13 EFC MXM, Jul 10, 2022
    Thank you!

kopiteinkc repped this.
  14. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    FYI, for everyone's privacy, I asked kopiteinkc to delete everyone's emails (thank you!) so that they're not permanently posted publicly. I've got them all (except for Parraraiders) and have sent them to FC Epikoinis so he'll have them for sharing the GDoc. If anyone else wants them, let me and I can share privately.

Also, as everyone except Parraiders has checked in, I'd feel free to proceed with the Draft Order Randomizer/Generator? Let me know if you'd like me to run it for you, but it's pretty straightforward.

15. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Emails should all be deleted now - if I missed one let me know

blech repped this.
  16. Mal (smash ya out)

Aug 3, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #16 Mal (smash ya out), Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2022
    Parraraiders
    I’m from Sydney, Australia and am happy to start whenever suits. I do shift work but can definitely log on at work and make selections.

Good luck everyone

DrHeckle repped this.
  17. pato2384

pato2384 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Start the randomizer…no reason to hold back the angst of who I pick first and when, before person in front of me picks same player[emoji23]

18. EFC MXM

EFC MXM Member

Everton FC
    United States
    May 3, 2022
    When are you guys thinking to start the draft?

19. EFC MXM

EFC MXM Member

Everton FC
    United States
    May 3, 2022
    It looks like the other leagues are starting on 7/25. That would be fine for me.

20. winbop

winbop Member

Everton
    United States
    Jun 22, 2022
    That would be fine for me too.

21. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Admin weighing in - forgive me

An experienced player needs to run a draft order randomizer to get your draft order done - post it here and email to everyone

Then set up a draft thread for Monday

Vital everyone has each other’s contact info but especially person before and after you

Don’t just pick and walk away from your phone - pick and notify next person

22. EFC MXM

EFC MXM Member

Everton FC
    United States
    May 3, 2022
    Posting the draft order here so it's on this site and everyone can see it. Are we set to go on Monday? Looking forward to it.

Pick #1 - Parraraiders
    Pick #2 - Borussia DaMarcus
    Pick #3 - FC Epikoinis
    Pick #4 - Living in Dreamland
    Pick #5 - The Javelina
    Pick #6 - Starboy XI
    Pick #7 - Stormin Gunner
    Pick #8 - Morning Glory

blech and kopiteinkc repped this.
  23. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    As kopiteinkc mentioned above, a good first step is for everyone to make sure that they know the username of the team right before and right after, and to figure out everyone's preference for how they get notified that they're up. Some team names now added, but most of the usernames are in the first post above.

Assuming that I didn't mess it up, i added the time zones. It worked out nicely to have your on Australia team at an end so it's two picks at once. That should help you keep moving.

Good luck to all of you.

24. scottk964

Apr 1, 2004
    Winchester, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please notify me for any Borussia DaMarcus-related messages. As my son Sam is 10 years old, he has a screen-time limit that he usually hits early in the day, plus he doesn't have a cell phone. Could Parraraiders and FC Epikoinos please message me with your cell #s?

pato2384 repped this.
  25. Norm Coyle

Norm Coyle Member+

Jul 14, 2015
    Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like only 6 managers are entered for sand league? If everyone can check that they are signed into the sand league (and those that are not listed there if you can use the access code to join Sand league) then we can make sure we have the full 8 managers. Thanks!

kopiteinkc repped this.