Sand League 2020-21 Official Draft Banter and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by Hal, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Bilbo43

Bilbo43 Member

Liverpool FC
    Australia
    Aug 24, 2020
    Have to say that i didnt really have one, plenty of "oh, i would not have minded that player" but that is mostly to be expected, my plan for draft was quite in depth, though i made lots of branches and routes to escape from. I was fortunate to get ramsdale as i left my first gk pick till 13th round, however my target was mccarthy originally, so that can be my "you stole my pick" moment for a lack of a better option

blech and kopiteinkc repped this.
  2. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good write up - goalies are always a head scratcher

3. Bilbo43

Bilbo43 Member

Liverpool FC
    Australia
    Aug 24, 2020
    Ill run my own review of each team, first 2 are hal and pacemaker

Pacemakers strengths lie in his attacking potential. Outside of the obvious, auba, pulisic and ings, he has gotten gambles with high potential ceilings such as pepe in a more potent arsenal attack, rodriguez who some pundents are tipping as a potential Pukki impact, maupay who would score a lot of points from a gelling brighton who always surprise and saint maximim who finished the season well.
    Negatives of the side is probably the risk attached to those mentioned high ceiling players. Pepe squeezed out because of willian arrival and saka's form, maupay saint max and rodriguez face potential relegation scraps from teams not finding the net which would effect a small score that perhaps an iheanacho in a free scoring leicester for example could have proved a better scorer off the bench than those starters.
    Overall well balanced and a team that has huge potential and flexibility, not tied too deep into 1 individual sides success, a lack of MCI, LIV or MNU (shaw doesnt really count imo) players is a bit concerning to me however in maximising potential points.

Hals strengths lies from his backline, but this perhaps is his weakness as well. A lot of heavy lifting put on kdb and jiminez's shoulders, and hoping ziyech can fire (im in the camp who thinks he will succeed btw) and a gamble on Alli who has looked good preseason. Troussard and pogba were good selections at those rounds, however for stacking good sheffield defenders and picking top tier goal keepers (best combination probably of all managers) it has come at the risk of picking 2 players with small expected outputs of points. Theres potential for a swoop on a rodrigo potentially just added to the game, but it means leaving less wiggle room if it comes to a high profile addition to the game. The defence is probably the best in the selection of managers with large potential points created there, however i am wandering maybe it was too many expensive options picked when cheaper options could produce similar output of points. For example, stevens and baldock both are 5.5 sheffield defenders who will both score well from clean sheets, but given they have 5 lock in defenders and a goalkeeper who will all look at similar points, was an egan or oconnoll at 5.0 waiting on a later round to enter the sheffield defence and save 0.5m that could filter into upgrades elsewhere but also get a quicker choice into the good options for attackers who were fast drying up. In saying that, the balance of the squad is quite good and i would not be disappointed if this team landed in my lap.

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Awesome keep them coming

5. Bilbo43

Bilbo43 Member

Liverpool FC
    Australia
    Aug 24, 2020
    Next 2 reviews are the adams boys, first mark

Everytime i see marks team i like it more. No huge hitters in forwards, but so well rounded that i dont even care. Add in salah, foden, rashford and you have 3 potential huge hitters, you have the best pick of a defender by daylight, and avenue into 4 of the stingiest expected defences (liv mci mnu and wol) and 2 midfield spots in soucek and armstrong picked well at that stage of the draft.
    What i dont like? Maybe wood being the first choice as forward is a little concerning, but with a stacked midfield and the great 2nd and 3rd choices it probably isnt a big deal. Maybe rotation risk in foden is a concern, but any avenue into cities attack at that stage was a good choice if you hadnt already. Maybe some of the defensive choices i can be critical of, although picking players from those teams i am on board, and even lamptey is a good budget choice in my opinion, laporte could have been walker who i was shocked when i saw him go early on and left me a chance to nab him, boly could have been a cheaper vinagre (or saiss), again i picked him in shock that noone grabbed him. I cant be too critical though, still budgeted with 3m in the bank so heaps to be flexible with. My dark horses for this draft.

Toms turn, and man he scraped in. Love his team and his selections, hit hard and has a very threatening side. What do i like? He has 2 big hitters from every field position and a good goalkeeper. He also supplements it with frugal defensive options (despite the necessity haha) and potentially created the best forward trio in the game. I like the addition of ward prowse, he was on my radar of selections, i dont really like tielemans however i am open to be proven wrong on that selection. Robertson and azpi are nice picks as well, however with chelsea bolstering their attack and tsikitas (prob butchered name) at liverpool they now have a genuine 2nd choice, maybe they both run a risk of rotation. Overall maybe my favourite or 2nd favourite side, what i dont like is the inflexibility in the budget though. It could mean losing jesus or graelish if they dont score points early on just to bring in someone else like a havearts if falling too far behind. Too early to tell, definitely still like the side however.

Tpadams, blech and kopiteinkc repped this.
  6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And full disclosure Tom is my nephew!

7. Bilbo43

Bilbo43 Member

Liverpool FC
    Australia
    Aug 24, 2020
    Next 2 are dave and norm's sides:

I love Dave's side, probably my favourite in the comp. The city trio will cover all rotation just about, theyll each score in top 30 points for the season potentially, add in bergwjin at this stage seeming to be favoured for the wing spot for spurs and pereira whos probably the midfield pick of the teams who came up. Two great forwards and the potential of haller to live up to potential he had last season and I have high hopes for Werner, in hindsight i wish i picked him over aguero on my turn and got mahrez a little later, but no time for concern im splitting hairs here. A lot of positive of daves side and not many negatives i can see. Even leaving his defence till last, i can still get behind it. Only negative i see potentially is limited flexibility to improve any positions, but really, would you improve this team?

Norm hit hard on his forwards. Maybe this will pay off, very impressive choices there. Is his balance out though? Chilwells arrival at chelsea could mean less alonso gametime, an early alonso pick may come at the cost of improving midfield selection. A double on liverpool gks is normally a no-no (removing one of 3 options), but given limited options to enter the side anyway perhaps this is a nice set and forget. Im not crash hot on the defensive options, maybe there were better options at the time, bellerin could exceed expectation though. I would be worried about Lacazette as well. Will be start many games or leave? The other two selections are great however. The midfield, despite saying he could have hit earlier some choices, is still fairly strong and will score points aplenty you would imagine.

blech repped this.
  8. Bilbo43

Bilbo43 Member

Liverpool FC
    Australia
    Aug 24, 2020
    last two reviews are for myself and mal

for myself ill leave it brief. I was happy overall, i like the potential and i like the budget left to start incrementally improving my side, hope is to have improved player values to increase my buying power. I like having most big clubs covered, dislike i missed out on chelsea, in hindsight, werner on my 2nd pick was that move, but not devastating by any means and to try to be objective, I believe I have a chance of competing around the top this year if all goes to plan.

Mal's side has a lot of nice appeal. doherty at a spurs side could be a great move for fpl players, a good gk combo should get him plenty of CS's over the year, fairly nailed on starters in the entire squad (chilwell and mendy exception), low risk which you like that certainty as a manager. What i really like is the strong forwards relative to a lot of other managers and the midfield should all be decent scoring. My question marks are on lundstram however, last years golden goose wont score clean sheets and will get less for goals. Maybe mount is a concern as well with all this chelsea transfer business could squeeze him out or drop him deeper. Love egan, love doherty, love patricio, love mitrovic and fernandes and martial, that core could be great and among the best in the comp, though the rest of the side may drop the ceiling on what is otherwise a nice looking squad.

Thats all of them guys, hope you enjoyed reading them

lobomojo, blech and kopiteinkc repped this.
  9. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great stuff - you are a welcome addition to our leagues

tarvinodos and lobomojo repped this.
  10. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I made the first Post-Draft, Pre-Season Squad Adjustment. As posted in the proper thread, I dropped Aurier D TOT 5.5 and added Thiago D CHE 5.5.

For newcomers, go check out the google spreadsheet and look at the Transfers spreadsheet. You'll see how transfers OUT and IN are posted. Hint: This is a good place to see who's become a free agent agent. Sometimes, you don't get the new player, but someone's cast off might be what you need.

11. Bilbo43

Bilbo43 Member

Liverpool FC
    Australia
    Aug 24, 2020
    you say that now ;)

kopiteinkc repped this.
  12. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I will weigh in with plusses and minuses for each team

Pacemaster14
    Goalies
    Plusses - solid choices - wondering if he will rotate some when each has a difficult fixture.
    Minuses
    Hard to argue these are two solid goalies, not much downside except for when rotation doesn't work and you end up with a clean sheet on the bench!

Defenders
    Plusses
    Tierney certainly has a lot of potential in an improved Arsenal back 3/4 and he gets forward enough to add assists. I had on my own watch list
    Digne and Tarkowski are solid fantasy defenders
    Minusses
    Davies and Shaw are tricky ones for me, will Davies play every week - with Jose who knows and Shaw's injury prone body would make me nervous

Midfield
    Plusses
    Aubameyang was a surprise first pick to many but with his move to midfield he should add to last season's total and he is certainly in great form
    Minuses
    I would be worried about Pulisic's injury record - he is very talented but will he play more than 30 matches?
    I was burned by Maddison on my team last year the goals and assists dried up - i hope he comes back to form this season as Leicester are gonna need him
    Pepe - is he going to play and produce consistently? With Willian and other additions I would worry about his starts and for his price that is a bit concerning

Saint Maximin is in the middle for me - wait and see. He is very talented but Newcastle don't have goal scorers for him to provide assists to. If they add one or Gayle or Carroll catch fire well then he's a bargain

Forwards
    Plusses
    Ings and Maupay are solid and points getters
    The new Leeds lad is unknown in the league of course and could be a great waiver pick up
    Minuses
    Can Ings keep it up? I hope so I love him from his time at Anfield.

Overall a solid squad with a couple of risks which is what this game is about.

Bilbo43 and Pacemaster14 repped this.
  13. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aviators

Goalies
    Plusses
    Two starting keepers with a solid pedigree
    Minueses
    A pricy pair of keepers - 5.5 on the bench every week would concern me
    The only player to hit 11M on keepers

Defenders
    Plusses
    Wan Bissaka and Dunk will be very good choices this year
    Minuses
    Doubling on SHU defenders - I get the strategy but it could backfire if SHU have a second season slump. Wait and see
    Another wait and see is the waiver pick up of the new Chelsea defender. He has quality there is no doubt - can Chelsea stop slipping goals - personally I think they need a new keeper to bring in the clean sheets. Thiago sill help but he needs a better goalie behind him

Midfield
    Plusses - one set of initials KDB! Goals and assists galore - keep away from injuring his knee and you have 200+ points right there
    Trossard is solid
    Minuses
    Which Alli do we get? I am not convinced he is "back" but maybe worth a try
    Wait and see
    Ziyech is a worthwhile risk but he is unknown to the league
    Pogba seemed to do ok in the restart but again he is wait and see for me

Forwards
    Plusses
    Jiminez - great pick and on my list for sure

Minuses - an unusual strategy to go with two late forwards and not very inspired ones at that. Carroll is making a little noise in preseason but his injury record is a huge concern and I am not convinced. McGoldrick is my choice for first out the door when an available forward scores in week 1 (Charlie Austin is having a medical right now in the Aviators training ground!!)

Overall I would say an uneven draft for Hal - weak on forwards and a couple of risks in midfield. May well be relying on KDB massive totals and SHU clean sheets - I expect Hal to be busy in the early transfer market to pick up hot players

14. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Onto Tom

Goalies
    Plusses
    Cheap and cheaper - 8.5!
    McCarthy is solid and a lot of people set and forget and spend the money elsewhere
    Minuses
    When the saints play the big six away it can get ugly - hope those save points are enough

Defenders
    Plusses
    Robertson and Azpi are solid choices
    Wait and see
    Ake should start right? Pep can be infuriating though. He starts and scores all of fantasy world will be all over him - he gets rotated and he gets dumped

Minuses
    I have read about Dallas and Ayling - they seem to be the pundits picks for Leeds defenders - but I worry about promoted defenders
    Saliba is a risk too - will he play immediately?

Midfield
    Plusses
    Mane, Bowen and Grealish should stack up the points
    Minuses
    Ward Prowse moving back to play a more defensive role would worry me
    Tielemans disappointed me last season and I think Leicester are going to struggle this season

Forwards
    Plusses - Kane is a no brainer - he stays fir and you get 175+ points
    Ayew should add a a consistent number of goals but Palace just don't score enough
    Minuses
    How much will Jesus play? Aguero is apparently fit (this week!) and Jesus has been his replacement for about 4 years now - is this his year?

Overall fairly balanced across the team with a few question marks - I expect some early transfer movement to fix any busts

15. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kickin and screamin

Goalies
    Plusses
    Lloris is definitely a pundit pick on all sites I have seen - Spurs are expected to improve on their clean sheets
    Minuses
    Lets hope for no injuries that back up makes me nervous

Defenders
    Plusses
    VVD played every minute of last season and I don't expect that to change and I won't complain if he scores some more
    Saiss is solid
    O'Connell and Bednarek too
    Minuses
    Gossip about Maitland Niles being transferred out which would be a surprise - if he stays this is a good choice

Midfield
    Plusses
    Interesting strategy of three City midfielders. Points are guaranteed and some protection against rotating Pep.
    The West Brom choice had me gnashing my teeth as foolishly I left him too long - I hope he works out and does as promised

Minuses
    Will Bergwijn play enough - he looks very talented abut there is some uncertainty to the Spurs midfield and some rotation

Forwards
    Plusses
    Werner is coming with great fanfare and expectation to Chelsea let's hope he is Costa/Drogba and not Torres/Shivchenko!!
    Minuses
    DCL drie up at the end of the seaons. He should improve form that but how much.
    Haller - can he supplant Antonio - preseason suggests maybe

Overall it is going to be determined some by the City trio and if two of the three forwards can strike gold

16. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Norm and his Stormin Gunners

Goalies
    Plusses
    Being a scouser I have to like both Liverpool goalies - lets hope Adrian plays no matches this season!!! (Ok the league cup)

Minusses
    Like myself we may have overpaid a bit for keepers 10.5 whereas Tom paid 8.5

Defenders
    Plusses
    Mee was on my last as a cheaper Tarkowski and I was frustrated when you got him
    Minuses
    Bellerin is looking at a PSG transfer so that makes me nervous
    Mina and Everton's defending is not convincing yet
    Will Lindelof play
    Will Alonso play

If those players get starts my opinion changes but too many non starts for me

Midfield
    Plusses
    Mostly solid if unspectacular choices - Willian could be a steal
    Minuses
    Even Everton fans are unhappy with Sigi so will wait and se but a negative for now

Forwards
    Plusses
    Despite my Everton negativity I think Richarlison will score and get points
    Vardy is gold

Minuses
    Norm's Arsenal glasses shone and he saw Laca! Is he staying, is he starting? If he stays and starts great - if not then a bust

Overall
    A little uneven - I can handle one or two players who might not start but there seems to be too many of those for my liking

Prove me wrong Norm!

17. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Virgil Reality

Goalies
    Plusses
    A solid choice in Ramsdale and if SHU play as last year he will get clean sheets for you
    And a good cheap back up?
    Minuses
    Don't really see one unless SHU tank

Defenders
    Wait and see
    All solid choices but not too inspiring if I am honest
    Walker - will he be rotated?
    I had Gomez last year - yes he gets clean sheets but no goals or assists worries me
    Vinagre is the pundits cheap option until Jonny comes back so no issues there
    And Walker Peters and Basham should bring in consistent points

Midfield
    Plusses
    Son is a points getter
    Greenwood could be gold if he starts regularly
    Minuses
    Traore has COVID19 so will hep lay the first month?
    I had Barnes last season and he is on the bench a little too much for my liking - when he starts he gets points tho

I don't know the Fulham lad

Forwards
    Plusses
    Aguero fit and starting an absolute steal - injured or rotated and frustrating
    If Firmino can actually score he is a great choice

Minuses
    See Firmino above!
    Nketiah is a good choice but does he start enough

Overall very good and if Aguero plays an excellent draft

18. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Parraraiders

Goalies
    Plusses
    Two starting keepers - hard to argue
    Minuses
    A little of the pricey side 10.5 but possible rotation could help

Defenders
    Plusses
    Mostly solid
    Minuses
    Will Doherty have the same role now he is at Spurs?
    Will Mendy play?

Midfield
    Plusses
    Pundits are very high on Fernandes - so seems like solid points

Minuses
    I am not sure Mount won't get rotated
    Lundstram loses his clean sheet points this season
    Perez is inconsistent and Hernandez untested

These could all be great picks but maybe one risk too mnay

Forwards
    Plusses
    Martial should be solid points
    Minuses
    Two promoted forwards is a bit of a gamble but just needs one to catch fire - Mitrovic seems the most likely

A good draft with too many risks for me but if tey catch on and get points well then well done!!

19. Bilbo43

Bilbo43 Member

Liverpool FC
    Australia
    Aug 24, 2020
    Great reviews mark. You hit the pros and cons of my side i was considering, traore is concerning to me as well, apparently waiting on a test again so he could be ok, but with plenty of transter activity still in motion, im happy to use him first out the door if i see someone i can upgrade too. Part of the reasoning of dropping anguissa was to improve my budget flexibility. Nketiah is my biggest worry and probably biggest gambled leading into gw 1. Need to see what happens and there could be a late transfer if my feet get too cold on him

kopiteinkc repped this.
  20. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    Now that I've swapped TOT D Aurier for CHE D Thiago in defense and NEW F Carroll for BUR F Rodriguez, any need to revise your analysis?

21. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I think it's a significant upgrade from NEW F Carroll to BUR F Rodriguez. Going from a maybe temporary starter to a nailed on one. I also think dropping Aurier for Thiago was an improvement. I'm not sure where Mourinho is going to play Doherty. Seems like he and Aurier are similar assets, both competing for the same spot. It will be interesting to see how Mourinho fits them both into his squad at the same time.. I also thought I heard a rumor of Aurier being traded. Thiago is the leader of the defense that Lampard needed.

lobomojo repped this.
  22. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    Virgil Reality, I wanted you to know how close you came to getting Rodriguez.

My wife had to get up early to run an errand, it woke me so I went to check if Rodriguez was added yet.
    My swoop must have beaten you by a few seconds. So you can blame my being lucky that my wife had an early morning errand to run.

Normally, I wake up 2-3 times per night to use the bathroom or unlock leg cramps. When I'm up, I move the wash to the dryer, let out the dog for his business and also check the FPL site for new transfers.

23. Bilbo43

Bilbo43 Member

Liverpool FC
    Australia
    Aug 24, 2020
    Haha it isnt the end of the world. I took too long writing up my transfer request by adding in wilson.

24. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just a quick reminder to load your team correctly into the fantasy site before Saturday and if you make any transfer adjustments this week so add those players in too

25. Norm Coyle

Norm Coyle Member+

Jul 14, 2015
    Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought this was going be a wash this week with my Defs and Mids doing nothing, but Capt Vardy to the rescue. Hat trick hero!