Sand League 2018/19 Official Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by DrHeckle, Jul 31, 2018.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with 7:15 a.m. I may even be awake! LOL!

kopiteinkc repped this.
  2. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not a bad starting time. Early AM in US, evening in Australia and South Asia. Hard to imagine a better compromise.

kopiteinkc repped this.
  3. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally, do we want it set for Head to Head and for No Trades?

4. DrHeckle

DrHeckle BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 12, 2010
    Cairns
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think Head to Head is more fun, and since we are breaking new ground here lets give it a go. I think it is harder to fall too far behind etc if H2H, and hard to blow everyone away.

As far as no trades, that means no trades between each other. I can see the appeal of that, but too many grey areas so might leave that out for this year. Maybe as we get more experience we can try that?

5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand and am fine with it.

In my experience, there is virtually no 'accumulation of total points' type of fantasy that really uses trading to any great value. There is no real motivation for trading except that one manager thinks a player may be producing more in the future and the other manager thinks differently.

The original Rotisserie Baseball (hence, nearly all subsequent fantasy baseball games) players earn points in categories of stats such as Home Runs, Batting Average, Strike Outs, etc. Since your points are earned for each category separately, a big lead in a category doesn't translate into a big lead (First place is only worth maximum points, further ahead first place is worth not a bit more). So, trading a player who's earning you some Home Runs which you lead and will do no worse than 2nd place (most likely) in exchange for a player who has tremendous batting average that can move you from 5th place in that category to 2nd place in the category is Extremely worth it for you and possibly worth it for the other player who will get the opposite tradeoff (usually).

In Soccer terms, we would accumulate categories such as Goals, Assists, Keeper Shut Outs, Key Passes, Yellow/Red cards (in which low numbers are better). Trades can be valuable for both teams, thereby motivating trading. As far as I can tell, no fantasy soccer system offers that kind of game.

6. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    So draft is totally different no captain or anything. Is there any way for people in Small and VSR to see how the Sand League is doing?

7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just so folks know. If I'm not mistaken, the randomization of the serpentine draft order is done immediately at the start of the draft and it starts right at the time indicated. The first up will have 90 seconds to make their first pick, the second pick will be made no more than 3 minutes into the draft, and so forth. So, make sure you are online and ready, or have a 'watchlist' set up.

Sonabert, Jacob Taylor and DrHeckle repped this.
  8. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not in this league but glad you guys are experimenting

In a league in this format last year and the waiver system is used for transfers - except in the last 24 hrs before a Gameweek - depended a lot on being online on a Friday most weeks

9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If y'all are nice, we might post periodic updates... if y'all are nice.

DrHeckle repped this.
  10. DrHeckle

DrHeckle BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 12, 2010
    Cairns
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yes I will endeavour to do a weekly update. There will be head to head games so will make interesting writing. The All Rocks crew can keep up with what is going on with the experimental Sand League :)

11. Sonabert

Sonabert Member+

Jul 29, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    did a draft last week , fully completed in 40 minutes. If everybody is online it moves very quickly.

BalanceUT repped this.
  12. Norm Coyle

Norm Coyle Member+

Jul 14, 2015
    Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool that the draft went smoothly, just had a quick question. This draft league setup doesn’t have weekly captain points, is that correct?

kopiteinkc and BalanceUT repped this.
  13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's correct. No captains picked, no special extra points weeks, no play the whole damned bench weeks. Just head-to-head-in-your-face-11-v-11-don't-blink-you'll-miss-it action.

14. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good luck Sandies!!

Jacob Taylor, DrHeckle and Norm Coyle repped this.
  15. Norm Coyle

Norm Coyle Member+

Jul 14, 2015
    Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a Sand banter thread? If not we need to create one, it is a cathartic outlet during the season. I had Pogba on the bench today:eek: so praying one of my starters doesn’t play this weekend so I get his 10 points:thumbsup:

16. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Norm Coyle repped this.