"San Jose's Shotgun Offense"

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by QuakeAttack, Oct 2, 2003.

1. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose's Shotgun Offense

Article on MLSNet.com:

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/90min1002sj.html

DeRosario, a Canadian national team player, echoed Donovan’s sentiments about playing in Yallop’s system. He added that, given the opportunity, he would relish playing under Yallop with the Canadian team, if Yallop were named the coach.

“He’s done everything a coach would want to do. He’s won coach of the year. He’s won a Cup. The only thing he has not done is win a league,” he said. “He’s accomplished everything a coach needs to do. I think for him, he’s kind of fulfilled his dream in a short span in MLS and he’s looking for higher things, which is the national team.”

I would love to win the MLS Cup, but we could very well lose both Yallop (Canada National Team) and Donovan (great time for MLS and Bayer to sell him).

2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose's Shotgun Offense

I say it's about freakin' time MLS and writers and other teams fans start to notice this team! Like Donovan has said in the numerous recent articles written, the Earthquakes have been the best team in MLS for 3 years now. Nobody gave the Quakes a chance, yet they went about quietly leading MLS for this entire season, battling through unbelievable injuries (that are still ongoing) and yet still cranking out results. Now that we have the dynamic duo clicking and we're winning in spectacular fashion, everyone else is finally starting to take notice. Go Quakes! All the way, baby!! :)

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am adamantly opposed to Frank Yallop being coach of the Canadian national team; he should be head coach of the United States national team.

4. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the U.S. starts losing WC 2006 qualifiers ( which I don't will happen ) and Arena wants to quit for some reason then that'll be OK by me. Yallop has performed miracles, often overlooked. It's funny how all the other coaches and MLS players are always being hyped. When it comes to the Quakes the comments are pretty simple and short. " The Quakes are at the top, FY has done a good job", then that's it. If he does go for some reason, would the Dominator be the new SJ coach by default ?

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Jose's Shotgun Offense

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It's doubtful that'll happen anytime soon. :cool:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I think the timing is very interesting that the CSA is waiting until November/December to name its new MNT coach...noting that November/December is the earliest that FY would be available. If FY weren't the top candidate, would they wait so long? Hmmmmm? If the coach of the WNT were the top candidate, wouldn't they name him as the MNT coach following the WWC campaign? Hmmmmmmm? And what does DeRo know about the situation that we don't? Hmmmmmmm?

7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Re: San Jose's Shotgun Offense

Except for last year. But 2 out of three ain't bad. As a Metros fan, though, I'll show myself out and shut up.

8. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Re: Re: San Jose's Shotgun Offense

Yes, last year did not end too well for the Quakes.
    What StillKickin and Landon probably mean is that no other team in MLS has had a better run in the past three years than the Quakes. The Quakes won MLS Cup in 2001, came in second in the Supporters' Shield race in 2002 after leading the standings for most of the season and are currently in good shape to capture the Shield and perhaps, just maybe the Cup this year.

Regarding Coach Yallop, I think he is probably headed back north of the border after the season. He has accomplished a lot in MLS and probably feels its time for a new challenge.

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: San Jose's Shotgun Offense

Yeah, that's what I meant. We were a force to be reckoned with last year defending our championship, staying at the top of the league throughout the season. That's something Galaxy can't say for this season, can they? They've got to be about the worst excuse for a defending champion that I've seen.

10. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Jul 17, 1999
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: San Jose's Shotgun Offense

I'm sure they're happy joining Kansas City in the One-Hit Wonder Club (i.e. the we can't defend our championship club) of MLS.

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: San Jose's Shotgun Offense

Coming back after a championship to defend your title and come up with a good record is a difficult thing to do. The only MLS teams that have done that are DC United and the Earthquakes, and it should be remembered that the league is now a lot stronger than what it was when DC was on top.

12. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Jul 17, 1999
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: San Jose's Shotgun Offense

I would add the 1999 Chicago Fire to that list, as they went 18-14 for 48 points (53 points if you got rid of the shootout) in a 32 game season, and finished third in a strong Western Conference that year.

The defending champs records (without the shootout):

1997 DC United 17W 8D 7L 56PTS 1.75 Pts/Game
    1998 DC United 17W 10D 5L 61PTS 1.91 Pts/Game
    1999 Chicago 15W 8D 9L 53PTS 1.66 Pts/Game
    2000 DC United 8W 6D 18L 30PTS 0.94 Pts/Game
    2001 KC Wizards 11W 3D 13L 36PTS 1.33 Pts/Game
    2002 SJ Quakes 14W 3D 11L 45 PTS 1.61 Pts/Game
    2003 Scum (so-far) 8W 8D 10L 32 PTS 1.23 Pts/Game

So I think Chicago really should be in that list.

Then again, we did choke out in the playoffs, and LA could do something in the post season, but in the regular season, they've joined the Wizards in that club.

13. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yallop might be commiting career suicide if he decides to coach Canada. It's almost impossible for them to get through even with the extra half spot. International management is different. Not all coaches who succeed in club level found success in international level. Although it might be higher pay than SJ though. He is better off trying to find his way to England I think.

14. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    and vice versa, let us just remember the great ny fiasco of 1999.

15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    While the Canada gig might go down badly, in no way would it be career suicide. I would imagine a slew of MLS teams would give Yallop a job in a heartbeat. Right now, teams like Dallas, Columbus and maybe even Kansas City would give him an offer (and don't forget Tom Neale works in NY and would most certainly appreciate Yallop if Bradley were to move into the national team ranks...)

One thing that people keep forgetting is Frank's lack of "head coaching" experience. He only has 3 seasons. Bruce Arena and Steve Sampson had WAY more head coaching experience and both admitted making big mistakes in their early international games. Yallop will have to hit the ground running and the margin for error will be VERY slight.

16. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Yallop did exactly that when he took over the Quakes only three days before the 2001 SuperDraft. ;)

17. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some success at the international level with Canada, even if it wasn't a world cup berth might be enough to open a door in England after his proven soccess with the Quakes. You have to think that FY would love to get a chance in EPL.

18. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Cringing

Back to D&D:

Y'all know I'm fired up to have DeRo back and the Quakes playing this kind of offense, but I cringe when I see Dwayne out there.

Look how much he discusses the injury in this article. He did come back early, and you can sometimes see clumsiness in his play. Primarily, that's an issue of proprioception IMO.

Also, the injury is still in his head, which means he won't always react instinctively even if he could.

You can see it in Mathis too. For example, if these guys get bumped off a header, they won't land with cat-like spring. You'll see them backpedal awkwardly, stiff-legged. My theory is that you can build up the muscles, and you can practice things like sprinting and shooting by rote - but not the random athletic stuff that soccer involves.

Compared to strengthening, where there seems to be a variety of cybex machines for every muscle, I think physiotherapy is in the dark ages when it comes to rehabilitating this vague relationship of balance, spatial awareness and movement. I suspect that's one reason guys with tree trunk legs like Tab Ramos go out and tear their ACL's again.

It takes a lot to get that natural proprioception back, and while it's great to think that Dwayne is only going to get better, I worry about him putting himself at risk by playing big games in real time before he's ready.

19. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He sure did great on that draft, too.

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Cringing

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "No, I'm not from Kansas City!"
    [​IMG]

21. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Not the dark ages I was talking about, but somebody more Advanced than I could probably rate proprioception in terms of dexterity, hit points and constitution.