San Jose vs Chivas Derby(?)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Metrohooligan101, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good old Arab proverb! :D

And, I agree with Blacktide. Chivas USA will not be seen as an LA team.

2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  3. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    I hope so too! I didn't think so at first, but now I'm beginning to agree with the hype that this really could be the most significant addition or change to MLS yet (well, other than the trend of getting stadiums built).

4. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    It will give the Quakes practice dealing with hostile crowds for their road games. :D

5. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    Of course, it will be watered down compared to the 100% Mexican side of the real team. But it will still be, by far, the most "Mexican" looking team in pro/semi-pro soccer in the U.S. It will likely have 9 international players from Mexico, and the rest will be preferentially either Mexicans with green cards or Americans of Mexican descent who also speak Spanish. While they won't be able to achieve this level of "Mexicanism" at all times, depending on which players are available in MLS, I think they'll work with trades etc. to keep trying to move in that direction.

6. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    I totally agree with this. In fact, I'd love to see, eventually, several more of the major Mexican club owners own MLS teams (of course assuming that at least as many non-Mexican-owned MLS teams have been added as well).

Considering the huge Mexican population in Los Angeles (the world's 2nd largest Mexican city outside Mexico City itself) I wonder if more than one of these Mexican-owned clubs couldn't be located there? I assume huge rivalries and numerous instant sellouts could arise.

7. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, Red. I doubt it. We have much stiffer anti-discrimination laws than what Mexico has (one of the reasons that Vergara's plan was doomed before it left the dock). Any attempt to load a US group with members of one particular ethnic group is going to bring down the stink-hammer.

8. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does that make us Juventus? ;)

9. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddies, I'm taking a different tact here. I see them as an LA team in regards to location. Vergara has bigger ideas where he sees his club as one for "the native (Hispanic/Mexican et al) masses"--already the Galaxy fans are a bit nerved because they think, from my observation, that Chivas USA will displace them as the local team due to brand recognition.

LA v SJ is the major rivalry. Chivas USA has the same trappings of such for the same reason.

If Vergara has the thought that Chivas USA will be the home team in the other cities, he is duly mistaken. Sure the natives will come out but there's the camp where they will cheer for Chivas and those that will boo them.

Anything from Southern California, regardless of club, is still seen as such. Take out LA, put in San Diego and you stil have a rivalry. Place in both and San Diego will be overshadowed by it's more larger neighbor. Cheers!

10. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    I think if you put CD Chivas USA in LA, SD, Houston, or Chicago, they would still be the home team in most cities and would not be viewed as an [insert city here] team.

I am curious to see if America fans, Atlas fans, or other Mexican fans will come to root against Chivas. My guess is that there will be some, but not in extremely significant numbers.

11. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want a manufactured rivalry. LA is a rivalry for reasons on the field. Not because we all sat down and decided it should be.

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the stands, too. :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

13. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Well, good...a rivalry on the field and in the stands. If the attendence for a visiting side is such that it nearly splits our crowd 50-50 or 60-40 or whatever, then there will be an even greater inspiration for Quakes' fans to MAKE SOME NOISE and SHOW 'EM WHOSE HOUSE IT IS!!!!

One of the things the old NASL did right, IMO, was to have that one great, powerhouse team that everyone could agree to hate (or love, in the case of their fans.) That would be the Cosmos, of course. Given the widesweeping brand recognition of Chivas across the US and the already simmering sentiment of US soccer vs. Mexican soccer superiority, I believe it won't be long before Chivas becomes MLS's Cosmos--not necessarily because they have ALL the star power but because they will have their hardcore followers and they will also become detested by opposing fans in cities across the country--like the Yankees in baseball. It'll be even stronger if Chivas is perceived to be bending the rules.

14. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is going to be the case. However, Chivas is going to be controlled with the salary cap. No exceptions.

It will be like the Yankees and Red Sox when they come to town--their fans and the haters will be out in full force. We'll see.