San Jose vs Chivas Derby(?)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Metrohooligan101, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    Of course everyones talking about the LA galaxy-chivas derby and the future matchups that are on its way but what about the Earthquakes and Chivas games, im sure they'll be just as good, San jose's still california, im sure there'll be a lot of chivas fans up there in the bay, if this topic was addressed already im sorry but im just curious about the quakes and the goats, what do you guys think?

2. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Re: SAN JOSE vs CHIVAS DERBY

not really a derby, maybe a threesome at best

3. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    Re: SAN JOSE vs CHIVAS DERBY

This doesn't really float my Goat. And I'm a Chivas fan whose family comes from Guadalajara. They're really just another team from LA.
    I prefer to keep hating the Galaxy with every ounce of breath in my body.
    Maybe the rivalry will build up. I hope so.
    Only when we play the REAL Chivas will I be neutral.

4. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    It's San Jose in my books.

5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree that I don't believe this one is going to be tailor-made, like the immortal battle of good vs evil (i.e. Quakes vs Filth). However, it might prove fun in the long run. My only concern is that it will bring a lot of local Mexican fans who don't give a rat's posterior about the Quakes and who will cheer against the local boys and for the goat-boy wanna-be's and has-beens from Carson...

6. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    Being Mexican I'd say they'd come out in droves for the Chivas, but it won't last long once they realize that it's a an ethnically watered down version. Vergara's no dummy and he realizes this, but he also realizes that the name itself will still give his team the largest following in MLS.

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Maybe, but I do thing Vergara's smart enough to keep stocking the team with players from Guadalajara like Palacio who are nearing the end of their career but will still draw the fans. I anticipate that this will be the most instantly successful soccer franchise in US history.

8. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its gonna be loads of fun... I don't know how many, but whatever fans of Chivas come out, they will be fired up, which will fire us Quakes fans as well. I think at least at first the atmosphere is going to be electric for their games!!

Lee

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's IMHO the most interesting part of the LA Chivas move into MLS. Will Mexican Liga fans come out when the Chivagirls come into town to support a "Mexican" owner/club??? Or will they come out as who they really are in supporters of Tigres, America and Atlas to support their local MLS side, looking for pleasure from the misery of their rival colors from back home???

I remember a few years back when Luisa Hernandez was with LAG and when he scored a goal against K.C. at Arrowheard, their was a Latino dude in the stands wearing a K.C. Chiefs gridiron jersey waving a Mexican flag and celebrating LAG scoring against K.C. in the same stadium that his #58 plays in!
    This is the problem MLS faces. A dude appears to support the K.C. home teams....just not when it comes to the beautiful game. That's when he dumps the home side and puts culture ahead of town allegance.

10. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    I think it's gonna be a blast! I hope that a goodly number of Chivas fans do come out to watch...that's the idea, isn't it? Raise the awareness and attendence of the league. Sure, it'd be a bummer if the Chivas fans outnumbered the Quakes' fans at Spartan on some given weekend but, from a business standpoint, that's great for the Quakes and MLS. Besides, I doubt there are many MLS teams that won't confront the same issue when Chivas visits their town.

We've been taking so much guano about our attendence for so long, imagine a schedule that saw both LA squads pass through Spartan twice?...mix in a visit a season from Freddy Wunderkind and you have 5 near/full sellouts of the building. That's nearly a third of the home fixtures with a packed house. The guys have always said how amped up a big crowd gets them.

Yea, I'm alright with Chivas' presence in the league. In fact, I can't wait to yell my new chant at the co-tenant Galaxatives next year. It goes a little something like this..

"Chivas b*tches!" clap, clap, clap-clap-clap
    "Chivas b*tches!" clap, clap, clap-clap-clap :)

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmm... Chivagirls! [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

12. jussen1

jussen1 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    SJ
    If the league does the schedule correct they should put the KC and Colorado games as the last two so we get the youth team parades. These two last games could make for 7 near/full sellouts.

13. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Yes, It'll be a derby.

Hatred between the two teams will grow so intense that the Quakes and the Galaxy will reconcile their differences, become the very best of friends, and join forces to fight their new enemy.

Happy Thanksgiving.

14. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose v Chivas will still be tense and spirited given that they too are an LA team. Now as for the crowds, we'll see who will come out--those to cheer on for Chivas or those who will just come out to boo them.

There will still be that intensity that plays between San Jose and Los Angeles. It gets greater for both teams--LA and Chivas--since they will be sharing the same stadium--think Milan.

Still should be good--I just want it to be spirited and fun especially since the last Mexican friendly I attended in 1998 it was just too much. Cheers!

15. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    Is that lost scripture from the book of Revelation?

16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Send em back to mEXico.

17. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
  18. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All that needs to be said:

Chivas who? What the hell's a Chivas?

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Chivas" is Spanish for "Goats".

[​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

20. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
  21. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never heard of 'em.

22. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    ...and Jamil.

I welcome this "derby". Then again, I'm not afraid of Mexicans. And, FWiW, I could see some Mexican fans showing up to root against Chivas EEUU. And I could also see some fans of the "real" Chivas booing Chivas EEUU, or staying away in droves, if they suck.
    That only happens on wrestling and in comic books.

23. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Dunno about you, but the enemy (CD Chivas) of my enemy (LA Galaxy) is my friend.

24. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    [COUGH]fourth place[/COUGH]
    [COUGH]again back-line[/COUGH]

It's LA vs. Bay Area. It absolutely has the potential of being Real-Barca-Atletico Madrid trinity of derbies. Yes, Atletico-Barca is a big deal, only eclipsed recently by Valencia-Barca for the 2nd most important game of the season.

25. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    I disagree that this is an LA team. There is a reason they are named CD Chivas USA and not CD Chivas LA....they plan on being the home team in most US stadiums. This game in my mind is not a Bay Area vs. LA Area game.