San Jose to offer $80 million for expansion Earthquakes stadium?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Metrofan CP, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Metrofan CP

Metrofan CP Member

Jan 20, 1999
    NJ
    It would still need voter approval but......wow

2. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
  3. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Holy crap. If this goes through, its a huge victory for MLS. Although if my tax money was going to this thing, I'd be pretty outraged.

4. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
  5. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. wonko389

wonko389 New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    jax, fl
    If they are willing to throw around that kind of money why the hell are the quakes leaving?

7. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    This sounds good and all, but I'm with Footer on this one...there is no way in hell this passes with voters the way its laid out there.

8. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What I find interesting was in the end, it was SVS&E's unwillingness to take the final leap that lead to the Earthquakes having to pull up shop and go to Houston. What in the world were they thinking? How big of an assurance do you need that the league isn't going to fold then all the concreate going down in every city around the league.

The twist and turns this thing has taken over the last couple years is just amazing. When it's all said and done, with hopefully the new quakes in SJ, I can't wait to read the SSV tell all book.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't believe the political will to throw that kind of money around is really there. The most telling comment to me was Cortese's: "My guess is politically what's going on is there are some people willing to support that deal to make Earthquakes fans happy immediately, but this is never going to happen ... Those are bogus sources of money they're pointing to.''

10. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    This is one of those things that sound so ludicrus that it might actually happen....

11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    This looks a lot like a poison pill proposition that will never get passed that provides political cover. Still, if it isn't, or if they find other sources of construction costs. Wow.

12. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    Wouldn't it be much easier to get people to vote for that deal if we still had a team?

14. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder.

If MLS were to say you will definitely get your team back (well, an expansion one, but still the San Jose Earthquakes) if this goes through, I think that would be enough of a committment.

15. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA

My thoughts exactly. Why plop down $80 mill when you already have/had a team.

Coulld SJ have contructed a nice SSS for less than $80 mill?

16. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eliminating basically half the benefit of the stadium to the investor. The speculative revenue from non-MLS events is a counterbalance to the far more speculative revenues from the team itself. One can argue it's still attractive because the city covers more than half the front-end cost and shares risk and incentive to make it work. However, the following is evidence to the contrary:

17. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

Again though, as a voter, I'd tell MLS to shove it at this point, and I'm someone who LIKES soccer.

18. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You got to love Mark Purdy. So with all the arguments you can make about a publically subsidized stadium, and they are numerous, the only one he could come up with was...it's bad because it's for soccer????? Nice one from the quy who said AEG was just bluffing in the first place and that EQs could just go on for ever in Spartan stadium.

On the other hand I could see other voters being as ignorant as he is about soccer. Which is why the mention of the A's owner as a potential investor is interesting. Let's say SJ want's the A's and I'd guess the A's want a new stadium too(which BB team doesn't), however, SJ isn't sure they have the votes from just BB fans. Now you throw in a soccer stadium into one bill to get soccer fans out to the polls and you might have something like what happened in Seattle with Seahawk Stadium.

19. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    Exactly. The guy had no understanding at all of what was going on, but he seems to be very quick to respond to Earthquakes items. If he has any sort of readership, it's worrying.

20. yure323

yure323 New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Necropolis
    Why do they have go give $14 million in operating subsidies ?
    Couldn't they save that money and just start playing in a new stadium from the beginning ?

21. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cause a bluff only works if once in a while you actually go through with it.

Do you really think this would happen if they hadn't yanked the team?

22. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    The Bay Area is not really an important market. We need to expand to Uranium City and Parry Sound.

23. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow this offer is a great offer if it had come earlier. So the SVE could not come to terms with this kind of deal or did the city offer this after seeing that they got screwed.

24. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This does not seem like a real offer. It sounds like damage control for the politicians. They don't want to take the blame so they make it seem that it was somebody else's fault for turning down their generous (phantom) offer.