San Jose Mercury News (Wednesday, 11/5/03)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, now Arturo might be unavailable this weekend as well? In addition to Ching and Robinson, we may have lost DeRo and Corrales with hamstring injuries. Now possibly Alvarez, too.

What's the deal with Ekelund? I don't think he was even listed as an available sub on the broadcast of the first playoff match. Hadn't heard that he's injured, but perhaps I missed it.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The article is terrible news. It gives the distinct impression that Yallop doesn't care about the playoffs at all.

Face it, Yallop. You are going to lose the playoffs the same way you lost the regular season title - to a Los Angeles team you badly underestimated.

4. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    Yallop has lost his focus....maybe it has been redirected towards the Canadian National Team....at least then he will still have DeRo....

5. SJEarthquakes

SJEarthquakes New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Boston Area
    'Gazidis conceded that the current playoff system isn't perfect because it is geared to accommodate future expansion. ``Eight out of 10 teams isn't ideal,'' he said. ``But we want to expand to more than 10 teams. We're trying to have consistency over a period of time. If we change the playoffs to include six or four teams, knowing it's going to expand, the number is going to have to change again.'''

FUTURE EXPANSION!!!!!!! This league is barely hanging on. Wasn't it just last year that two teams folded because MLS financially couldn't keep them! We've already seen the women's league go down, and yet the men's league is talking about EXPANSION!!!!! Not even the NBA, NHL, and MLB can handle the number of teams each one has!

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Duh.

Expand the playoffs as you expand the league...match the proportion as you go. MLB has, NFL has...it just makes sense (which is why MLS will never do it).

7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Just a friendly reminder, if it wasn't for the "playoffs", San Jose wouldn't have ever won anything. When you guys won in 2001, you were the 5th best team in the league, last year you won nothing, this year you would have won nothing, so basically, he's just complaining because he's a poor coach who doesn't understand the system he plays under, and bitching about it is about as pointless as bitching about the referees.

Not to mention you guys were actually a better team on the road then at home....

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, are you full of sh!t! Only a Scum Troll would say something like that.

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well, most of what you say is absolutely right.

but to say yallop isn't a good coach? either you're dumb or just very, very bad at talking smack.

10. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sure he's a good coach, he's just a bad coach in the sense that he hasn't prepared his teams for the playoffs this year, sorry if I didn't make that clear in my post.

He doesn't understand the system, or he would have realized before allowing his players to get complacent and "not care" about the last two games of the regular season against the Galaxy. If he understood he would realize (along with Eric "I'm an ex pro I know everything about soccer" Wynalda), that doing poorly (and horrid in a 3-0 defeat) two games in a row against a team you have to play 2 more times in a do or die playoff series was going to have a negative affect against his team.

I'm not meaning to troll (well a little, but more to get a good discussion then make you guys angry), so put me on the ignore list, or just ask me not to post any more and I'll be gone from here. Sorry.

11. ThePenguin

ThePenguin New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    I think Frank and rest of the Earthquakes understand how BIG this game is on SUNDAY. So I believe that they will be ready for a BATTLE. I have faith in my team and NOT THE MEDIA. I've come to realize that whatever the Mercury News says it probably has been overexaggerated.

FRANK CARES!!
    DOMINIC CARES!!!
    ALL THE EARTHQUAKES CARE!!!

GO QUAKES!!!

See everyone on SUNDAY!!!

12. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > I have faith in my team and NOT THE MEDIA.

Maybe you should read the article. It wasn't the "media" making the comments, it was Yallop and Donovan making the comments. The article simply quoted them.

13. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

dude, we can hear you. stop shouting.

14. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    No one said cancel the playoffs. The question is whether the regular season should count for something.

2001 Earthquakes: 18-8-6 (13-7-6 regular season)

2003 Galaxy: 10-12-9 (9-12-9 regular season)

Be sure to come back and post when your team finishes ahead of someone other than Dallas.

2001 Quakes won 3 playoff games on the road, like the 2003 Galaxy should have to.

15. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So if the quakes come back and win, then win the cup, they'll at most have 2 road wins in the playoffs, so does that some how make their crown not worthy of you're lofty expectations?

16. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all it's "your" not "you're."

Second of all, piss off troll.

17. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Profiled went to the "topper school of trolling" and doesn't know any better. All the same, I agree with you Erin, piss off troll, begone!