San Jose Mercury News (Wednesday, 10/27/04)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 27, 2004.

1. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First...thanks to those who have shared the kind words about SSV and our efforts. It is greatly appreciated by all of us.

Obviously I cannot share a lot of information at this time. However, we all must keep in mind that what is reported in the paper is perhaps only 5 - 10% of the story. The picture is much bigger than what is being painted in the media.

SSV continues to work every angle possible, and we remain optimistic that we will be in a position to present a positive solution.

Just hang in there and take everything with a grain of salt. There is much much more that isn't being reported for various reasons. We obviously hope that we will be in a position to share postive news with you all in the near future.

Until then...keep your hopes high, support our boys in blue, continue to write your council members and mayors, and most of all.....NEVER GIVE UP!!!

2. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Tony, that is good to hear.

Go SSV, Stay Quakes!

Tony

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm usually on the Goodsport side of the glass half-empty/half-full debate. Usually I see the glass as overflowing, one step shy of Goodsie's "Oh my GOD! It's a geiser!

This glass is empty. :(

4. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I've got two full glasses right now, so you can take one of mine :D

5. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Amen, Brother!!!!!!!!

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wait... Am I allowed? I'm afraid that ya'll will think I've come over from the dark side.

Can I get all Diva and start making demands about the glass container (please, no plastic, only glass) and the contents of the glass (premium, artesan vodka made here in the Bay Area, w/ oj, of course. And no pulp. Please. It's for the kids.) ;)

7. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    I totally agree!

Even with all the rumours this year, our attendance was UP at Spartan!

Also, how would the season ticket deal work if different venues were picked? I pledged 5 season tickets this year. I can't see too many first time season ticket buyers, however, actually getting season tickets if the venues change.

Anyway, I guess one hurdle at a time, huh?

8. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    it is this optimism that this board constantly needs...

Thanks SSV!

NEVER GIVE UP!

GO QUAKES!

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My sympathies exactly, dop. And I agree with almost everything everyone is saying right now. Doesn't sound so good.

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take this as meaning "don't listen to Alexi!"

11. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Please, specify which Alexi did you mean :)

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Greek, not the Russian! ;)

13. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this hurts... I guess we should have known it wouldn't be that easy. Best of luck to Tony.. I hope he pulls through

14. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope...that's not what I'm saying at all. Alexi is supporting us and doing what he can. I realize that a lot of that may not be seen by the masses, but he is doing a great job. Alexi is simply summing up the situation, and you can't blame him for that. Sometimes reality is a very difficult thing to hear. However, as stated before....there is much more to the story that isn't being reported.

We all also must understand that this is business. There is a lot of positioning that goes on in business deals like this. The problem is the paper only reports a small portion of what is going on because only certain information can be made public at this time. There is a lot of things SSV is working on that cannot be disclosed at this time, so you won't be hearing about it until the proper time. That's why we can't drown ourselves in the gloom and doom that is reported in the press, because there is always much more going on.

Again, SSV is looking into every option, and creating a few of our own along the way. Alexi, the front office, and everyone else we turn to, have been, and continue to be, very supportive and helpful in our efforts.

15. MLSFAN20

MLSFAN20 New Member

May 20, 2001
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Earthquakes right now really don't need another distraction to all this unsettling talk of whether they will be back next year. Can't this wait til after their playoff run for crying outloud?!?

16. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true that

17. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Those latest comments by Alexi were the most "real" comments that i've heard him speak. It wasn't propaganda nor a smokescreen......It was the first time I actually felt he was being GM-ish and not just a puppet. As for Amanpour....i'm concerned about his thirst for the limelight. He definately likes the attention.......so much so that one might think he would take on a task that was beyond his means. Even if it falls through, don't we have another season now for SSV to yank a rabbit out of a hat?......They did alot in a month, imagine what they could do with six......just my lil ol .02! :)

18. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    This is what I was afraid of all along...we've put all our eggs in one basket.

When Amanpour came along we all latched onto him as our "saviour", in spite of all the other investor sources that were supposedly being worked. Now the Amanpour deal appears to be listing...have we drifted too far from our other lifelines to be saved? I think it's time to re-open the hailing frequencies to all friendly federation craft...

This is starting to remind me of the original Earthquakes. In their last season they had an "investor" that would take them to a "next level". All this "investor's" money was a paper sham and at the end of the season he bolted and left everyone holding the bills. Are we heading off a similar situation before it happens?

19. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is still a great deal of mis-trust with Alexi which can be rationalized only by his initial contact with the Club Quake people at the begining of the season. I think it was justifiable then but why is it that everyone who has had to deal with him personally does not share the mis-trust?

Each time someone takes a jab at Alexi there is some member of SSV speaking out for him, trying to correct the situation. How can you say how great SSV is and all they are doing if you can't trust a man that they trust?

The "bash Alexi" thing just makes no sense...

20. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I know I'm great, and I don't need someone like you to tell me whether I am or not. :D

21. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    It's concerning about so much talk of "other options". Hopefully much will be settle this week.

This is a critical time cause expansion is the perfect cover for relocation. It's cover for the bad publicity. If the SSS talks have any potential I can't imagine AEG/MLS bailing out now on such a large market. But my question is if this is really one market or 2-3 medium sized ones. How AEG/MLS views that will probably decide whether they "have" to be in the market. Soccer is doing so well in LA that I believe the same potential has to be there in Northern California. Attendance lately has been impressive. Good luck. This being dragged out is one of the worst aspects.

22. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of our eggs aren't in one basket. As stated...we are exploring all options available to us. Tony A is the only option that can be made public at this time.

23. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man your great :D

24. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Actually I don't think I've read anything that says he's "converting to a software business". Only that, in his mortgage business, he might have been more interested in leveraging the internet than some of his employees were, and also that he is "retooling" his business, possibly taking it in another direction. That may or may not involve a "software business".

25. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Has Tony A. (or anyone else) tried Comcast? They own the Flyers, the Sixers and a whole assortment of minor league baseball teams. Hopefully, the bad experience with the WUSA hasn't soured them on soccer.

Plus, Comcast Spectacor certainly has the marketing savvy and revenue strategies to make a local team a financial success.

http://www.comcast-spectacor.com/geninfo/bios/default.asp

http://www.comcast-spectacor.com/geninfo/PDFdocs/Comcast-Spectacor Insert.pdf

It is a natural cross-marketer for Comcast, which owns almost all the cable systems in the Bay Area but takes a huge hit from satellite around here, and has just started Comcast Sportsnet West-- which will anchor with Sacramento Kings (live games blacked out in the Bay Area because of Warriors) but will be part of all Bay Area television lineups. And CSN West needs more sports programming/local sports team affiliates to succeed in the Bay Area and Nor Cal in general.

CSN Baltimore/DC is of course the primary local television outlet for DC United.

In general, Comcast has taken a very heavy sports marketing strategy for its cable business. (A big part of its HDTV strategy is local sports in HD whereas satellite doesn't yet have the bandwidth resources for this.)

Seems like a natural match, as long as Comcast doesn't have any prejudices against soccer or MLS as an investment.