News: San Jose Mercury News (Thursday, 4/9/09)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Apr 9, 2009.

1. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boddington ale and Rubios fish tacos or I vote the damn thing down.... :D

2. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. The A's will buy the land at fair market value. That's already been stated by both parties.

http://www.mercurynews.com/alamedacounty/ci_11673052
    They have to have a vote because if they don't the opposition would sue and stop or delay the project. And if the vote is foreced the fact that it was forced would be used against the effort.

My guess is that a succesful suit would be about the indirect cost the city would bear for the stadium - road improvements, police, fire, ....

It's been said repeatedly that no city funds would be used for the stadium.

3. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pessimist!

The opposite is true. The success the City will have with Wolff in building the Quakes stadium, at no cost to the city, will be the shinning example of how to build stadiums in California and will assuage all fears the good people of San Jose may have. Our stadium will pave the way for the San Jose Bees.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Before the Bees, over a century ago there were the San Jose PrunePickers.

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're right, and I definitely don't discount the Quakes stadium as being a possible test case for the city in building an eventual stadium for the San Jose Athletics.

6. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

Wolff has a long and very positive history with the city of San Jose. There is no doubt in my mind that he enjoys a high level of trust within city hall. If you read the comments after the Murk article, it is clear that there are those who will oppose anything that is associated with sports or entertainment. Lew Wolff has been good for San Jose development and I see no apparent reason why that reputation would be tarnished by what he does with the Quakes.

Yes, I do think there will be unhappy Quakes fans, but that is a different issue than how Wolff deals with the city. It can be argued that the city screwed up by purchasing the old FMC site in the first place. If nothing else, Wolff's proposal makes the best of their poor planning. I think it is just dumb luck on the city's part that someone can actually use the land productively.

7. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Ha! I like your optimism. This is California. And we're talking about a development project. The vote could be 1,133,456 to 1 and the one guy would sue!

8. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only gone to quakes games at the coliseum (cause I live in SF and dont like the long train ride), but i'd be there for the Rubios fish tacos- in a hearbeat. Keep me posted.

9. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first and only time I've had them in a stadium was at a Chargers game. You just have to trek to Valley Fair to get Rubios now :(

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think the other 43 came from the savings of the I Star Property deal that through....

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the 40 and 43 are actually the same number. 40 is the rounding of the 43 million that was lopped off the FMC land price.