San Jose Mercury News (Thursday, 12/22/05)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If this is true, than it's more important than ever for the stadium site options not needing a public vote (the Fairgrounds and Santa Clara) to be pursued, especially if the Quakes are to return in 2007. :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

3. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    The way I see it now, Santa Clara is the only option we can see in which difficult political hurdles do not need to be meet..ie: legal issues throw at Santa Clara County by City of San Jose and public voter approval (right, in this economy?).

In true negotiating style, we need to work with all of them simultaneously, however, the only clear area that I see in Santa Clara.

And if we have friends in Santa Clara, then don't pass up that opportunity. Because we won't get another one quite like that.

4. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    Don't miss mark Purdy's take on the situation.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is Santa Clara a better option than SJ?
    Is Santa Clara the BEST option for MLS to return to the Bay Area?

Thanks

6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It didn't take long for Purdy to start to change his tune did it!!!!

7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Because the SC mayor and council are very supportive of the team and SJ (with a couple of exceptions) doesn't care if we have a team or not.

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No public vote needed for a stadium deal, a city council that wants a team in the city, a couple of nice sites for a stadium. (The sites in Santa Clara are about a 10 minute drive up the freeway from downtown San Jose.)

9. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    Santa Clara would seem to be the easier route, in terms of available land, voter approval, etc. However, downtown San Jose offers the opportunity for THE showcase stadium of the USA. A downtown professional sports complex could be the envy of the country.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for all the answers.

Maybe I am wrong here, but as for building the BEST stadium, I would think that just building A stadium would be good enough nowadays.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW
    Anyone know where the potential Santa Clara spots were?
    Thanks

12. marinelayer

marinelayer New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    I don't think anyone should be painting this so black-and-white, with Santa Clara really willing to back the Quakes and San Jose not willing. It's never that easy. Someone will have to come to SC with a legitimate financing plan that doesn't put SC at huge debt risk. That's not going to be easy if the team owners are going to get the lion's share of stadium revenue. Since the youth soccer park is already built, there will have to be something else in the deal that gives the city some sort of community benefit. Increased tax revenue is nice, but that alone won't necessarily pay the bills.

San Jose has time to put together an extremely creative plan that can work for multiple constituencies. And if it's done right, it will be structure very similarly to the Pac Bell Park plan, in which most of the money being raised will be for infrastructure improvements. Personally, I'm glad that voters will have a say in it, because it forces proponents to put together a viable plan instead of sneaking it through a couple of council sessions. When I first started posting here I said that I felt that soccer and baseball can coexist together. I had an inkling that's how a deal might be structured, but I had no idea that they would go directly down that path. Think outside the box, folks.

13. Nadir

Nadir New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Check out this link on the SSV website, which lists the possible sites that have been discussed in the past. What's missing is another site that is on the property of Mission College that is fairly close to the Santa Clara site listed on the webpage and also the downtown site in San Jose that has seen the most discussion recently.

http://www.soccersiliconvalley.com/sites.html

14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corner of Tasman & Centennial, currently an overflow parking lot for the Great America theme park, or the campus of Mission College.

15. Rumbler

Rumbler New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    San Jose
    Man, lets forget San Jose already and let it go. San Jose sucks, they're dragging their feet I would rather go the Santa Clara rout, it just seems like a better deal to me. The big factor is they WANT us there and they have shown it.

16. marinelayer

marinelayer New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    I think the Mission College site is an undeveloped field between the baseball/softball complex and the Mercado shopping center. I'll check to see what size it is. A couple of issues immediately come to mind. Parking will be an issue especially on Friday/Saturday nights, and NIMBY's in the neighborhood just west of the site in Sunnyvale might have something to say about it. I grew up in that neighborhood, and there are already tons of complaints about Mercado (though it is nice to have a movie theater nearby).

17. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, drat that box.

At last Sat's Brit meeting, we heard the history of the recent interactions with the various local municipalities. Finances aside (ie ignoring the box) it's pretty clear that SJ is not currently viable. Which is not to say it wouldn't be the #1 option next year. Whereas Santa Clara has been proactive in its support.

(If they could buy Great America, why not a soccer team?)

18. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Once AEG got out of the equation, man this got interesting.

19. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good article because no disdain for soccer comes through.

20. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here is my letter and response i got back from Purdy. He's trying to make nice. Jerk.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Dear :

Thanks for your note. I really like soccer, believe it or not. Maybe not
    as much as I like other sports, but I really do like it. I like watching the
    World Cup a whole bunch. I like watching Premier League games from Europe. I
    loved watching my daughter's high school soccer team play. I liked it when
    she played Division I college soccer for a season and went to the games. I
    liked watching soccer at the Olympics.

But the MLS? You can have it. Here is a league that couldn't make a team
    work in South FLorida and now has folded up shop in the Bay Area. These
    should be two of America's top five soccer markets, by demographics and
    income levels. But the MLS does not ask itself, "Why can't we make soccer
    work in these two markets? What are we doing wrong?" Instead, the MLS
    says: "Something is wrong with these two markets. They don't deserve us."

That's what I don't like. That's what I really, really, really don't
    like. And I know you are smart enough to see the difference.

Mark Purdy

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 10:07 AM
    To: mpurdy@mercurynews.com
    Subject: Response to your pathetic editorial

just shut up mark purdy...stop pretending to understand the LARGE amount of
    Quake fans or to understand anything about soccer. you are obviously
    threatened by soccer for some ignorant, close-minded reason. go back to
    writing about boring baseball and who cares college basketball. do yourself
    a favor and shut up

21. marinelayer

marinelayer New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    The problem with that sort of thinking is that it ignores the basic crux of how a stadium deal gets done. Just because Santa Clara has voiced support in the past doesn't mean they won't turn tail once they see the price tag. For Santa Clara to make it happen, they'll have to draw up similar or better terms than the letter of intent signed by San Jose. Are they willing to put up $80 million for something that will get used 40 times a year? That's the dilemma they face.

22. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. If an owner gets a slightly less generous deal from Santa Clara, but gets the security of not having to face the voters, he might well take it.

23. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, the public vote is a major hurdle. If the deal is structured like Pac Bell somehow as only "infrastructure improvements", is a vote still necessary? Also, it appears that the major interested parties at this time, SVS&E and Lew Wolfe, are heavily invested in SJ and may not be interested in Santa Clara. San Jose also has the "downtown redevelopment" incentive to push big projects through that Santa Clara doesn't have.

There's also the possibility that some other investors / investor groups might form that are less tied to San Jose, and this is a plus for the Santa Clara option. SSV mentioned that AEG was pretty particular about who they negotiated with but I doubt MLS itself (to the extent that MLS does not equal AEG) would be as picky as long as there's a stadium deal in the works.

I think we need to keep plugging on both fronts (San Jose and Santa Clara).

24. marinelayer

marinelayer New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Say you're right. How much less of a deal is that? $60 million pledged by SC? $50 million? Regardless, it's not chump change. And by doing that, the owner would be paying $20-30 million just to avoid a vote. It's possible, but that "security" is an unknown. The citizens of Santa Clara will get a chance to scrutinize the plan. They may not have a direct say, but they can make the pols squirm if it's not a good deal.

25. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    MLS made a mistake in allowing the Quakes to be moved this year instead of giving the situation one more year (as is happening in KC). Purdy is right about that.

But Purdy is mistaken when he implies that nothing is "wrong" with this market. What has been wrong with this market, which was being corrected when the Quakes were snatched, is that the local governments have been far too lackadaisical and reactive, instead of diligent and proactive, with respect to creative assistance in support of an SSS.

This problem with the market, i.e., local government, was correcting itself but time simply ran out (in terms of the AEG and MLS timeline) for the correction to reach its full course.

So yes, you can criticize the "market" to the extent that term includes the attitudes and actions of local governments, but the local governments now have a clear opportunity to continue the progress that has begun and remove this "market" problem from the local MLS landscape.