San Jose Mercury News (Thursday, 11/6/03)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ThePenguin

ThePenguin New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ok, why do we bother with these type of threads. We all know that the MERCURY NEWS is ANTI-QUAKES!!! Instead of being postive and helping the QUAKES HYPE up this game on SUNDAY, all they have printed in negative bs.

DON'T LET THE DEVILS AT THE MERC BRING US DOWN!!
    WE HAVE TO STAY POSITIVE AND SUPPORTIVE!

GO QUAKES!

3. ThePenguin

ThePenguin New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    I'm sorry I need proofread my work....

What I wanted to say was:
    Ok, why do we bother with these type of threads. We all know that the MERCURY NEWS is ANTI-QUAKES!!! Instead of being postive and helping the QUAKES HYPE up this game on SUNDAY, all they have printed this week is negative bs. THE MERC SUCKS!!!

DON'T LET THE DEVILS AT THE MERC BRING US DOWN!!
    WE HAVE TO STAY POSITIVE AND SUPPORTIVE!

GO QUAKES!

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This was HARDLY an ANTI-QUAKE article. In fact, it was VERY pro-Quake in the sense that they were giving RATIONALIZATIONS for the Quakes FAILING to continue in THE playoffs before the LAST GAME even takes place. She also said lots OF great THINGS about Yallop. My only complaint is THAT SHE said bad things about the Clash.

DON"T LET THE DEVILS MAKE FUN OF THE CLASH!
    THE CLASH ROCKS!

5. ThePenguin

ThePenguin New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Thank you for that feedback. You are right, DON'T LET THE DEVIL MAKE FUN OF THE CLASH!!!

GO CLASH!!
    GO QUAKES!!!

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spejic borrows ThePenguin's capitalization style. DON'T KNOCK THE GUY IN THE CLASH JERSEY!! :)

7. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    I thought it was a very good article and was going to write the editors and say as much. sports@sjmercury.com i believe is the web address.

I was just about to complain about all the coverage the 2-6 nobody goes to their games SJSU football Spartans get, especially on the front page, when I saw the column. Good Stuff.

8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Hey, ThePenguin, I like your attitude. Coming in here as a newbie and rallying the troops with a burst of positive energy. You don't even get ruffled feathers when someone mocks your style. We've got enough grumpy, old, sarcastic negativists around here, so this is a nice change of pace. Keep it up!

9. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Hey, I resemble that remark.

And besides, I enjoyed reading about the sniping between Chuck Bell & Dr. Fitz Hill. SJSU Athletics always makes for good drama, even if it is theatre of the absurd.

And enough Ann Killion bashing, once and for all. This was a very compassionate piece...almost comiserating with the plight of the club.

10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Hey, I resemble it too, at least the "old" part, though so far I find myself mostly defending the players and coaches.
    I actually agree. I liked the article. It was an accurate representation of the Quakes situation, and a rare front page placement for a Quakes article.

But I still like ThePenguin's us-against-the-world attitude and energy, even if it's occasionally misplaced. Knowingly or not, he actually turned the slightly negative vector of spejic's mocking reply right around and dropped it back in his relentlessly positive direction. Go Penguin...go Penguin...

11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Spartacus! She was sympathetic, feeling bad for our guys even.

On the other hand, when our guys were dominating the league, how many columns did she write saying: "Wow! These guys are great! You should go see them play?!"

Yes it's a nice article, but she doesn't bother to write about the Quakes until they stumble. Let's remember that this is the same weasel writer who has bashed the Clash/Quakes many times in the past, wrote lots of nice stuff about the ABL and WUSA, but either ignores our might Quakes, or gives them grief. I wouldn't let her wash my cat with her tongue.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whew!! Now I know Mad Mark is riled.

13. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Wasn't there one earlier this season? How soon we forget...

14. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right on, sir.

and I assume since it was killion it was a front-page story??? either way, it's a little pub that there's a playoff game this weekend.

I thought it was a good, fair read. some people see conspiracy everywhere they look.

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said, my friend.

In the past, I've always been one of Ann Killion's biggest critics (don't forget, I used to cover the team faithfully in that Spartan Stadium press box myself, so I'd consider myself a past colleague), but I think she's got the situation spot on this time around.

What she's written is really quite fair, balanced, and even sympathetic up to and beyond a point.

Deep down, I think she realises that the Quakes are as much a part of the Bay Area sporting landscape as much as the 49ers, Raiders, Sharks, Giants, etc., are. Let's not sell her short.

16. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: San Jose Mercury News (Thursday, 11/6/03)

Spoke to my mother this afternoon, and she said it was only a sports story, and not on the front page of the main paper back home.

But still, fantastic publicity, and it will result in getting people out to the game, which is indeed a major event on the weekend's sporting calendar.

As we used to say back in the olden days, pack the pit! :D

17. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: San Jose Mercury News (Thursday, 11/6/03)

i meant front page of the sports section. the rest of the paper is just there to keep the sports section dry in case it rains. :D