San Jose Mercury News (Thursday, 10/28/04)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too thought it was strange for AEG et al to come out with such deflating statements just before the 2nd leg of the semis. But if you look at this objectively, if the Quakes win this weekend, when else would they have brought it up? If the Quakes go all the way and win the MLS Cup, do you wait until Nov-15 to say, hey wait, Tony didn't come up with the money and so the team's folding/moving/in 1 year purgatory.

In biz, you always tell your subordinates to give you bad news quickly. I think AEG did the right thing. I think there is also a little hint here that if Tony doesn't have the check by this Friday, they'll write him off completely. So would you rather have the bad news Friday the day before the game? Again, I don't think AEG had any good options, and Alexi said what he said cuz AEG has already concluded that Tony's going to flake on Friday.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong, but on my calculator, that's how things add up...

3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Best.Story.Ever. At least in terms of what the Mercury News has chosen to print about the Quakes. Finally - someone out there gets it!!!!

I think this should be required reading for every Galaxy fan (well - maybe they should have someone read it to them) :D

4. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good article, hopefully our "rinky dink" team won't be affected by this and will prove AEG wrong, and making them regret their decisions.

Go Quakes!

6. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    Well written Ann Killion. Finally a sadly realistic picture of what is happening to soccer in the Bay Area.

Like many of us US soccer fans, Tony Amanpour is another die-hard fan who wants to see soccer grow to its pinnacle just like the rest of the world. Tony is also a businessman. A salesman businessman. He is the one who has seen the vision and has the clout to do it. However, as he stated in an article in yesterdays Mercury News "I never said I would pay for this out of my pocket". He indicated that he is trying to recruit roughly 25 Bay Area CEO s to help fund the project of keeping the Earthquakes in the Bay Area. He has indicated it is just like funding for a start-up. Although he has a passion for soccer, there may be other things in play, such as ego, that is driving him. I would love to be Chairman of the Board of the latest Bay Area "start-up" Earthquakes.

Nevertheless, that is all we got in the endless MLS world of what seems like careless statements & disregard of the birthplace of the first home game of MLS soccer...San Jose.

(SJMN)The news this week is just one more chapter in the ongoing story of ``The Team MLS Loves to Hate.'' Starting from the first week of the debut season, 1996, when then-MLS chairman Alan Rothenberg called San Jose a ``rinky-dink town up north'' the local club hasn't gotten any respect. (SJMN)

I don't have a lot of answers, (except for the sad state of everyone pitching in $1000) but perhaps the Oakland A's owner can see about rescuing our team and building a soccer/baseball stadium in the south bay. That is my only answer I can provide, because I seem to have run out of them in my early morning 6:30am depressed thoughts of the Quakes finally being snuffed out.

I can say 2 things. The last games with the Quakes will be celebrated because they may be the last one(s) AND I will make sure I call Douglas Quinn EVP of Fan Development (212)450-1200 (Mark Noonan is gone) and voice my opinion about the lack of support we have here in our rinky dink town of San Jose.

7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Echo that sentiment. She definitely gets it. I hope the powers that be in MLS/AEG read this article.

8. crewzer1308

crewzer1308 New Member

May 11, 2004
    Ohio
    I STILL BELIEVE IN THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking as an investor, the only way I would put money into a "startup" is to see a nice return on investment. The only way to get a return on my investment is to get revenue form a SSS. So, the key here is a SSS. Has been all along...

So, in summary, where are we at for a SSS?

San Jose: They want baseball. Mayor has shown little to no support. The people at Spartan Stadium don't seem to care that they are killing off a revenue source. Fair Grounds was an option, but with the plan for a new concert arena, it appears dead. Conclusion: DEAD.

Santa Clara: Some interest, but won't pay any money. Has land, but is tied to current Paramount lease and will be difficult/impossible to obtain. Won't happen anytime soon. Conclusion: LIFE SUPPORT.

San Francisco: Late in the game. No land. Some "pie in the sky" idea that "soccer crazy" immigrants will just show up to Quakes games. Sound familiar? Conclusion: NOT EVEN BORN.

Other: Fremont, Stanford, Berkeley. Not happening. Conclusion: NOT EVEN BORN.

Unless we are farther along than my limited vision into SSS in the Bay Area, we will not be getting investors for the long term. Frankly, with the above scenarios, anyone would be crazy to put money in for the short term. With Tony not willing to put a chunk of his money into the investment, why should the other "CEOs"?

Sorry, may be I'm been scared by seeing the NASL fold and being at startup for four years which folded, but I have learned my lessons in putting my heart too much into something only to get it ripped out.

If SSV is smart (which from all accounts they are), the focus has been on getting the SSS lined up in the next year or two. The investors will follow...

10. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I support both teams, with an edge to the Galaxy.

I think Galaxy fans would pick apart some of the column's assertions. They would be objective or opposing readers of this advocacy column.

The most glaring: "The team MLS loves to hate."

That didn't strike you as odd, or make you say "hey, that's a different team!?"
    The writer probably meant the league, not the entire collection of teams, fans, players, and sponsors. In that case, do you really think the league "loves to hate" the franchise that is its presence in the country's #6 market?

In short, the column makes a few assertions that are definitely arguable as it supports the Earthquakes and their fans in their struggle.

I think mjlee22 has pointed out the difference between sporting heart and reality mind, which pulls back a little on the judgment against AEG in the column.

Few fans or insiders disagree with the notion that stadium control is the key to the league's future. It's so important that new owners/investors/locations are being selected with the stadium issue being one of the key factors. I think Earthquakes fans can at least understand MLS/AEG's strategy on that issue. If a stadium doesn't happen here, they probably think it's better to pull the plug now and start over than let the team languish as a dependent tenant.

11. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a column writer, Ann Killion has the platform to write advocacy pieces that news reporters like Dylan Hernandez can't. And as the only columnist who seems to follow and understand soccer, her position might be unique. Kudos to her for addressing the Quakes at this time.

She doesn't disappoint, demonstrating a pretty good understanding of the situation, certainly as seen from the eyes of the fans and players. What can we do to help keep the Quakes, was the question posed to Alexi at the beginning of the season. Buy tickets, was the answer. Well, we've grown attendance once again, building what must be largest percentage gain in the league. But now the goalposts have moved, and it's about a stadium. I can understand that, but I also understand the frustration voiced by Killion: Is anything good enough?

12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is were my problem. I support AEG to the extent that promoting US Soccer and being a successful business operation run hand-in-hand. Until recently, I would agree this was the case. However, in the last year or so, the business side seems to have taken more of a lead.

For instance, AEG (I.e. league) had added Chivas US. This fan base has a history of showing no support to US Soccer. Any players developed through there system will be as likely to play for Mexico than the US. AEG tried to sell the Quakes to Club America. Do think this will be any different than Chivas? AEG has done well with Colorado and Utah, but at the expense of the 6th largest market in the US. Does anyone think San Antonio and Utah will add signficantly to the league and US Soccer?

Sure it's a grey area, but until I see AEG start helping US Soccer more than promoting it's business, I will have hard time supporting them. Yes, I'm thankful for their initial investment and guidence in starting the league, but that thanks only goes so far.

13. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    has AEG ever said it is out to improve US soccer?

they kept the league afloat...and we now of the recent success is in large part due to MLS....but is is more an effect of tehir involvemnt with the MLS than a stated goal....

all I see them doing is watching their dollar shrink thanks to MLS and are re-evaluating their investment...keep in mind they sold CO and are now trying to unload DCU...

ask Malcolm Glazer if he is trying to buy ManUre to help English soccer grow...or Roman Abramovich for that matter...

AEG is club-centric....

14. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another good column by Killion. I've always been impressed by how she is able to do something few other columnists at big papers can -- treat soccer seriously.
    I agree with what she wrote -- i'm tired of being jerked around, and I'm sure the players are too.

and to lddoppleganger -- even if AEG never actually said those exact words 'we're out to improve u.s. soccer' its actions say they were. you know the saying, if it barks like a dog and looks like a dog, it's probably the l.a. galaxy (I mean, it's probably a dog). AEG has lost a lot of money owning half the league ... why else would they have done that if they didn't want to help the sport in this country? they've always said they want to get rid of some of their teams -- which is good sense. The league will be stronger when there are more people invested in it, plus it cuts down their risk. I can't blame them for what they're doing -- just how they're doing it.

15. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Yup.

16. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    These past few weeks have seen the Earthqaukes in the Merc more times (almost daily) than I can EVER remember!

Too bad so much of the info is negative.

BTW, e-mail akillion@mercurynews.com and let her know what you think of her articles.

I think she's great.

17. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    okay...another bigsoccer cyclical debate...

while the success of the USMNT may be consequence of their actions within MLS, their main focus is the MLS...if that means selling a team to someone who does not care to help US soccer grow than so be it...

their bottom line is the success of their investment in MLS....if US soccer benefits or is harmed, well, then so be it...

helping the sport in this country does not lead directly to the USNTs...it leads to butts in the seats of MLS matches, to merchandising, TV contracts....so many other pieces...

it must have seemed inevitable that Uncle Phil would cut funding...10 years is a long time to bleed cash....

but I get what you are saying....LA sucks...:D

18. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps cuz there's no Sharks action? Seems with all those sports pages to fill, they've discovered another game in town.

19. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, let me clarify. When I'm referring to US Soccer, I'm not referring to only the USMNT. I'm referring to youth, professional, and country. An end result of a professional league is to help provide direction and support to both youth and country. Everyone suffers without a pro league (see Canada). Also, the league was founded off of World Cup 1994. There was a direct correlation to the improvement of US Soccer by having the MLS.

Yes, it's understood that Uncle Phil would cut funding, but as others have mentioned, the process has been poorly managed and communicated to its customers - us. Plus, I bet that Uncle Phil hadn't expected to take the big hit with the slumping economy. If he wasn't in for longer than ten years, then he was somewhat short sided.

20. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    point clarified....

but let me reiterate on thing....LA sucks....

21. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it! ;)

22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Suppose the Merc would buy the Quakes? Who owns them?

23. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    You're right about the importance of the SSS in the investor process. I'd argue that S Clara is a little further along than you suggest - especially if the elections go favorably on Tuesday. The Paramount obstacles you note probably aren't as severe as you suggest. They are a challenge but certainly something that can be done. SF also is further along than you suggest. They have land available that needs development and have indicated a soccer stadium would be just fine in those areas.

Also: for those who want to help build an SSS stadium, SSV requested help for K. Moore this weekend but so far not one person has responded. If you want to do your part, this is a clear avenue for you to help.

24. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ding, ding, ding.... we have a winner!

if it was arena football season, no way the quakes appear daily in the merc.

25. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    I'm gonna' be there Sunday.....was I the ONLY one to respond????