San Jose Mercury News (Sunday, 9/6/09)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by NedZ, Sep 6, 2009.

1. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I took a look at the MLS standings in the Merc sports section this AM, and I see that according to the table printed there that the Quakes have dropped to last place in the EASTERN division, behind the Red Bulls...

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(

3. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, the table shows the Western Conference as having 7 teams (Houston,LA, Colorado, Seattle, RSL, CUSA, Dallas) and the East with 8 teams. 7th in the East is NY with 16 points, and 8th is SJEQ with 20 points.

4. Corralitos Sam

Corralitos Sam New Member

Jul 3, 2008

Same thing happened last weekend, but it was corrected the next day.

Perhaps someone with a GOOD relationship with the Merc would write to them and request that the error be corrected. Too bad that there isn't anyone on the Quakes' Big Soccer boards who still has a subscription to the paper, and is polite enough to make the request.

Unfortunately, it seems that all people here do is criticize the paper.

5. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Would this happen to any other "major" sports team in the Bay Area? I say no.

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, it's our fault on BigSoccer that the Mercury News cannot print the MLS standings correctly -- and makes the same mistake repeatedly.

7. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not too many years ago any major paper (even the Mercury) would have been embarrassed by such a mistake happening once, much less (as you say) twice in two weeks. That is worthy of criticism, and a mark of the decline of the business. In this case, it is amplified because whoever is editing the copy doesn't know the hometown team and what is happening with it enough to know that a mistake happened. They buy the content from elsewhere but don't depend on their own staff to check it; or, their own staff made the typo that transposed the location. The Mercury-News SHOULD be the "newspaper of record" for their own local professional team to which others will go for authoritative information. This was just a humorous example that symbolizes the larger problem in this case.

8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    the San Jose Mercury News fail the San Jose/Bay Area soccer community daily...

...I would even go so far as to say that they do our community a dis-service with their meager, shoddy, innacurate reporting and their clear disdain for, and ignorance of, the worlds game.

They could be a great champion of the local team, and forge a natural, supportive relationship with us, like they did apparently in the NASL days...

...but instead they ignore the home side and are, in fact, a detriment to our growth.

In a word, they suck.

9. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The EQ did contact the Merc yesterday about this error and pointed out that the "Look Ahead" section (that appears in today's - Sunday- print version of the paper) was ALSO wrong. It shows that the EQ play a friendly vs Copa Alianza all-stars at PAL Stadium at 8 PM "Today".

10. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    simply, pathetic

11. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We should have a kegger in their parking lot the day that paper goes under.

12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was pathetic that it happened more than once in a month's period...

I noticed it, but I didn't care. Sorry, I have more important things to worry about...

13. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a bonfire at night, fueled by...take a guess.

14. futurequakekeeper

Feb 14, 2008
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    merc news paperss!!!!!!!!!!

15. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Close, but no cigar! The correct answer is: Mark Purdy and all the stench-filled, flammable effluvia he is made of.

16. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, the whole area would smell like Milpitas, but we could sacrifice a day for the event.

17. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    So, what does Milpitas smell like?

18. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team: