San Jose Mercury News (Saturday, 11/1/03)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Bud Geracie mentioned the Quakes a couple of times in his "In the Wake of the Week" column. Of course, he only deems them noteworthy as they relate to sports he follows, football and basketball, but still they are generally favorable observations...

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/7157599.htm

The relevant quotes:

"The Quakes drew a bigger crowd for their last home game than the Warriors drew for their first."

"Quakes superstar Landon Donovan kicked a 60-yard field goal, but he didn't have Bill LaFleur holding for him."

3. RWCQuakesfan

RWCQuakesfan New Member

Jun 23, 2001
    Knowing his background of hatred for the Quakes, I read both of those as negative statements, not positives. Call me a cynic, but this was how I read them:

"The Warriors are so sorry that can't even draw as well as a second-rate team in a joke league playing a stupid sport."

"Donovan isn't as good as the press is making him out to be. If Donovan had LaFleur holding for him he wouldn't be any better than what we've got now."

Doug.

4. masoo

masoo Member

May 31, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Most truthful statements in that piece:

"The 'preseason,' as Frank Yallop sarcastically calls Major League Soccer's regular season, is over.... 'Those 30 games meant nothing,' Yallop, shaking his head, said of the regular season."

When 80% of the teams in a league make the playoffs, that season really is pre and meaningless. Thank god the real season has finally arrived.

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are right. The playoff system that MLS has makes the regular season a joke, a meaningless joke. I'm sure they'll try something else next year. :rolleyes:

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're reading way too much into it. the first one was a compliment and the second was a dig at LaFleur. LaFleur botched the hold on an extra point. if he had got the ball down, the niners would have won most likely.

the world isn't always out to get soccer, you know.

7. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're paranoid!