San Jose - Los Angeles (Wednesday, 8/7) US Open Cup Quarterfinal [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 4, 2002.

1. SocrStopr13

SocrStopr13 Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Damn, 3 years in a row. That's rough. Well you can always look forward to maybe not having to play us in the open cup next year.

2. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well considering they won't be in San Jose next year, that statement is almost a certainty.

Oh yeah, your boy landon sure knows how to take over a game.

Oh yeah, you notice it was that talentless hack conrad who got rainbowed for the goal? (the rainbow being rather ironic...)

Oh yeah, your great offense, all the stacked forwards, the future world savior (landon) and you still can't hit open nets. Maybe donovan should get a grip and lave let lagos take that shot?

Oh yeah, you're unbeaten streak is no more.

Oh yeah, good game.

3. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're a sad, lonely individual, aren't you?

Perhaps you should see a minister at your favorite house of worship, unless it's one of those Satan-worship places.

4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ok....

Dear god, i'm a sad lonely individual because I trolled on a message board on big soccer, when all the fans who saw it fit to invade my teams board talked smack about how the galaxy suck, and how the cyberays would win big, and then they lost, got shutout, ended a 15 game unbeaten streak at home. Please forgive me.

Give me a break.

5. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was PrettyBoy Landon even on the pitch tonight?

6. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, how about those Wizards? Man, sucks to be them right now.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Of course he was... didn't you see all those young pretty girls in the stands? ;)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

8. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Just had to post...

This sucks

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp :(

-G

10. jose8lo

jose8lo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 9, 2002
    washington
    no reason to get too down on this lost,we're still on top where it counts in the M.L.S. standings.go quakes

11. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    We can't win the double..
    We've been knocked out by LA 3 times in a row..
    We lost to LA..
    We lost..
    We lost to LA..
    Ruiz scored..
    We lost at home..
    Our 15 game winning streak is over...

You wouldn't know because you are from Washington..

:(:(

This sucks

12. Quake87

Quake87 New Member

May 19, 2001
    San Jose
    we got our asses kicked. at least were not KC. :)
    Ruiz won't be in MLS for long.

13. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Goodsie made the telly again... :)

Really from what I heard, a very tightly contested game. The only and costly lapse being the free kick to Ruiz, who was able to elude the defenders and aiming the ball past a stumbling Conway.

The only thing I'm going to say out of this is that the better team LA won tonight fairly and taking advantage of those gaffes. However, September 14 and 21, and maybe October 21, will be the ones that matter.

(I know the LA usuals are lurking on this so here goes: no sour grapes.)
    So LA fans, you won fair tonight. Ruiz did what he did and scored the goal on the breakaway. Go ahead and gloat all over us--congratulations you were the better team. However, when the games count in the league on September 14 and 21, watch out!

I won't say the adage that had Cannon won he would have stopped it, but from what was shown on FSW, Conway did very well and no matter who was at net, it would have gone in.

Like I said, we'll get LA later on, where it really counts.

Now, it's DC United and the ESPN World Tour on August 17!

Cheers!

14. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    We can't get the treble either (Supporters' Shield).

Sean

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp How does an overtime loss after a 0-0 regulation constitute getting "our asses kicked"? :confused:

-G

16. jose8lo

jose8lo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 9, 2002
    washington
    IBT, hey don't get me wrong I'm f*****g mad just as you are and believe me I'm from the bay area and moved to the pacific northwest cause my wife is from here,so being a former season ticket holder from the clash days I've have never stop following this team and I know of every little streak and the home winning streak over now but the quakes will rebound and will beat L.A. in the playoff again this year and go on to repeat. keep the faith dude!

17. Quake87

Quake87 New Member

May 19, 2001
    San Jose
    poor execution from every1. LA had the better oppertunities.

18. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Game (from an LA fan).

Ladies and gentlemen of San Jose, as a founding member of the Los Angeles Riot Squad, I just wanted to congratulate you on a well fought and well matched game for the Open Cup.

Once again, it proves that our two teams are probably the most evenly matched in the MLS. Even the 2001 MLS cup (a very even game) went to an overtime golden goal.

Just goes to show: on any given day...

Tommy Mack
    www.lariotsquad.net

PS: But that WAS an awesome move by Ruiz...

19. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Merged with postgame thread. Thanks for the nice comments, dude.

20. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    There's this thing called the internet now.

I hear they have it on computers.

21. Quake87

Quake87 New Member

May 19, 2001
    San Jose
    Re: Good Game (from an LA fan).

u should have seen it live.

22. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Re: Re: Good Game (from an LA fan).

Yep. I was starting to leave as he collected the ball. (Well, not really, but in retrospect it felt like it because I knew we were dead meat.) Great move, not Conway's fault at all. Just one of those "no chance" situations. I hate him because he's LA :D, but Ruiz is money.

23. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thoughts after the game....

Agoos needs to retire after the season's end. He may be a wily and experienced veteren, but it's just not enough anymore. He's lost too many steps. This should be his last season.

Jimmy Conrad hasn't had a good game since he got married. For Russell too play well he's got to have a good partner. With the Conrad-Russell combo tonight, we lost two players due to the lackluster performance by Conrad. It also looked like Russell was playing to conserve energy in the first half. Why bother? Have him run the tank dry and just sub him out earlier.

Donovan's mind MUST be on other things.

Conway was so-so at best.

I have never before seen a game where Mulrooney had more giveaways than takeaways..... this was it.

I'm going to watch the tape before I say this with certainty, but from the end-zone view it seemed like the Galaxy players do a lot of undercutting of players that have left their feet to head the ball?

Kevin Terry, as always, never managed to run all game. Wonder if he enjoys his leisurely walks that are supposed to pass for referreeing a professional soccer match? I swear if there were flowers on the pitch, he'd stop to smell them.

-KMJvet

24. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: San Jose - Los Angeles (Wednesday, 8/7) US Open Cup Quarterfinal [R]

This might not count as a treble, but regular season (Supporter's Shield), MLS Cup, and Western Conference Crown can be interpreted as such.

25. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, must admit that Ruiz's goal was world class.

The better team won tonight. Rokstedy can wave his money shot poster at us, while Topper and Dan can yack at glee that their team has won. Simply stated, and all the smack/trash talk aside, congratulations--it was equally matched.

Two games to decide who is better, maybe a MLS Cup series.

I'm thinking he's on his last run--he has no more to prove having won every title here and participating in a World Cup Final. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the Jeff Agoos Farawell Tour.

This was the A-Team, or close to it and they couldn't seal the deal. I don't know what's going on with Conrad--I'm hoping it isn't something outside of the pitch.

As for Landon, the cost of being a celebrity. Too much appearances, too much play, too little rest.

Russell was subbed out by DeRo.

I won't get into the what if debate with Jon and Joe--it's deja vu all over again. I can think that "had Joe won the result would have been different" could carry some weight, but on a breakaway, unless he's at the right place at the right time, the shot would have been hard to stop. Conway played well with what he faced in regulation--it's the set play off the free kick that caught everyone off guard. If I recall, the Quakes have had problems with that, be a free kick or a corner or what have you.

My take.