San Jose - Los Angeles (Wednesday, 8/7) US Open Cup Quarterfinal [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    It never will be, because the US is the only nation boring enough to watch baseball. [sarchastic face] [/sarchastic face]

[Flame protectant shield]

Sean

2. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    San Jose - Los Angeles (Wednesday, 8/7) US Open Cup Quarterfinal pregame thread

It's the eve of the game and I'm very excited about this one!! Gotta take down the Galaxatives. I do have some mixed feelings about lineups, though, after watching so many of our guys get banged up in Seattle. Still it's f***in' L.A!

SuperJoe is sharp from his All-Star outing so I would use this chance to get some work from Jon Conway in net. I might be inclined to start some subs but work in the regulars off of that bench earlier than I would normally sub. Don't know if Roner/Bower are back from Portland. If not...

Starting XI:

Conway

Corrales, Conrad, Agoos, Barrett

Luchi, Ekelund, Donovan, Lagos

DeRosario, Graziani

Subs: Barclay for Luchi; Leighton O'Brien for Lagos with Corrales moving to Lagos' spot at mid and O'Brien at right back. Mulrooney for DeRosario...LD moves up front and Richard rounds out the midfield.

I'm thinking 3-2, Quakes. Goals by Donovan, Ekelund and Graziani. For L.A, I'd rather they got NOTHING AND LIKED IT!!!!! but my bones tell me they'll get a couple. Just so long as they get none from "A-Holito" Ruiz.

FLOP, LITTLE FISHY, FLOP!!!!

GO QUAKES!!!

3. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Is O'Brien with us? He was in Seattle for their Inaugural at Memorial Stadium...

Sean

4. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was returned to the Sounders.

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose - Los Angeles (Wednesday, 8/7) US Open Cup Quarterfinal pregame thread

The Defense worked pretty well on him last time to shut him down. Let's hope they can do it again. If Ruiz is out, LA is stopped because they seem to be relying on him so much. What would you think of switching Donovan and Dwayne, with Dwayne as the AM?

6. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better to have DDR has a withdrawn forward--thinking of the position that McBride had in Columbus when he set up Stern John and Jeff Cunningham--not a pure striker but merely as someone who could pass to Graziani or Donovan or carry the ball himself.

-----
    Looks like the Money Shot poster will be left at home--it wasn't Topper, some young guy who goes by the name of rokstedy and if I saw it correctly, a member of the Riot Squad.

Of course, a few people were ready to go after him and understandably so, but if this was Europe, who knows?

Be interesting to know who will show up from the Southern side of this state.

Cheers!

7. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SJ will keep the win streak alive. The bench players are probably itching to go and prove something. They will also be better prepared and focused for the match. We'll see veterans come in as substitutions.

Dayak and Bower are the only players listed on the injured reserve.

8. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After realizing that we have 10 days between Wedensday and the next game, I change my position. FY will play the guys who could play the full 90, with substitutions by guys coming back from injury. The A-Team goes out there, with possibly one of the bench players.

9. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Boy, try to find some in-depth coverage of this match anywhere. I just checked CSN, ussoccer, and MLSnet, and could only find blurbs at best.

I agree with Defender. Use the best players, there's plenty of time off after this. Perhaps Conway instead of Cannon because the "other tournaments" simply seem to be Conway's domain. And athletes love a chance to redeem themselves.

3-1 Quakes

10. Lab Mouse

Lab Mouse New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    Meanie: the US Open Cup may as well be the championship of American cricket for all the coverage it gets. :mad:

Oh well. I agree that the time off factor will allow Yallop to use the best for the full 90, but also the fact that it is LA, after all, and a rivalry's a rivalry.

Go Quakes, Go Crew, Go Rampage.

11. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    :D!

Seeing those two together really cracks me up. In C-bus last year, EVERY Crew fan I met was class. But online, it seems almost every other Crew fan still holds a grudge for last year's playoffs.

Beat LA!

One more quick thing: Title of this thread updated from "Pregame" to just being the thread about this match. I added the [R] in advance. Put in-game and post-game comments in this thread. Thanks!

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Today's the day! :D

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

13. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

It's all about the line-ups....i hope, with the weekend off that Frankie comes with both barrels blazing!!! :D

14. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminder: Eddie Robinson is suspended tonight because of a red card in Seattle.

16. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    However, Goose, who we did not have in Seattle, will be playing, correct? Please tell me I'm correct. :)

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct as far as I know, BM!:)

18. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Jose - Los Angeles (Wednesday, 8/7) US Open Cup Quarterfinal pregame thread

I would love to see the Quakes give this a try, what better place for a player that runs constantly than midfield? And please please PLEASE Frank put Corrales in back and NOT Ibsen!

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp [​IMG]

20. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I've often said DeRo's efforts are often wasted up front.

21. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost time to leave work, buy beer and head to Sparten! :D

22. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    is anyone meeting before and after the game?

23. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm headed out now and will be at the ussual Club Quake area, I'm sure there will be a few more. Stop by, I can't drink the whole six pack I will be buying, I have to drive home :(

24. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Bad planning. :(

25. tara91387

tara91387 New Member

Jul 14, 2002
    Cape Cod, MA
    Awww the san jose earthquakes lost the quarterfinals. This stinks now they aren't undefeated at home nemore