San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by babytiger2001, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmosso

cmosso New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    San Jose
    UREEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!

What a comeback! Great crowd. The most fun I've had at a Quakes game. Over 14,000+ in attendance!

I've gotta make the drive to Carson if they beat KC.

2. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6th minute of overtime Cowboy sends us to the Cup.

6th minute of overtime DeRo wins us the Cup.

6th minute of overtime Faria sends us through to the next round.

6...6...6. That's fishin' scary!

3. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a minute Cowboy's was in the 4th minute. Thank goodness!

4. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    incredible!!

unbelievable....

i pulled my yelling muscle....

faith in the boys saw them through...they never gave up !! LA proved just how much they suck by losing like they did....Fat Sigi thinking about his celebratory donut after Vagenas' goal...

cannot wait for next Saturday...

hope the Fallacy and all of their "fans" have a miserable winter...

Go Quakes!!!!!!!!!

5. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Kansas City pre-game thread

Ok ... you know the chant for Igor Simutenkov, do you?

"Moo-DUCK!!"
    :)

6. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe this crap I am seeing on KNTV....I'm sitting here waiting for the highlights....The sports start, they go through the football scores, and now we have an interview with Mayor Willie Brown? What the hell? Our local News station can't even give their local team some props for what we saw tonight?

Will this ever change??????

7. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see KGO 7 gave the Quakes their props... the local stations down here in the Monterey area could care less, though. :(

8. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Well, Willie Brown won't be the Mayor for much longer, that's for sure. :)

9. europa1057

europa1057 New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    California
    We usually sit in section N2 next to the Casbah. Today we sat in section 130, right in the middle of the field. All through the game I heard the Casbah and the Ultras - but those guys in the yellow were pretty quiet. What an atmosphere..

In the (slightly modified) words of Mel Brooks, "It's good to be the Quakes"

10. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Enjoy it while you can. This game will go down as something to be shared between soccer fans - sort of an inside joke that only we understand.

While Willie and Ronnie prattle on about nothing relevant to sports this week, we know what we saw, and nothing can take that away.

There are some things that are enjoyed by a few, and then popularity comes and lots of other people jump on board. And then the old-timers sit around talking about the "good old days" when a few thousand people saw history made and no one outside their universe bothered to care. It just doesn't matter. Someday, when soccer is mentioned in the same breath as the NHL and possibly the NBA (it will not reach the status of MLB or NFL in our lifetime), we will see our highlight reels and remark how we used to only be able to share these moments with a few others, like a private club, without the glare of the media, and we'll remember how much "cooler" it all seemed then. So yes, enjoy this time while it lasts :mad:)

11. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Q

The Quakes and their fans could've given up. With the threat of rain, people could've stayed away.

I asked several people to come to drive down to San Jose and see the game with me. The same excuse everytime.... it might rain. And the Quakes are already out.

Well, after Newcastle got pasted this morning, I thought two hearbreaks in one day would be too much to bear.

And then the Quakes went down 4 on aggregate... Why wasn't Dunivant out there? Dayak, Dayak, Dayak?

Oh, I am so happy!

Mullan was absolutely incredible! Walker.

And then just after the game ended. A light sprinkle. Yeah, it rained all right.

12. Data ferret

Data ferret Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Q

As a friend said on the way out, "The Quakes win, and down come the Galaxy tears."

13. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be my vote for the best ever MLS playoff game edging out the Fire v. Metros third game in the 2000 playoffs.

14. drewb

drewb Member

Jul 11, 2001
    S'vale
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the pleasure of sitting next to Goodsport tonight just behind the LA bench. Though he worried like an old lady every time LA possessed ;-) he sure did get loud and heckled LA endlessly.

At one point after our first goal, Suarez looks up at us from the bench and signs four fingers and points to himself, then one finger and points to us. I wasn't sure if he was indicating the aggregate score or our respective standings in the western bracket :)

It was the best game I can remember.

The boys never let down, and showed how tough they are. They left everything they had out on the field.

Besides the great play and the outcome, the atmosphere was fantastic. Not only did the players give all they had on the field, but the fans gave all they had from their seats.

I was happy with the balanced officiating, not to say that there weren't bad calls, but they did seem to balance out. The ref would have nothing to do with Ruiz or Moreno once they started to flop. He was also very judicious with the clock.

15. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    For those following the subject, the guy with the "We are Scott you are Lacy" sign was none other than Dan Loney of BigSoccer. I was watching him from 134 at the beginning of the game. A fan did waste a good beer on his shirt and then an Ultra' spit on him for his tasteless sign. HE was parading around during the game but post-game he was introduced to the lovely mud of the Spartan parking lot. He got what he deserved, lets keep it at that.

P.S - The Western Conf Regular Season Champs trophy is pretty nice. JM let me hold it post-game. Awesome.

16. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    :D oh, the jokes that ensue................

17. mad4soccer

mad4soccer New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Santa Cruz County
    Five unanswered

WOW, what a game. Got home from screaming myself hoarse at the game (I screamed so hard I literally got sick to my stomach) and I'm watching the taped game on TV. Just amazing. Finally, the Quakes of old are back! Where have they been all these weeks?

I've always said the Quakes are best as the underdogs and this proves it. Two goals down wasn't enough of a hole: gotta go down four, lull the Gals into a false sense of security, and then win it. Really rub it in.

At halftime on the TV one of the commentators just mentioned that the Gals haven't given up more than 2 goals in some 33 games going back to last season. Ha! Scratch that stat off! And what a way and time to do it. Wow. Unbelievable. Pinch me, I must be dreaming!

-- Marc

18. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching the tape now.

Please, please, please everyone who's reading this, PLEASE WEAR BLUE NEXT WEEK! It looks so amazing. Not only in person, but it looks great on tape too.

So wear blue, tell everyone you know to wear blue!

19. TitotheQuake

TitotheQuake New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    1. This is the best soccer game I have ever seen.

2. Watching the game on TV here in L.A., in the 87th minute, the announcers breathlessly said: "three minutes until a monumental Los Angeles victory." (en espanol of course...)

3. Questions and comments from a Quakes fan watching on TV, (In no particular order):

a. Can anyone tell me why Tyrone Marshall didn't get ejected after pushing Landon Donovan down after the second Quakes goal. From the TV replay, Landon either embellished his fall or was running so fast when pushed he hit his head hard on the ground. I have to go with the latter - why would he fake a fall during a celebration?

b. I have to say, Jeff Agoos hamering the ball into Arturo Moreno looked extremely classless on TV. As a Quakes fan, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that he was trying to clear the ball.

c. Watching the replay on TV, either Faria sweats from his eyes or he cried after he scored the golden goal.

d. Watching Cobi Jones tonight, I have to say it was pretty sad. He was just plain awful. Not comparing him to Willie Mays but I'm assuming it was like seeing Mays in the '73 series, falling in the outfield.

e. Roner coming in for Waibel = Greatest substituion ever!

f. The ref was excellent. There were many times when the game could have gotten completely out of hand and I thought he did superbly. (Except for not giving LA a corner kick at the end of regulation. TV cut to the LA bench and they were, correctly, livid.)

g. I nearly threw up during Ruiz's ridiculous goal celebration. Anyone else?

h. I'd like to thank Manny Lagos for relearning how to play the game of soccer over the past week. The man was transformed and left it all on the field.

i. Despite the goals, kudos to the goalies as well. Hartman's save on Walker in the first minute was world class and I don't know how Onstad stopped the Galaxy twice on the line in the second half.

j. Also, what was Ruiz thinking on the breakaway when he decided to slow and give the ball away? That could have REALLY finished the Quakes off.

k. With under five minutes to go, and the Quakes still needing another goal, a cross sailed a good six inches over a wide open Faria. That was the only time I ever really thought the Quakes might not pull this game out. I kept up hope after LA went up 2-0 because the pitch was so wet and the Quakes' attack seemed to be relentless.

There are a million other things that went through my head during the game but I can't remember them at the moment. Go Quakes!

20. TitotheQuake

TitotheQuake New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Didn't realize my post was that long! I guess I'm still in shock...

21. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OMG! I need to go back to the tape again. I'm never gonna sleep. I thought for certain Tyrone pushed him. But I kinda saw it out of the corner of my eye.

Faria was crying. Most defintely.

Yes!

And yes...disgusting!

22. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon was running to celebrate his goal. Tyrone place himself right in front of Landon and just puffed out his chest like some animal trying to look bigger than he is...knocked Landon right over. Should have been sent off.

The announcer says, "Donovan also flopped as he ran into Tyrone Marshall."

Landon's reaction about sums it up, "What the f*** was that?"

23. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Incredibly Jamil Walker becomes the fourth Earthquake this year to score in his first professional start!

Not only that, but each one scored near where they were born or went to college (Dunivant Denver, Alvarez Texas, Roner SF, Walker SCU).

Ching also scored in his first Quake start, but one lousy start for LA in 2001 prevents him from joining the club.

So, start Levesque against KC? :D

24. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wish all of our away Quakes fans could have been at this game, everyone from No. Carolina, Texas, The Land of Oz, Iraq, SoCal, etc. I still cannot believe what happened, it's going to take some time to sink in. About the same time that it's going to take my throat to return to normal. Everybody be there next Saturday (hell, you can fly in on Qantas). :)

25. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't rub it in with Dan (or some of the other LA fans) since I see him offline whenever these teams play and it's usually in the spirit of fun. As for you with the Ultras, that would have been a Kodak moment with that description.

I hope that if they redesign the Rothenburg Cup again it looks like a real trophy (Stanley Cup where you can drink from that) and not a doorstoop, which is another knock I have with the Rimet trophy (please retire that if Brazil wins in 2006 and have a cup for chrissakes...)

I'm stating this because a lot of us had a sip of brew from the Western Conference Trophy at the Brit. I want to see the championship teams take a sip from a trophy much akin to what the NHL does with Lord Stanley. Kudos to the Boss JM for letting the Casbah hold the trophy at the onset of the game.

One more, make that two more, and we can really party! Cheers!