San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sun., 11/9) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) pregame thread

Of course, our Kiwi friends will claim that it's not much of a rivalry if the Socceroos never win any of the matches that matter. :(

Kinda like the USA and Mexico, I guess...

As far as the game on Sunday's concerned, two-nil isn't that steep of a mountain to climb.

Back when I was a working journo back there, Dave Dir once said to me in an interview (and others have used it to the point where it's one of the biggest cliches in the sport) that 2-0 is the most dangerous leads to have to protect. One touch in front of goal, and you're right back in it.

Just remember, it's only halftime, folks. As long as they commit enough numbers to the attack, I think the goals will come.

2. ThePenguin

ThePenguin New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) pregame thread

The Penguin has returned home to San Jose. Very good flight. If BILL REEVES sees this post, did you get my message? Did you or someone else from the Casbah get a hold of that Blue Crew coordinator?

3. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way I think this will happen, but Id kind of like to see...

Faria-Donovan-Walker
    Dunivant-Ekelund-Mulrooney-Mullan
    Waibel-Dayak-Robinson

Yes a 3-4-3. LA doesnt get much from their midfield really, so I think 3 marking backs could cut it if they have speed (hence no Agoos). Push Dunivant into midfield and tell him not to worry much about defense. 3 forwards means 1v1 matchups with the LA back 3, which I think may lead to success as anytime Donovan gets the ball 1v1 LA is in trouble. If LA packs it in I think you have all the personell youd want in to crack a bunker, and with 3 marking backs you dont have to worry so much about the counter as you wont have wingbacks caught up the field. Plus its probably far outside the realm of what LA expects to see.

Not sure its a sound idea, but I think it would be fun.

And 2-0 shouldnt be an insurmountable mountain. But when you look at a team that has had trouble scoring recently, on a field that is small and tight making it bunker friendly, it seems a bit bigger.

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For once, I think I agree with lurking. I would like to see them try a 3-4-3, they have the speed, mobility and teamwork that are required for this formation. It would require work in practice. Frank is a 4-4-2 guy as he has often said, so I doubt we will see it. Might try some variation, though.

5. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    [​IMG]

Hopefully, this is a good omen for tomarrow.

6. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco

Faria is useless, and we don't have enough healthy forwards, so I'd rather see 3-5-2 with Ekelund is an offensive midfielder.

7. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Made it out to today's practice. Here's what I concluded:

- DeRosario, Corrales, Alvarez, and Ching didn't take part. They're not playing tomorrow.

- Walker will partner with Donovan up front.

- Ekelund seems fine. Whatever the reason for his absence in the first match, he'll play offensive mid tomorrow.

- Robinson seems a little banged up. Dayak's definitely not 100%. Russell may be carrying an injury as well.

Based on what I saw, this is my best guess at the line-up:

Onstad
    Waibel Dayak Agoos Dunivant
    Lagos Mulrooney Ekelund Mullan
    Donovan Walker

Pretty offensive squad, but I hope I'm wrong about Lagos getting the nod.

GO QUAKES!

8. dmlove

dmlove New Member

Nov 8, 2003

I'm going tomorrow, but wonder if it's true that the game is not on TV??

9. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

At approximately 6:25pm PST I think we lost this series.

It began to rain.

Hard.

Incessantly.

I had a feeling pulling back 2 goals without our best forward pairing was going to be difficult. Now, with a heavy and slow track against a bunkered defense, I fear it will be downright impossible.

Fellas, it's been good to know you...

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is this Spart? The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald? Doom and gloom!! No. No.

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, Mr. Spartacus, it could be a good thing.

1) Hartman will have a harder time holding onto a slick ball.
    2) When the field's wet, the offense can have the advantage because the defenders will be the one's reacting and having to make sudden moves ... the defense could be slipping more than the offense. It'll be easier for Landon to plant and make a good cut with the ball than for Hyung-Bo to react at the last second and change directions.

of course, Nos. 1 and 2 work both ways.

Either way, GO QUAKES!!!

i just hope the rain doesn't keep too many people away.

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a post on here earlier that I deleted that basically said the same thing as the Quakes magic article. But if they heard the same thing ....

Dunivant is out. Why? Why? Why?

I can understand the offense thing ... but WAIBEL? Hell, put Mullan back there.

I think this is a terrible move unless for some reason Dunivant is out. Waible ... i'm literally shuddering at the thought of him replacing Dunivant.

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the article...

The most notable changes will take place in defense, where Yallop is replacing both of his regular fullbacks in Todd Dunivant and Chris Roner. In their place will be Eddie Robinson and Craig Waibel with Robinson partnering Troy Dayak in the center of defense, while Jeff Agoos will slide outside to left fullback, a position he last played in 2000 when he was a member of D.C.United. After practice on Saturday, Agoos didn’t seem the least bit perturbed by the prospect of playing outside. Agoos told MAGIC "It’s been a little while, but it will come back." Yallop added that although Agoos will be playing left back, he will have license to go forward at every opportunity as this will free Agoos to focus on serving balls into the box. Yallop told MAGIC "I want Jeff on the ball and I want him in areas where he can deliver the ball, especially at Spartan."

I can understand the mindset with Agoos. In Yallop's system, left back is a position that can be used as a key attacking role, and Jeff's got a good touch and can pick players out.

Still, I'm a bit newvous about Waibel back there (or maybe I'm more beside myself about seeing Dunivant on the bench). I'll echo what Ringo said-- I'd rather see Mullan back there, although your can't really have two attacking players in Agoos and Mullan occupying the wide spots in the back. Here's hoping Waibel doesn't do anything stupid... depening on one's interpretation of "stupid", of course.

Have to ask the question... can Dunivant play on the right? If he can, then it's a no-brainer as who to play there between him and Waibel.

But nonetheless, bold move by Yallop to apparently play Agoos at left back. Gotta take the game right at 'em...

Game's tomorrow, can't wait.

15. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sure as hell is drastic. Who knows? Sink or swim. I feel like I'm going down into the depths of Lake Superior a la Spartacus. "When the gales of November come early." I think Dunivant would do better at rightback than Craigie. (Even if he is a lefty.) Maybe Frank read my sig line.

16. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd make that move myself-- merely on the basis that Dunivant's a better defender.

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we have a consensus. :)

18. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As if there was ever any doubt. ;)

19. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    plus if we're pushing late and really need that goal, who has the better chance of creating something ... dunivant or waibel with his cement boots?

20. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me. I'll take Waibel as a pure defender. A hard defender. If the last three weeks have shown us anything, it's that we need some hard defending... If LA scores ONE goal, we're toast.

Everyone else can push up, let Waibel crunch some Gals.

21. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, bajoro ... who knows?

nothing left to do but trust yallop and waibel, i guess.

also, since we've all been upset about this I'm sure that means taht waibel will go out and score two goals by himself, almost single-handidly winning us the series. :D

but i'd still rather have dunivant for personal reasons. He's Hot Toddy (or at least Albany thinks so). ;)

22. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA

I'd definitely rather see todd in the game then waibel!!! waibel can't do crap!! i mean we haven't see anything good from him for a LONG time, maybe ever.

btw, rain....anyone know if it's going to be raining around game time tomorrow?

23. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) pregame thread

I don't think Waibel's the reason we've scored one goal in the last... five?... games.

And he definitely didn't have anything to do with the two goals LA scored last week. Unlike... Todd for one.

24. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, Dunivant.

So maybe Yallop's leaving him on the pine as an outside possibility as a late-game sub.

25. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, don't ask me. sjqf speaks for me on such matters. :)
    Maybe Frank will wait until Craigie is about ready to get his second yellow and then pull him out and throw Dunnie in.