San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sun., 11/9) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you MAD???

:)

Seriously, Roner played about the worst game I've ever seen from a Quakes player in the Yallop era. His confidence must be close to zero right about now. I'd rather see Waibel.

2. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I figure we have 2 chances in this game.

First is we start Walker, and he continues to wreck havoc like its the 80th minute. Dont really see this happening.

Second is Landon gets that chip on his shoulder and decides to take over the game instead of kicking players.

Keeping goals out of the net Im not too worried about. Its getting them in LA's that concerns me.

3. Snapshot

Snapshot New Member

Aug 24, 2001
    Orange, CA
    Viewing KC/CO game

Hate to invade your space but where in Sj can I watch this game?

"The Kansas City Wizards host the Colorado Rapids in Saturday’s winner-take-all contest, which kicks off at 8:30 p.m. ET from Arrowhead Stadium, live on Fox Sports World, HDNet and Fox Sports en Espanol."

I'll be downtown on Saturday. Does the Pub (name escapes me) downtown get these stations and willing to show? I should be arriving around game time. Are the quacker fans going to get together to watch to see whom one of our teams will be playing?

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Viewing KC/CO game

You're thinking of the Britannia Arms. And they'll show the KC-Colorado game, no problem.

5. ThePenguin

ThePenguin New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) pregame thread

Does anyone know how I can get in contact with the CASBAH? Who is the man guy in charge? I would really like a chant sheet. Do a lot of people know the chants that they sing? I was serious about the CASBAH getting a hold of the guy who coordinates the BLUE CREW.

I would love to see a stadium chanting with the CASBAH and cheering with the BLUE CREW.

Has the CASBAH ever distributed CHANT SHEETS at a game? This would be a great game to do it.

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure, but I think the head man is still Darrin. However, he rarely posts on Big Soccer. Two of the leading lights of the Casbah that do post here frequently are Bill Reeves and Noah Elliott. I don't know if they have that stuff written down though.

7. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

I think some of the chants are available on the Casbah's website (www.thecasbah.org). They also tried to pass out lyric sheets in the middle of last season and it bombed horribly. We also tried to flash the simpler chants on the scoreboard (when we recognized them quickly enough in the press box)...but the crowd hasn't caught on.

This is something that we won't be able to start with a couple of passionate pleas...this will have to be something that builds slowly...transitioning from the American tradition of being led in cheers by the Blue Crew to the soccer tradition of spontaneously signing and chanting.

For this game...I say we place our trust in almighty Kate and let the rest build as it will.

8. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Re: San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) pregame thread

Your enthusiasm is welcome, but please quit SHOUTING! Everyone here knows who the CASBAH is.

I presume you're all coming out on a short bus(?).

9. ThePenguin

ThePenguin New Member

Nov 4, 2003

So I e-mailed the guy in charge of the Blue Crew and told him about my suggestion for the game on Sunday. He e-mailed me back and said that he has been thinking the same things (teaming up with the Casbah) since last Saturday.

He said that he sent an e-mail to Darrin on Tuesday, but he hasn't received a response. He wants to put together a chant sheet of the songs that the Casbah chant frequently (e.g. San Jose) and have the Blue Crew help distribute it to the fans. He wants to help the Casbah get louder by getting the rest of the stadium involved. This guy is cool, his name was Auggie. Does anyone know him? If so, tell him thanks for his quick response.

Oh yeah, he believes that if the Casbah and Blue Crew team up, that Spartan Stadium can become a true home field advantage. The fans need to help as well. Now, its time for bed because I have a 2pm flight from Indy. Time to go home and cheer on my Quakes. See everyone soon. GO QUAKES!!!

Someone find Darrin.... and tell him to check his e-mail.

10. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I know who Auggie is. He is a really cool guy. I hope he is able to coordinate things with the Casbah.

I thought Darrin moved and Brad was in charge of the Casbah now. Am I wrong?

11. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Brad (blacktide on these boards) now leads the CAS..err...Casbah. You should try contacting him.

Darrin, former Casbah head, now lives in So Cal. When he's not saving LA from Godzilla he rassles gators on the side.

The song list, chant sheet was tried before and didn't really work, although I did managed to give some to Mr. Agogo (which contained a tongue in cheek jab at his offside addiction). It was fun watching the team on the bench read it.

The Casbah will be louder on Sunday, even if it's just me doin' it, but it won't be.

Sunday, Ruiz is gonna wish he was Serna.

yippee-ky-yea mother*#*#*#*#er!
    Cowboy up, ya'll

(Drum) Guy
    Aye, yi, yi, yi...
    Ru-iz no ti-e-ne ca-JON-es

12. chacarita

chacarita New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Newport Beach
    I hope that you all checked out Yallop's weekly answer section at the quakes website. When asked in a ways who would be at forward, he says that Dwayne and Landon did well but might not play and said that Jamil makes things happen. Looks like it is Walker the Galaxy killer and Landon! Also, he goes on to say that Ramiro still might play!

13. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) pregame thread

You just made me want to go to this game on Sunday - rain or no. Thanks Guy! That's just what I needed!

We may be going out, but I ain't gonna miss my last chance at Ruiz and Serna. :p

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This quote also makes it seem like Ekelund's going to be ready:

Let's hope so.

Viva la Quakes!!!

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) pregame thread

And others on that team, too. No one on the Galaxy should escape unscathed.

And as long as we're talking about audience involvement, I was at the sub-editors' desk at work at the Ballarat Courier last night, when this idea hit me like a ton of bricks (perhaps in true Sam Newman-esque fashion)... and if there are any Kiwis reading this thread, I'll apologise in advance.

This has to do with those of you in the north end, mainly... How about you crazies in the Casbah, those aligned with Club Quake and otherwise, and perhaps the Ultras over on the other end as well, make some sort of sheep noises every time Simon Elliott of the Galaxy touches the ball on Sunday?

Now I know that the likes of Carlos Ruiz, Diego Serna, and even Alexi Lalas and Cobi Jones have earned the wrath of the fans' ire back home-- but seeing that Elliott is a New Zealander, and we all know how much New Zealanders love their sheep (if you catch my drift), perhaps Elliott deserves some derision from the fans as well.

I hope you consider this to be a good idea for Sunday... or is it just plain baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad? :D

I'd love to hear something like this over a webcast. Let me know what you think.

16. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco

Is it possible to bring a severed sheep head on a stick inside the Stadium? :)

17. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Severed sheep head is fine, but no sticks. They can be used as weapons, you know.

18. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) pregame thread

We have our fun with Simon. Hehe.

But I'm not going near Cobi. I'm scared. I was teasing him about the whole "four" thing. And then I was telling him he sucked. And all he said was, "Aww...you're such a beautiful lady." :eek: Someone save me!

19. Gandalf21

Gandalf21 Member

May 22, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose v Los Angeles, game 2

What makes anyone realistically believe that a team that has scored only 1 goal in their last 5 MLS matches will score 3 (or 2 and win the PK tiebreaker) against a team that has not allowed more than 2 goals in any contest this season?

I dearly hope that I am wrong, wrong, wrong, but the Quakes poor play of late combined with all their injuries make me think that their offseason is going to begin late Sun night.

On a brighter note, at least Quakes fans are able to talk about the playoffs. If things seem real bleak, just recall those lean years of 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2000. (Thanks, Dallas for taking over the title of Most Inept, you can keep it for a good long while; that is, unless you want to give it to the Galaxatives)

20. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) pregame thread

That sheep head idea sounds like something right out of The Godfather. Just sayin'... ;)

21. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco

Aha! That's where rumors about Russian mafia in SF Bay Area are coming from :)

22. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) pregame th

If Cobi had to be right about one thing in his life, that would be it. :)

Go ahead, everyone-- give Elliott hell. Remember, New Zealand's a place where the men are men and the sheep are in abundance. :p

23. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Jose v Los Angeles, game 2

What does realism have to do with it? Teams don't always win by looking at things realistically.

24. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco

I see: you already joined The Great Oceanian Rivalry :)

25. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003

This may have been discussed before, but these are the post-Ching injury, non-Dallas games where Quakes scored two or more goals, w/ lineups and subs:

September 7 v. New England (home; 2 goals)

Pat Onstad
    Jeff Agoos
    Todd Dunivant
    Eddie Robinson
    Craig Waibel
    Ramiro Corrales
    Ronnie Ekelund
    Brian Mullan
    Richard Mulrooney
    Landon Donovan
    Manny Lagos

Subs:
    D De Rosario for M Lagos (30)
    J Walker for D De Rosario (86)

Goals:

Dwayne De Rosario (42)
    Landon Donovan (52)

September 20 v. Kansas City (away; 4 goals)

Pat Onstad
    Troy Dayak
    Todd Dunivant
    Eddie Robinson
    Chris Roner
    Ramiro Corrales
    Ronnie Ekelund
    Brian Mullan
    Richard Mulrooney
    Dwayne De Rosario
    Landon Donovan

Sub:
    J Walker for D De Rosario (79)

Goals:

Landon Donovan (26)
    Eddie Robinson (54)
    Landon Donovan (70)
    Landon Donovan (90)

In the other post-Ching injury, non-Dallas games, the goals scorers have been: Ekelund, Corrales, Mullan, Walker.

Conclusions? Nothing that hasn't already been brought up before.

Keep Lagos out. Keep at least one of Agoos and Roner out, maybe both. Put DeRosario in if his injury/physical condition permits, even if it's only for 30 minutes or less. Put Walker in for as long as his fitness allows. Keep Faria out.

If we can score a goal in the first 30 minutes, I think the remaining 60 will see some excellent chances-- and if the finishing is excellent, then I would expect a second goal before the end of regulation.