San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sun., 11/9) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Re: Best Tailgate Party Contest

Guy named Brian already did that two years ago. In fact, his article ran in several parts in the MLS programs last season. IIRC, he named Spartan the best overall.

2. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Is Dayak even going to be able to play, rumor has it that there's some witnesses for his punch on Ruiz, and he could be suspended....

3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Dayak PUSHED Ruiz after el flopadillo spit in his face. Our people saw it happen too. Funny how two sides can see the same incident and come out with different stories:rolleyes:

4. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) pregame thread

Actually, spitting in someone's face can be easily classified as an attempted murder (with a good lawyer, of course) because of all viruses, etc...
    I, actually, heard about a real case like that (a person spat at the cop while being arrested).

5. Gandalf21

Gandalf21 Member

May 22, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SJ v LA, Semi Game 2

As tedwar said, one of Yallop's strengths is that he puts players in positions to succeed. However, one of his weaknesses is he doesn't use his bench enough early in the season. This worked out ok for him in 2001, the team was remarkably free of injuries that year.

But, in 2002 and again this year, injuries have been overwhelming at the end of the year. Is it because Yallop wears out the players and they are more susceptible to injury late? That's certainly open for debate.

But the point for this post is that the subs are not ready to pick up the slack because they have been rusting on the bench all season. I love Yallop, think he is the best coach in MLS, but he has to rethink this strategy.

Of course, it's too late for this year. But this SF Giants post-season collapse imitation has got to end.

6. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    In the immortal words of Dandy Don Merideth:

Turn out the lights,
    The party's over,
    They say that all
    good things must end..... :(

The only thing the Quakes have going for them is that I have them losing on aggregate goals. If that prediction goes as well as my others: Quakes and Chicago finish 9 and 10 with the Crew winning MLS Cup. (In all fairness to me, a randomly picked migrant farmworker could have coached the Crew to an MLS cup this season)

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, 2003.......Discuss

7. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

I remember singing the same tune when El Fishadinner flopped that second goal in...but I'm moving slowly over to the "it's 2-nil at halftime" camp and if we can pull a goal back in the first 20 minutes we have a shot. If it goes to intermission still 2-0 on aggregate, then we're fished.

8. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    As much as a I like what Yallop has done, you can't wimp your way through the last five games of the season and get bumped out of the first round of the MLS Cup playoffs two years in a row and expect to keep your job.

9. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like the best way to do well in the MLS playoffs is to get hot right before the playoffs start. Worked for LA and New England last year, and SJ the year before that. Now LA is poised to advance while SJ just peaked too soon. Or something. I hope the new coach takes this under advisement.

10. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

Connection?

11. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    No...rumor has it that SJ has already talked to Mo Johnson about the job...interesting development.

12. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa, Mo Johnston has been a migrant farmworker for the last couple of years? Who knew?

13. Rumbler

Rumbler New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    San Jose

Start Ekelund, Jamil, Arturo, and Robinson if okay. I guess De Ro is out and sit Roner and Russell and we should win, easy as that. We did substitute the young guys earlier in the season and they did well and we scored goals. If Yallop does this, I think we have a good chance at pulling this off. Faria has not impressed me at all so I think the young guys should get there chance because they have been with us the whole season.

14. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Re: SJ v LA, Semi Game 2

Not sure where that came from. FY was FORCED to play his bench due to all the injuries, especially at the start of the year. I agree that he has a tendancy to keep players in individual games too long, but that doesn't equate to never playing the reserves. You could say that Todd, Jamil, Roner, Mullan started out as bench players and now are well tuned up for the playoffs. Nobody really expected much out of any of them at the beginning of the year.

Who exactly isn't ready to go now? I mean because of lack of playing time, not injury? Alvarez?

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alvarez iffy

From this morning's Mercury-News (as mirrored in the editions of the Monterey County Herald), Arturo Alvarez's status for Sunday is very much up in the air.

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/sports/7188072.htm

--Quakes dribbling whiz Arturo Alvarez, who could give his team a much-needed spark on offense, sat out Tuesday's practice with a strained groin. His status for Sunday is unknown.

16. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA

You've got to be kidding me. UGH this sucks! Well it was only a matter of time...

17. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

The possibility of rain through the weekend...who does it help, who does it hurt (on the field...never mind at the gate)?

18. ThePenguin

ThePenguin New Member

Nov 4, 2003

Any way you look at it, this game is going to be a battle. A FIGHT TO FINISH!! The type of game that creates memories. I believe in my team which is why I'm coming in from Indiana on friday and bringing my enitre family to the game (18 people) on Sunday. LET IT RAIN because I'm ready for the battle. I am sure the TEAM is ready for the battle too.

EVERYONE OF YOU EARTHQUAKES FANS need to get ready. On Sunday, we need to show our team that we SUPPORT them and that WE BELIEVE in them. How do we do that? BY CHEERING and CHANTING AS LOUD and FREQUENTLY AS POSSIBLE. We need to go (as I like to say) BALLS OUT! The CASBAH, ULTRAS (how ever many they bring?), and the BLUE CREW need to STEP IT UP and make SPARTAN STADIUM the loudest it has ever been. We can't let the rain stop us.

The CASBAH has some great chants, but the only problem is that no one knows them. MAKE A CHANT SHEET AVAILABLE to everyone. Whoever plays the music at the stadium, even though I like what you play, you need to let the CASBAH chat on SUNDAY, so that the chanting environment is created. Now, when the CASBAH chants, EVERYONE NEEDS TO CHEER. Support the CASBAH and CHANT. I hope you tear it on Sunday CASBAH.

The BLUE CREW can really make a difference, but my friend (She is the one that is on top of the EAST ledge all the time) tells me that the fans (especially on the WEST side) don't like to cheer. ON Sunday, this cannot happen. If the team is to feel our support, EVERYONE needs to CHEER AND CHANT. BEAT LA, GO QUAKES, EARTH-QUAKES, whatever. Support the BLUE CREW on SUNDAY and get loud. GO BLUE CREW.

The ULTRAS, now this is new bunch, I haven't really seen you guys in action,but you this is game where you need to BRING PEOPLE. BRING A GROUP or GROUPS. You want to get recognized bring a GROUP and GET LOUD. I know at times you can go a little overboard with your chanting (profanity), THATS NOT COOL. If you got to use profanity, use it at home, unless your directing your comments to RUIZ.. (Don't get me started on him) But ULTRAS, spread the word and bring people. Oh yeah and CHANT!!! Good luck.

Now if the CASBAH, ULTRAS, and BLUE CREW can get loud then everyone should get loud. I hope I don't hear the Riot Squad or the Galaxians. I want the song and chants of my FAVORITE MLS TEAM, THE SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES.

Lets all pick up our spirits and work together to give our EARTHQUAKES an extra boost of motivation as they STICK IT TO THE GALAXY on sunday. WE CAN DO IT!!!GO QUAKES and WEAR YOUR BLUE Colored Clothes.

THANKS!!

19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome, Penguin, and all 18 of the family members! All the way from Indiana. Are you renting a bus? Anyway, look forward to seeing you, here.

20. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

Interesting that you have the scored getting leveled, then the stadium. Are you suggesting, in some subtle way, that the renovations to Spartan should involve moving the West stands?!?

If the West side *was* going to topple over it's a good thing you Sigi the Human Airbag to break your fall.

21. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

...and tell me, when the West stands did topple over onto the field, do you recall anything in your dream about getting to watch a replay of it on a Jumbotron anywhere at Spartan?

22. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

Interesting blurb in Connolly's column on MLSNet.com...

"The column-ending predictions

Conference Semifinals Game Two
    Sat: Kansas City 3, Colorado 1 (Kansas City wins series)

Sun.: New England 2, MetroStars 1 (New England wins series)
    Chicago 1, D.C. 1 (Chicago wins series)
    San Jose 3, Los Angeles 1 (San Jose wins series in overtime)"

Hard to imagine that happening with all of the injuries we have but anything is possible. I'm just going to show up, think positive, have a good time and hope our guys can pull this off. We've had a full week to prepare for the worst. That would only serve to make it that much more of a rush if San Jose goes through.

Note to those with harsh words for Coach Yallop...hold your tongues. If he manages this team out of this mess and into the semis, you'll be posting all over these boards about how you'll "never doubt FY again."

Let's just show up and do OUR part by supporting the team and being loud.

*sing*

STAND UUUUUUUUUUUUUP IF YOU HATE L.A.
    (This is best done with a beer in your hand.)

Go Quakes!!!

23. batfam

batfam New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Brandon, FL

I am standing and singing!

What a bummer to end a great season with this crappy playoff system. There is no advantage to playing awesome during the season!!!!!

Oh well....I am still hoping for a Quakes' miracle and scorefest. Start chanting...DOUBLE HAT TRICK

Go Quakes!

24. ThePenguin

ThePenguin New Member

Nov 4, 2003

Thank you for the welcome.. I am originally from San Jose, but I'm in college out here in Indiana. All my family is in San Jose, so we are all going to to caravan together.

Are there any CASBAH people on this thread? If so, get in contact with the person who coordinates the BLUE CREW. Your two groups need to work together on SUNDAY.

GO QUAKES!!

25. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If injuries to Alvarez and Corrales keep them out, I think Yallop's lineup to save the season should be as follows (from the front)...

Code:
    [color=blue][size=3]
    ~~~~~~~~~~Walker   Donovan~~~~~~~~

~~~~Lagos Ekelund Mulrooney Russell~~~~~

~~~~Dunivant Robinson Dayak Mullan~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~Onstad~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size][/color]
    Some explanatory notes...

• Walker has to play-- if not on a basis of merit, then out of complete necessity. I still think he serves the team better right now as a supersub, but if you look at the situation being what it is-- halftime, down two-nil-- his pace and finishing skills are much needed over 90 minutes. So I've officially hopped on the "start Walker" bandwagon, effective immediately.
    • Lagos moves to a wing in lieu of Alvarez's absence and Walker playing alongside Donovan up top. Lagos may be much-maligned this season, but I'd rely on his experience in big games and his pace and dribbling skills may be best served especially when the scores are level on aggregate.
    • Ronér's presence would definitely fall into the category of "the lesser of two evils" at right back, over Waibel. However, Mullan's the man there, for that, in the latest chapter of that on-again/off-again experiment, as it would give some flexibility from a 4-4-2 to a 3-5-2, and thereby an extra attacker in midfield.
    • Provided that Robinson's good to go, Agoos sits; the matchups just don't favour him. Dayak plays, for that he matches up well against Ruiz, based on overall reputation.
    • If Ekelund can walk, he can play. His presence and what he brings in the midfield is far too important to the team's overall attacking scheme.
    • And for the love of god and all that is pure and wholesome, please, Landon, please... be as selfish as possible. Landon Donovan has the reputation as the best player in the country, so he should be able to take control of the game on the strengths of his skills and the will of his own soccer brain. Landon, if you have an opportunity to create something, take it yourself. Go for it...

Let's roll!!