San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sun., 11/9) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) pregame thread

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Will San Jose consume the red pill to discover both a scoring touch and the truth of hosting the Western Conference final?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Will Los Angeles ingest the blue pill and continue on down the road as a road-winless Western Conference finalist?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The Earthquakes triumphantly declaring to the world "Tonight let us make them remember... this is Spartan, and we are not afraid!"? The Galaxy winning to prove that Fate is not without a sense of irony?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Discuss.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

2. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

Geez...I feel like the first person to step out on a dance floor at a really dead party. O.K, I'll do it.

What a total snakepit this second game sets up to be! I'm excited to see our guys at home in the playoffs, needing to really come out and attack in an all out fashion. An aggregate win to advance would be such a HUGE rush and such an amazing comeback. IMO, something like that would springboard this team all the way through the MLS Cup. To rebound from a 2-0 deficit and take out your arch-rivals (the defending champs,) that would be truly exhilerating.

Then we have the dreaded alternative...the thought of watching our guys get unceremoniously "bounced" from the postseason for the second year in a row on our home field..this time, by our hated rivals. Most bitter of all is that it would come on a Sunday night. That means after the final whistle, we're left with the sting of reality to accompany the long drive home and the added joy of knowing that another work day is just a few short hours ahead.

Me?....I'm praying for the former.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) pregame thread

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp And not just any work day, but a Monday. :eek:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

4. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Jose - Los Angeles W.C. Semi Game 2 (Sunday, 11/9) pregame thread

You're gonna need to do a whole lot more than praying. It's gonna look a whole lot more like what's behind door number 2. And I'm trying to decide if I want to put myself through that on a Sunday night. Of course I will.... But this game is going to suck. One more game against LA that means nothing. They ain't gonna turn this around. I'm not even gonna pretend like they are.

FISH! I'm still so fishin' pissed off at this team. Here's the chance to get back what they've lost and been lacking in the last several weeks. And it was all pissed away! FISH!

5. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we're in LA singing:

"We came a long way just to drink...."

Here's our song for next Sunday:

"We're only out here just to drink...."

This game is gonna suck! :(

6. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    doom doom doom...

gloom gloom gloom....

not me...

Quakes in a blinder....turns everyone's heads on a miraclous run to the Final....

C'mon you Quakes!!!!

7. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    How about: "We're here but just for the beer"?

Or "why are we playing?" sung to the tune of "Oh, come all ye faithful"

This game will truly be ugly, Fat Zigi will play five defenders and bunker like a bastard and the phantom offense of the Quakes will fold faster than a house of cards. This game is just an excuse to get high, stick a fork in us, we're done:mad:

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know that's what the Round One is going to do. I don't know how the Quakes will break through that unless they all bring bazookas.

9. chacarita

chacarita New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Newport Beach
    Hope!?

So I was at the game with agood group of folks and saw many things that could be changed for the next game. Roner needs to sit... PERIOD! He has done good up until now, but the first goal was his fault, he almost gift wrapped a second one to ruiz later, and did jack in the mid, Sorry Chris...bench it should be. Waibel did nothing, his passes are so telegraphed it just gives no space for Mullan to create. So first is who will play that right back. Second, if DeRo is out, we are dead. He was creating well up top with Landon, but they weren't taking their chances. Landon waliked around alot up top, unlike the Landon that would never stop running and pressure the defenders, ...is all the notoriety getting to his head? Maybe! Faria did nothing again, he can't hold the ball! Frank can't let L.A. play the ball to the flanks so easily either. Russell, who had a good game, seemed to let Torres get the ball to easily at times. We could win next Sunday, we just need to pound away till we break them. We did it aganist CSD Munincipal, we just can't let them score. WE CAN DO IT, BE POSITIVE!

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could think negatively about this weekend's second-leg match, but what's the point in that? The season comes down to one game... do or die, folks. Bring on the challenge...

Not unless the Quakes get an early goal. The opening quarter-hour will be all-important, and any early goals will affect the Galaxy's impact of a bunker defence, not to mention bring some much-needed confidence to our own cause.

Also, if Ronnie Ekelund is anywhere near healthy, having in the centre of midfield will make a big difference in terms of what the Quakes can do from an attacking standpoint.

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Hope!?

They don't call me DeathonToast for nothing! Oh, that's right, that's another guy. :)

12. Diestefano

Diestefano New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    la bombonera
    No offensive at all.

The team is in need of a good creative miedfilder( #10).
    This is the reason why Donovan, and Derosario don't score. All the miedfilders are purely deffensive. Just look
    at how many goals were scored in sep. and oct., or for
    that matter during the entire season.
    I just hope they can pull it out next sunday.

13. kevin james

kevin james New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    san francisco
    An early goal for the Quakes could turn the momentum around with the Galaxy in their bunker trying not to make mistakes. Take hope from the l
    lesson the NFL gives us, prevent D doesn't work.

14. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    Agree!! Now is time to stand up and be counted.
    Just renewed my seats for next year at the home of the 2003 MLS Cup Champs.

120 miles one way on game days even when 0-2 in the hole and only 9 hours to punch in time on Monday

15. Rumbler

Rumbler New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    San Jose
    No offensive at all.

What's up with Faria? Where's Alvarez? When De Ro was substituted out and Faria was put in, the game fell out of our hands but when Jamil came in we somewhat got it back but it was too little too late.
    I would much rather see Jamil and Alvarez with Donovan working together rather than Faria. Jamil is quick and Alvarez has good ball control and I haven't seen Faria really do anything at all. Something must be done and we all know that Jamil can score goals so why not put him in as a starter to get the Galaxy quickly on their heels!

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: No offensive at all.

I heartily agree. Faria is still not ready. Frank must realize that. Strange isn't it that on this level you put someone in as a sub and then have to take him out 30-40 minutes later? Arturo and Jamil both work better with this team.

17. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I'd do:

Onstad

Ronér Robinson Goose Dunny

Russell Ekelund Mulrooney Alvarez

Mullan Donovan

Speed on the wings, speed up top -- we're going to need quickness to beat a bunkered defense. (And let's keep the ball on the ground except on set pieces where we can get the big guys in front of goal.) Faria hasn't shown he can do anything; he needs to be on the bench. (I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with us next year but this isn't the time to be working him into the lineup.)

Of course, if DeRo is ready to go, he starts. We looked like easy winners last week until he was injured, then all the air went out of the balloon.

Jamil in for Goose late if we need a goal to force OT.

And where was Ronnie last week?? Hasn't Yallop seen our won/loss record with Mulrooney and Ekelund starting?

18. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Re: No offensive at all.

While I agree that Faria is useless right now, I think Alvarez is a year away.

So start Walker if DeRo is done, or have Walker as first sub and keep Faria as the injury sub.

Or show some huevos and play Walker, Donovan, and Faria (Faria as target man). We need to score, so why not go all out? Something needs to be done to kick start the offense.

19. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Faria is not a target man. He proved that on Saturday. He can't hold the ball. Landon is the one who had to end up in the second half coming back for the ball, holding it, then turning up field and dishing it off; or dropping it back so we could maintain possession. Faria is NOT the answer this year at all.

But I've sort of gotten over my disappointment and hopelessness. I still believe the Quakes can pull it off on Sunday...and if they do there will be no stopping them. There's a picture on Yahoo of Ruiz patting Donovan on the back at the end of the game with a smirk on his face (hey, he earned it) and it got me to thinking that there is NO WAY the guys are going to want to see Galaxy dancing in Spartan stadium celebrating. NO WAY. They are going to show up and show up big. They're gonna leave it on the field.

And they need the fans to SHOW UP AND BE LOUD AND PROUD. The fans can have a tremendous effect on this game. The guys need you. They've given us a season to be proud (because for the most part it was a doom and gloom prediction from everyone in MLS regarding the Quakes, and yet they came through and were an exceptional team.) But now they need the fans to WILL them to victory. It can be done; I witnessed it this weekend with my daughter's team. They were down 3-0 with 4:35 left in the game. Then the rains came, we fans got wild!! and they scored 3 goals (my daughter got the 1st and 3rd :)) and they tied it up. They said we fans really lifted them. I know, I know, it's just U17 girls as opposed to professionals. But this game is a game of emotion and you can have a great effect on the guys.

So show up early, wear blue, be loud and proud, and bring in a 3-0 win!! Go Quakes!!

20. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    wow you guys are down in the dumps. i think you've got the talent to pull out the win, it just depends on your confidence, which i think was dented by frankie's miscalculation on the final season game. you guys played very conservatively and LA played quite well. it was supposed to be a meaningless game, but between that and the 3-0 win.

your guys looked defeated during the game (even before the goals) the galaxy looked like they were enjoying themselves (even when under pressure). the last two games may have been "meaningless" in standings, points and play-off positions, but confidence-wise they appear to have been huge.

still i think sundays game could be the best of the series. i don't believe that sigi will bunker, he might have to for the first 15 minutes because i think you guys are gonna storm out like you did in last week's overtime. but i think he's going to play a strong counter attacking

btw, hows derosario? having him on the field will make a big, big difference.

good luck.

21. chacarita

chacarita New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Newport Beach
    We can still win this game. Again, we were down aganist Csd in the champions cup and went up two nil until we gave up that goal. All we need to do is have confidence in our team, just like still kickin said, we gotta come out and have massive support. I still remember the regular season final game where LA took the victory and seeing them run over to the galaxian section and celebrating at the end of the game. Manm I was pissed. And when I was at the game this last week and seeing Ruiz run over to Dayak, i was fuming, the nerve on that FU**er! We have to win, we need to go out there and support our team! and flip Ruiz oFF!

22. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instant offense for the Quakes from the get go. So as long as FY relegates Faria to the bench and the lads attack, attack, attack, their might be a chance. What could be dreadful is the Galaxy can still lose 2-1, 3-2, 1-0, etc and still advance without having to win on the road, though if they advance they still have to play Colorado or Kansas City on the road and will need to win to play at home.

Also, shut down Ruiz and Moreno. Someone needs to shadow those two or that's the season.

It's desperation time for the blueshirts and they better come out like gangbusters or the only item to show for will be the Western Conference title.

I don't have a Ruiz bobblehead but it would make for good voodoo. :D cheers!

23. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This just in...

Just got the weekly update from the Quakes and the news is not good. Corrales and De Rosario are both listed as "Doubtful" for Saturday's match.

24. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have one. But I don't know what happened to it. I mean, I put it up on the shelf right next to the Cowboy one. Then the next morning it was broke into a million little pieces - arms here, legs there, a foot here and there.... :eek:

25. littau

littau Member

Jul 28, 1999
    37.3509 N 121.9371 W
    Re: Hope!?

I was there too, and what he said!

especially the Roner part. He was weak in defense and worse in attack.