San Jose - Los Angeles (Saturday, 10/25) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but as a matter of reality, we do turn the emotions up and down (not off and on). Things that are not ranked as important don't get the adrenalin going as those that are. Unless there is a burning need to kick the sh!t out of LA (as I think there should be) it's harder to get psyched up for that.

2. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Well, the Ultras' once again get screwed. The fans who are there every game, no questions asked, get pushed around to who knows where. The South End has been opened up, so not us nor management can tell us where they want to be. Keep *#*#*#*#*#ing with your most loyal fans JM. We'll see who gets the last laugh.

3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    It looks like Terry Vaughn is officiating the match on Saturday :(The fourth official is Ricardo Valenzuela. Vaughn is just one more clown in the circus but better to get him out of the way now, maybe we can get that guy Abbey Okalajah(sic) for one of our playoff games.

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why, are you planning on getting him fired or something? Didn't know you had that much pull.

No matter who sits where, I just hope it's a big crowd like we had last year to close out the season.

5. Scoschee

Scoschee New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    SoCal
    Too bad Roger Itaya isn't calling this game. He is a great referee.
    I am not sure how any of you can be saying these last two games are meaningless. If you are playing DC and Dallas, yeah then they are. But two games against your in state rival, the team you most hate, plus the team you face in the first round and that all equals important must wins. Think back to your playing days (assuming any of you did) and imagine losing to your crosstown rival twice in a row and then have to face them again when it means something.
    Sure emotions can be turned off and on, but emotions don't lead to good football. There could be nothing better for the Galaxy to at least draw this next match because those previous 28 matches are out the door and mean exactly fookall come Nov 1st.

PS Beware of the Booze Bus...

6. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to wonder how much of these two games involve a much bigger head game.

Point: The Quakes played far differently in Carson last week than in their many successful away games this season. In most of their road victories, they counter-attacked well. In this game, they possessed well. Almost as if they were doing something different just to not let the Galaxy practice against the "real thing."

At the same time, Sigi could be doing the same thing.

Just a thought, probably a hopeful one at that. Yet Frank hardly seemed concerned after the match.

7. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's two theories about these last two games.

The first theory, held by most LA fans, is that big wins by LA like last Saturday's will give them a big confidence boost and allow them to take the playoffs by storm, and that big losses like SJ experienced will allow the Galaxy to get inside the Quake players heads.

The second theory, held by many SJ fans, is that the games are meaningless -- that the Quakes have turned down the effort in order to conserve themselves for the playoff games. The question here is whether it is possible to "turn it off" and then "turn it on" two weeks later, whatever "it" is. I'm hoping the answer is yes.

So, on that note: They're preseason games. They're meaningless. They have zero impact on the playoff positions. They mean exactly fookall come Nov 1st.

Have fun... seriously. We had fun on our bus trip.

8. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    And make sure to USE bathroom on the bus - this way by the time you arrive to San Jose, the bus will smell almost like home (for you).

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ROFLMFAO!!! :D

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have things gotten that bad since I've been away? Has that Alviso stench drifted that far? :eek:

In my case, it would be akin to taking a weekender to Werribee.

11. Gandalf21

Gandalf21 Member

May 22, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is damage control after the game. Had the Quakes won 3-0, the quotes would be the same, just reversed.

Scoschee is right (can't believe I am agreeing with a fan of any SoCal team), when you play the team you are going to immediately face in the playoffs, there is a psychological importance to the games.
    Even if there is no importance to the standings.

12. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I just bought one of those 20 tickets for $150 bucks deals for my kids soccer team which I coach. There were only three sections left with 20 adjacent seats, so it's going to be a crowd. They mentioned they'd opened up the south end zone and were hoping for a lower bowl sell-out.

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, we're fans! What do you want? Objectivity? Leave that to John Doyle.:D

14. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news. Let's hope they get at least 20K. T'would be sweet.
    No rally-towel giveaways this time?

15. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    From the Quakes official website:

The first 5,000 fans will receive a magnet picture frame presented by Milo.

16. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    This sucks for the Ultras, I imagine the complaints will start before the match does. Regardless we will be standing, drinking, singing, cursing, etc.

Earthquakes Double Headed this Sat.

Quakes vs. Galaxy
    Ultras vs. "Real Fans"

17. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

18. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's really kind of pathetic.

19. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    All I gotta say is that I hope there is a big attendance turnout. This is the last game before playoffs and we gotta end on a high-note, attendance-wise!!

20. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    By that, you mean the Galaxatives playing well??...scoring more than one goal and it coming from something other than a Fish PK?? In that regard, it certainly was different!

21. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    no Corrales and Dayak seems to be in doubt....

please no Lagos....

22. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Bubble gum and bailing wire." Haven't heard that for a long time.

24. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice article. Some comments:

1. I like the idea of Ekelund playing at Spartan and Donovan playing at HDC. Ekelund just can't handle the pace and tends to slow down the attack on the larger fields. This wouldn't be a problem if we could break down defense, but without Brian, it's not happening. Can Faria setup? Speaking of slowing down attacks...

2. Manny "Where Attacks Die" Lagos. Love his effort and committment. Time to retire to the bench or just plain retire. We could really use Arturo...

3. Dayak confirmed to me that the injury bug is finally catching up to the team. Not good news about the condition of his knee. Nor, do I like the fact that Robinson is not even on the roster for the game. We will not win the MLS Cup with Craig at centerback...

4. Frank said the following: "I wouldn’t say that was why we lost the game. It wasn’t through the middle of our midfield. Really we defended poorly out wide." Hopefully, Roner and Dunivant will stepup...

25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I'm just loving it that the galaxatives fans can't get over the fact that we don't give a shyte about last weeks game result.

PS: People, it's going to be hot on Saturday(90-92), make sure to wear your sunblock and drink plenty of fluids.