San Jose - Los Angeles pregame Bay Area newspaper articles (Sunday, 11/9/03)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Merc's report, Yallop appears to be tipping his hand with the lineup, and in a major way, if what Dylan Hernandez says is correct.

The clues are Walker up top with Donovan, an Agoos-Dayak-Robinson-Waibel back line, left-to-right, and Lagos on the left flank in midfield with Ekelund returning to partner with Mulrooney in the centre of midfield.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Is that a good or a bad lineup for today's game? :confused:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

4. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but Waibel starting? He hasn't shown me anything all year. The guy gets burned almost every time. The lineup would be great if he would keep Roner in instead of Waibel. Besides, in the Merc article, he talks about an offensive lineup. Waibel can't play any offense, plus he has a short temper. At least leave Dunivant in there, who has played all year and done so very well. The guy has been solid!

Also, I like Lagos and think he creates a lot of opportunities. But, I think he would serve the team better coming off the bench. We need the speed of Russell to get things going. Furthermore, does anyone really think that Russell is more of a defensive mid? I was at a loss for words when I saw that in the paper today.

And finally...going back to the defense. Am I one of the few who think Onstad is a good keeper, but not the great keeper that everybody says he is? Sure, the stats make him look great, but people aren't giving our defense the credit they should be getting. Onstad is no Cannon in my eyes. Heck, look at the first goal LA scored last week. Hi....just fall on the ball Onstad!!!! Sorry, but have you really seen Onstad making the spectacular saves that we were accustomed to seeing when Cannon was here? I just think people need to give credit to the defense for making him look so good on paper.

I just hope that soccer gods are on our side tonight!

GO QUAKES!