San Jose - Kansas City W.C. Final (Saturday, 11/15) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by dfb547490, Nov 16, 2003.

1. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to the fan support: you guys are AWESOME!! You get a great big :D from me. It sounded like an EPL game to me... all the singing and all. You deserved that win! Thanks so much for bringing in the Western Conference Champions Trophy.

Go Quakes!

P.S. I read it on a thread somewhere how y'all applauded the KC team bus as they pulled away from Spartan stadium. Y'all are indeed awesome. You make me proud!

2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll probably be posting in bits and pieces here as I think about the game.

What about the great defensinve play by Donovan on Chris Klein early in the match. That was pretty cool.

3. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To give credit where it's due, that was Bajoro's idea. And the rest of the fans didn't hesitate to follow. It was actually a great moment.

4. footiegrrrl

footiegrrrl New Member

May 22, 2002
    Ohio
    Amazing, amazing playoffs for the Quakes. Just when I was starting to get my voice back from last weekend, it's gone again after last night! It's going to be an unbelievable final this year and I believe that the Quakes are going to win it all....there is some serious mojo going on with that team!
    And last night after LD scored, my husband looked at me and said, "I bet Chicago just said
    OH SH#T!"

5. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    To me, it appeared that Craig wasn't quite on his game last night. Mullan had to totally pick up his slack. At some parts I saw Mullan racing to get to the attacking offense, with me thinking....."where's Waibel????"

6. Karl Lagodzki

Karl Lagodzki Member

Jan 26, 2000
    Bloomington, IN
    Good game!

Poor officiating was hurting you more than KC since you were the attacking team, but in the end justice prevailed.

Glad to see it - the final should be a close, exciting game with the Fire coming on top in the end. :)

7. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mullan was my MOTM as well, that guy never quits running at both ends of the Field. Once again a great performance in the middle by Ronnie & Richard.

I can't wait for next week, 3 days in Santa Barbara and then on to Carson to see the most exciting team in MLS bring home the Cup! :)

8. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    This was a game I would have gone a long way to see, oh wait, I did:D The crowd was electric, the beer was flowing, I lost my voice again, the ref was shyte and Erin is a hottie!
    I think MLS scraped the bottom of the barrel when the put Kevin Stott in as referee. I told you that guy was incompetent, I just didn't expect the whole crew to be inept as well.
    Nothing but heart from our boys, pure guts and left them all on the pitch. 480 miles round trip and worth every minute of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicago is going to be tough, don't anybody underestimate them, but for now enjoy the victory:D

GO QUAKES!

9. batfam

batfam New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Brandon, FL
    Wow! What a game! I can't take anymore of these nail biters. Overall I thought we played well in good stretches but lost momentum at the end. For long periods of time it looked like K.C. was winning every single ball. Our boys in blue never quit though.

My hat is off to the Wizards. They played a spectacular game and were very tough. Klein, Harris, Wolfe, and Quill are classy players who have my respect. Fat Tony on the other hand....... I did enjoy taunting him the whole night. He will wake up in the middle of the night for years to come hearing "Fat Tony they are commin' for ya."

The officiating was adequate. The ref let a lot go and I can understand why. The non-offside play resulting in the Klein goal was inexcusable.

For the Cup I think we will see a lineup change again. It will probably confuse us all (like always) but will turn into pure magic. I have given up on second-guessing Yallop. I am not going to beat Waibel up, but think someone else needs the start instead of him. We will have our hands full with Beasley, Armas, Ralph, and Razov and we will prevail!

When I returned from the game last night I watched all the goals on tape. After tha LD golden goal did you all see Johnny Moore come screaming out of the player's entrance tunnel with his fist in the air? Instant classic!!!! We need a picture of that on the Quakes site.

I Believe!!!!!

Go Quakes!

10. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
  11. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003

Around the 82 minute mark, Johnny was at the bottom of the North ramp looking rather concerned. He said that the boys on the field would do it. 30 seconds later, he was the proudest man on the field. He must have been over 7 feet tall the way he jumped.

He was much taller at the 117th minute.

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I don't think I can, William. It's something that she is going to have to experience by being at the matches. I'm afraid that if I had never taken that plunge, I would never be the kind of fan I am now. But, once we get here there, then the whole thing is going to change. I'd bet on it, 50 bucks, no problem.

13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That has got to be some of the worst officiating I've ever seen, and I'm including hundreds of AY games. The AR on the east side was incredibly awful, repeatedly failing to flag the offsides, including that lame Klein goal. Which the Quakes might even have stopped, but the defense sort of fell back because the offsides was so blatant.

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that case, I might have to encourage her to take a punt on the game at the local TAB Sportsbet, rather than having her weekly fling on the pokies. :D

I think once we view the games on tape together, I think she might gain an understanding of what it's like. And that'll have to do until we can actually be back home for the real experience.

And as an aside, right before we went to bed last night, I was flipping channels around here and on the Fox Footy Channel (a channel here that's devoted to Aussie Rules football), they were having an offseason replay of the game where Geelong upset then-top-of-the-ladder Port Adelaide, a game that we were at in person. I called out to her, "Honey! Come quick! It's another game that I cried at the end of!!", and she replied with words such as, "Oh, god, not again"... I can't understand what she means by it all sometimes, but seeing it is good for the odd giggle.

15. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even having witnessed the game in person, there's not a whole lot I can add to what's been said...

Though I will say it's quite heartening to know that the Quakes drew 16,000+ on the same night and the same time that the Sharks played before a sellout crowd a few miles away at the HP Pavilion. :D

16. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    I agree. The crowd was amazing last night. Even watching it on tape after I got home from the game, I think I will have "San Jose" chants stuck in my head for awhile!! It was great to see so many seats filled. I knew there was going to be a good attendance :)

17. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    After last night's match before the champaigne kicked in, I asked Richard Mulrooney to compare this victory to the one two years ago.

He specifically mentioned the atmosphere of Spartan Stadium last night. He said that all the players on the field were amazed and talking with each other about the noise level.

The crowd was so loud that they felt their shirts vibrating with the sound waves.

18. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    INCREDIBLE!! I think we were all on a high last night!

19. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Actually, not just last night but for the past week!

20. novocaine

novocaine New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    San Jose
    new here! Anyone know

when I could catch the most recent game against Quakes vs KC on TV? I live in San Jose and have Comcast as my cable service. Channel and times would be great!!!!

21. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just ain't a-whistlin' Dixie! :)

22. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember there was one particular "San Jose" chant in the second half it felt that the entire stadium picked up. It reverberated so much, so loudly, my ears were on the verge of ringing.

I honestly couldn't help but think at that moment, "Am I in San Jose, or somewhere in Europe?"

23. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: new here! Anyone know

Fox Sports World is showing an MLS Soccer game tomorrow (Monday, Nov. 17) at 2:00 p.m (PST). I don't know for sure if it will be the Quakes-KC game, it says teams TBA. You can check that one out, though.

24. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud New Member

Apr 5, 2003
    Mountain View
    SOME RANDOM THOUGHTS

I didn’t think the Quakes could top last week’s effort even with a win.

I was wrong.

THE NEWS COVERAGE

It is a shame the local networks didn’t get on this story all week long like they would have for any other team in a semi-final game. If they had we might have got 20,000+ out to Spartan.

THE OFFICALS

Well after watching the game on tape I have to admit that the East side AR is only two-thirds as bad as I thought he was last night. The first KC goal was onsides. I still haven’t seen a good replay of the second KC goal so I have to trust my eyes and the eyes of everyone else in the stands and say he missed it. The third one wasn’t close and the AR (severe Roger Ataya flashback) was way out of position but I think our fans in the front row let him have it good and that might have got us that offside call on Wolff late in the game. That was close even with a good replay.

I can’t complain about the Ref, he let too much go, but he was consistent, and I don’t mind the “No penalty kicks in overtime without a decapitation” rule anyway. I would rather see it decided like it was last night.

MOTM

Pat Onstad!?!

It was his best game of the season. He came out off his line more times than ever, was always right in doing so, and was late only once and he blocked that one. He was especially strong after we went down to three defenders.

SECRET WEAPON

I don’t know if it had any effect but I did bring my magnet schedule to the last two games. Anyone want to take it to the HD center?

25. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incredible game. I was well past mdnight watching my tape of teh game, finishing off a couple of quiet beer, jumpion out of my sofa on Mullan's beautiful goal and Donovan's as well. Nervious as hell the whole night but the boys came through. Great stuff. Incredible joy.

Party on. We'll start thinking about the Fire - who are a great team - tomorrow.