San Jose - Kansas City W.C. Final (Saturday, 11/15) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by dfb547490, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Sorry Nap, but it was just one major spanking at Spartan this year (with many of the Quakes starters missing or injured, including Pat Onstad due to international duty).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The other two times the teams met this season, they were both at near or full strength and both games ended in draws. ;)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. amir

amir Member

Feb 19, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Thats the thing about the Quakes. Individually Chicago might look better, but I think that we do have the best team work in the MLS, and thats what matters.

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: San Jose - Kansas City W.C. Final (Saturday, 11/15) postgame thread [R]

And that was on my birthday, dammit!

Four-nil... unfortunately, I remember that all too well. Took off down the Midland Highway towards Geelong soon thereafter, where I had to watch Geelong eventually lose in the fourth quarter to the Adelaide Crows.

Other than the ocassion of a family celebration, I was not in a happy mood, suffice it to say.

Let's go get some sweet revenge! :D

4. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    doh!

I stand corrected W--strictly from memory here...

Now, if you can get your head over to LA LA land... :D

I forgot to mention the wet pitch that took the footing out of many players. That could have been an easy excuse but still both teams gave their all.

Now, for all the marbles next weekend!

5. jose8lo

jose8lo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 9, 2002
    washington
    what a game!I had to work so I taped it,incredible, our guys never quit,they have incredible hearts.A couple of mental collapses at times but they hung on.K.C. played great if Simultenkov puts the ball in the back of the net in the first 5 minutes of the game maybe we're done but he missed and that change the momentum of the game a bit.damn it!I'm pumped!Chicago is going to be tough but the guys can do it.go Quakes your 2003 western conference champions!

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could, Nap, my friend.

But it's a bit of an expensive trip.

But if you can send me some pics of next weekend's Supporter's Bash and some of you all in Section 127 at the HDC, we'll call it even. :D

There in spirit, as always.

7. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember who said this, but at the beginning of the season after the scrimmage between the Fire and Quakes at West Valley College, someone said then that MLS Cup this year would be between Chicago and San Jose. Whoever it was, realize now that I have anointed you in prophet status. :)

8. Go-SJ-Quakes!

Go-SJ-Quakes! New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Bay Area
    Hi, this is my very first post on the acclaimed Big Soccer Boards!

Just returned from the game and it was by far the most thrilling one I've ever seen firsthand at Spartan. The crowd (all 16,108 of us strong) was spectacular and I must give huge props to the BlueCrew for keeping the crowd alive and loud the entire match. I brought my 10-year old cousin to tonight's game for his birthday and he could not wipe the big grin off his face the whole car ride home. I am so thrilled that the first professional soccer game he's ever witnessed was one as memorable as this.

On another note, I tip my hat off to every single Earthquakes player for taking the time to sign EVERY fan's parephenelia after the game. My cousin brought home a mini MLS ball signed by practically the entire team (which I know he'll treasure forever). You'd never see an NBA player take this kind of time to take care of his fans, but these MLS players do it day in and day out because they appreciate the fans. That's what makes this league and all those involved so special.

Thank you to the Quakes and to the fellow fans for making tonight so great!

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I had it predicted, too!

But of course, that was at the start of last season. And documented on the website I used to work for, before they went deep-sixed.

That should count for something, right? :D

Also, a hearty hello to G-SJ-Q. Welcome to BigSoccer.

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    William, you're such a homer! Oh, well, what the hell. So am I! Don't talk about the Fariah goal last week and what he said motivated him. You'll get me started, too. :)

11. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    YAAAAHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EARTHQUAKES HA SUGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIII NDA YO!

-happy in Nihon

12. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm so happy. I don't know how else to describe how I feel.

Mullan was MOTM in my opinion. He really picked it up for the right side in the second half. Donovan goal was sweet:) Onstad had some really nice saves.

Refs sucked but it looks like we've already come to a concensus about that.

BRING on the FIRE!! WOHOOO we are going to the CUP baby!!!

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, Wolves, that has to be the funniest thing you have ever written! ROTFLMAO!

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not ashamed of the way I felt, either. I cried after all three goals, and again a few other times tonight after re-living the in-game thread. I can't get enough of what happened, and the way it all unfolded.

My wife still can't understand why I get so emotional over what she calls "just a game". Can you guys help me explain all of this to her, this madness, this passion, this fascination? Feel free to PM her, she's mrs.babytiger on these boards.

Was a pleasure to do the PbP on that thread. I guess one of the few advantages of me being over here in this context is that I can chronicle what's happening while you guys are at the games.

And I'll do the PbP here while I'm watching the game next week, too. What the hell-- it'll be just like witnessing to Eddie McGuire calling a Collingwood game! :D

15. mad4soccer

mad4soccer New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Santa Cruz County
    Landon's on top!

Notice that with another goal and assist tonight, Landon's on top of the playoff goal scoring chart on the mlsnet.com home page with six points!

Go Quakes!!!

-- Marc

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    Welcome to the boards. That's what makes this league so great...the players are so accessible, they care about the fans (for the most part) and you can tell it's the "love for the game" and not "love for the paycheck"

18. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Congrats and What a great match!

I am not able to see every minute of every MLS match, but I was dialed in for this one. Both sides played very good and didn't want to give up a goal. It was obvious that SJ has a better side, talent level wise, but KC really gave you a run for your $. KC played very gutsy football. But the last ET, SJ just has too many thoroughbreads and LD said,
    "screw this (I wasn't a big fan of his until last night) we are NOT going to lose this match!"

LD and SJ showed greatness and the last 2 matches they have won are what make a league legendary and will draw fans from around the world and Americans fans to chat about the Quakes comeback vs. LA (5-4 agg...WOW...still shakin my head) and beating a tough KC side. I'm glad those 1st half brawls didn't amount to anything serious.

The crowd @ Spartan Stadium was great. Being my first year following the MLS and 2nd year following soccer at all...seeing tons of passionate fans really gave me goosebumps. Way to represent the MLS!

Good luck in the MLS Cup Final vs. my Fire. Should be a great match. Best of luck to you!

19. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found these quotes in the Wizards' press release about the game and thought I'd pass them along. Nice to see classy remarks like this -- my hat's off to both sides for a well-played game.

--

Post game Quotes:
    Kansas City Wizards Head Coach Bob Gansler
    On the game:
    "This was a fantastic game for the participants, for the fans, and for the League. Tonight's game was played the way the game needs to be played - it's unfortunate that there had to be a loser. Hats off to San Jose for being resilient; being down twice and still coming back. From our point of view, we need to be able to hold on to those leads: at home, away, it doesn't matter. But my team spilled their guts out there and gave it all they've got. It was good stuff from everybody that played."

Kansas City Wizards Goalkeeper Tony Meola
    On the game:
    "We had the lead and the same thing that haunted us all year came back and bit us in the rear end again; we couldn't keep the lead. Give them credit, though. They fought back and the best team won at the end of the day."

Kansas City Wizards Midfielder Chris Klein
    On the game:
    "Obviously we're very disappointed, but I'm proud of the guys in this locker room. We gave up the lead twice, but we fought hard. We kept fighting back like we did all year, but we lost fair and square. [San Jose] did a good job coming back against L.A., and they came back and won in overtime tonight. All the best to San Jose."

20. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jay Hipps...

Those are some very classy comments by KC. Reading a post that SJ players signed tons of autographs after the match is great to hear. Athletes in other American sports can be so rude to people, but they want your money to come see them play and if you boo they whine...don't show up if you are going to boo. MLS has a fine group of ambassadors for US Soccer and one that fans can be proud.

21. iamticked

iamticked Guest

Oh, boy, here we go again.
    I once again offer to cover materials and shipping costs, via PayPal, to any of my Casbah brethren who can send me a tape of the KC game.
    :D
    And I'm strongly considering extending my trip next weekend into a drive out to L.A. for the Cup...(I've already emailed Patrick about ticket availability!)

Please PM if we can barter for a tape.

Thanks,

Ross from St. Paul

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It should be rebroadcast this week on Fox Sports World.

Additionally, you can view it online (free 2 week trial) at:
    Yahoo! Platinum

23. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're right. During some of the exciting moments in the first half, my VCR got inexplicably turned off...and I didn't realize it until halftime! So I got up to the 26th minute, then the second half and OT.

24. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    FSW should show this game again b/c i thought this was even better than ast week's comeback win. Good Luck against Fire.

25. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, I'm speechless.

I LOVE this team.

Earthquakes: Heart of a champion.