San Jose - Kansas City W.C. Final (Saturday, 11/15) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by dfb547490, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The final score after double-overtime is:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp[​IMG] &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp [​IMG]
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 3 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 2

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp You can read a recap of the game here.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp On to Carson!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

2. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QUAKES!

3. amir

amir Member

Feb 19, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Looked like I was watching a hockey match.

Still in shawk.

4. lgsoccerchic66

lgsoccerchic66 New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Los Gatos
    San Jose - Kansas City W.C. Final (Saturday, 11/15) during-game/postgame thread [R]

Oh my freakin God!! We are going to the MLS Cup! I'M going to the MLS Cup! I'm going to the awards show at Kodak Theater...THIS IS FRICKIN AWESOME!!!

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Jose - Kansas City W.C. Final (Saturday, 11/15) during-game/postgame thread [

I wish.

Too bad it's a bit of a very expensive road trip for me. :(

6. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, sorry, took it the wrong way. Then again, we don't employ the Sigi method of 10-man defense... ;)

Should be a great final, I can't wait...

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This'll get us going...

[​IMG]

LANDONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

DONOVANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

8. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: San Jose - Kansas City W.C. Final (Saturday, 11/15) during-game/postgame thread [R]

I'll second that, one cough drop a couple of beers after getting home and tomorrow work on convincing the wife to let me and the kids roadtrip to LA early next Sunday morning for the match!

Great game tonite and it makes up for missing last weeks game because of a nasty cold!

360 miles and 5 hours and 35 minutes to Carson from SJ. It's gonna be a "Great Road Trip"

Saludos y Musho Clash!

Pichi

9. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did you show your wife that lol???

10. Spiro_In_San_Jose

Spiro_In_San_Jose New Member

Apr 18, 2003
    San Jose
    This Earthquakes team is frikkin' amazing. After losing many starters due to changing locations, and leagues, I thought we were going to have a mediocre season. I was wrong.

11. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
  12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You betcha. :D

Better ask her to get on this thread to let us know what she thinks...

13. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Props to the Casbah for making noise each time the Quakes fell behind. Exactly what was needed.

Ah, these last two games... 20 years from now if they invent time travel I'll come back and see them again :)

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a fat chance here, but any highlights on SportsCenter?

They'd at least better have LD's goal among the Top Ten Plays...

Let me know what's up... I'm too busy on BigSoccer to check the TV in the bedroom. :)

15. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game, I just got done watching it (taped).

This game was far better than the 5-2 win last week. After LA Scored their two goals they kind of just rolled over and died.

This game was competative throughout.

Congrats to San Jose.

This should be a great cup.

16. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    just got back from the game...what a bloody match!

was anyone else who was there convinced MLS was going to have it's first riot had that tosser of a ref or ref assistants tried any harder to hand the match over to kc?

17. littau

littau Member

Jul 28, 1999
    37.3509 N 121.9371 W
    Fantastic! What can I say. This reminded me of the WC qualifiers I've seen. The Casbah was rocking!

I've lost my voice again. It took till Wednesday last week to get it back. I think I'll be healed in time for MLS cup.

18. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Another sensational win for the EQs

Couldn't get downtown in time after a work commitment so dashed to the Cupertino Brit where there were about a dozen others who hadn't made the 10 mile trip but wanted to see the game anyway.

It was a bit distracting 'coz the England rubgy fans were starting to gather for a pre-world cup semi final drinking binge FOUR HOURS prior to their game and some were more interested in talking with me than watching the game. "Oh yeah we love soccer, now what were you drinkin'? As I was saying about that f*****g code enforcement bloke from the city blah blah....." Still one of 'em was a Spurs fan I hadn't met before.

What I did see in between the enforced networking was another terrific come from behind (twice) San Jose victory and the dramatic winner from SuperLan.

Looks like a road trip. Let's roast the rednecks!

Sophisticated leftie Eurocentric granolian Quakes 2, inbred white trash rednecks 1. You saw it here first.

Great weekend. QPR 3 Plymouth 0 -- R's go top of Div II. Quakes pissed on the the Wizz. England about to beat France to make the union world cup final, and a victory over Denmark in the footie (in a meaningless friendly admittedly).

QUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYKSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

19. amir

amir Member

Feb 19, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Simply, AMAZING. Typical Quakes style to comeback from behind and give all of us high blood pressure by doing so. Voice is gone and ears are ringing from the drums at the Casbah.

Donovan surprised me alot tonight. Before tonight, I agreed with Conrad on Donovan being somewhat of a pansy. He has been playing aggressively lately but tonight just did it for him. Usually not a big Donovan fan, but maybe my mind can change.

DeRo, my main man Dero. After he came in, even though we were down, I felt good. He really does bring out the best in players on the field.

Its just amazing how far we’ve come since the beginning of the Quakes about 4 years ago.

Sure to be even better next week.

Aforoozing those non-believers

20. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more game. One more game. One more game.

Came back from the game to watch the highlights on MLS Wrap on FSW. After Donovan scores, you can see Jonnie Moore running down the ramp to the field with his fist raised....

Classic.

Heart. Guts. Glory. Quakes is the epitome of being a team. These two games may have built a franchise...

A blast from the past from Manny, Ekelund, and Russell. Something new from Mullan. A flash from Donovan takes the Quakes to the MLS Cup.

Going to take my oldest son and go the MLS Cup. I want to sit with Quakes fans. I may have waited too long to get them through Club Quake. Any ideas?

Back to the game. Great crowd. Made a huge difference. Both this weeks and last week were just like the crowds for the old NASL Quakes. Always positive. Intense. Committed to seeing the Quakes win.

Kanas City played very well. You couldn't ask for a better game from both teams. The Quakes midfield had a huge game (Ekelund, Mulronney, and Mullan).

Thank you Quakes.

21. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to start blaming the ref or get too much into it. But, yes he did suck. He failed to gain control early in the match. Then he had to make up for it by carding anyone who questioned him cuz he was such crap.

In any case, what is most important is that the guys got over his crappiness and just played. Yeah, they had their moments. But I've seen many times in the past where that kind of ref would have done this team in. Instead, the fought back against that ref by winning that game despite him. I was very proud of Landon, in particular, for this.

22. quakes_fan21

quakes_fan21 New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    What a game...I'll have no voice for the second Monday in a row...absolutely worth it!!! To everyone who was there (all 16,000+) YOU ROCK!!! The crowd was great and the game was awesome...I'm so exhausted right now cause I had to go celebrate after such a great game...woo-hoo!! I'm so proud of our quakes and can't wait till next Sunday at the HDC...see everyone there and wear BLUE!!!!!

23. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Thanks for the complement but the world's finest match officials work in MLS. The top professional league of the USA. I am amazed at how quickly they climbed to that status. I've learned a great deal from them in recent years."
    Pierluigi Collina

24. quakes_fan21

quakes_fan21 New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    Let me just say how happy I am that it was Manny who got that first goal! I don't know if anyone else noticed when Ian was ready to come into the game I think Manny knew he had to do something to stay in there for a few more minutes...and he sure did!!! Lagos is one of my favorite players and I know he's not as good as he used to be so it's great to see him do well!!
    QuakeAttack i agree about KC, it was a great match and very close! Our midfield was awesome tonight, I'm glad all their hard work paid off and Landon always comes through when it counts...
    QUAKES ROCK!!!!!!!

25. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What everyone else said.

The big problem with the ref was that he allowed a lot of chippy play, which meant all the uncalled hard tackles, fouls, and offsides. The lads have to get credit for not being fazed (though there were a few scrums here and there) and just battling back to get the tying and eventual winning goals.

Landon Donovan has sealed his status as Quakes legend with the goal. Right now, no one can dispute his stature as superstar or gamer. Of course, MLS Cup is going to be ultimate test of mettle, though he did get one behind the net in the 2001 title game.

It was a hard fought game on both sides, and may the best team win next weekend. It will NOT be easy against Chicago with Beasley, Armas, Ralph, and Thornton and the regular season series show--2 major spankings at Spartan. However, that's out the window and the Quakes have that resiliency that keeps them in the game. The Fire had a better regular season record and they will be determined to get the Treble, or Quad if you want to count their Eastern Conference title.

Si Se Puede!