San Jose - Kansas City postgame Bay Area newspaper articles (Sunday, 11/16/03) [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    After the match, Mullan was asked if the Quakes would spot the Fire a lead in next week's final for excitement's sake.

``Let's hope not,'' he said. ``Enough with the theatrics.''

Best Quote. :D

if i could talk, i'd be laughing right now...but as it is it hurts to think of doing either!

3. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    interesting to note that ekelund says the quakes have decided not to exercise his option for next season! so this may have been ronnie's last year as a quake! :(

let's hope if he doesn't return as a player we keep him on as part of the coaching staff, especially if Franki leaves and Dom (deservingly) gets the nod to continue with the Quakes....

GO QUAKES!!!

4. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Awww, man that sucks he may leave!

I think the next wonderful thing to happen after we WIN the cup is if our team were to stay more or less the same it is now. I've gotten so attached to some of these guys!!

5. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hehe. I was gonna quote that too!

Yes, please, no more of this. Play a good hard game. But no more of this. I don't think I can take it!!! :)

6. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I noticed that too. That was kind of sad, but I thought it might be coming.

Looking towards next year a little, but with Ching, DeRo, Jamil, Landon and Rodrigo, and now with Ekelund probably not coming back, could be when Donovan moves back permanently to attacking midfielder.

7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Front page on the Merc! With a huge photo. Is that a first? I don't remember ever seeing them run a front page story on the Quakes before.

8. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to turn this into a huge debate, but once again Ann Killion has a way of wrapping up her article:

"In the past week, the Earthquakes have proved their point. They're on the path to another title. Along the way, they might have finally found a passionate, loyal fan base."

She really needs to learn to "know her subject." We might have found a passionate, loyal fan base.

COME ONE ANN!! Where were you when I was getting food thrown at me for cheering on a team that quite frankly sucked? That passionate, loyal fan base has always existed. You just weren't one of them. Yes, that passionate, loyal fan base may be growing, but please open your eyes! It was always there.

Please don't take this post as a complaint to start arguing about coverage. We've already done that. It's just that Ann Killion really gets under my nerves. And that's just my opinion.

9. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003

You are a warm and charming human being even if you harass the visiting teams.

Did you ever consider taking your "Ann Killion frustrations" out on the joker who tried breaking into your car?

10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    At least the reporters actually appeared to have attended the game. They didn't just rewrite their articles from newswire feed.

11. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Woo!! Front page again on Chronicle and Daily Review. And the Chronicle's is above the fold again. That's the kind of coverage I'm talking about!

12. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    at least Killion admitted that she was wrong in the article....

the real barometer will be in June of next year, when the Quakes are playing with two stars over their crest, then will they be back to a paragraph a week?

13. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    A lot of times this is just about salary issues. The Quakes are choosing not to extend his current contract at his current salary. This is the same thing DC did with Etcheverry a year or two back. Ronnie will likely stay on if he wants to, but the Quakes will have to address the salary cap. (Plus expansion could be a factor).

14. Hayduke

Hayduke Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Pleasanton, CA
    Did anyone notice the letters to the sports page editor in the Merc? There's a letter complaining about how expensive and boring NHL hockey is. Right below it is a letter about the 5-2 LA match.

I wonder if the editor made a conscious decision to arrange those letters like that.

15. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    LOL, does this mean Jim Rome will be next? LMFAO @ Landon Donovan on the Jim Rome Show.

16. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    By the way, in that cover photo, is that really Faria chasing Donovan as they say in the caption? It looks more like Corrales to me, but I could be totally wrong.

17. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    OK, scratch that. I see that Corrales didn't play so it's not very likely that it could be him. Duh!

18. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose Earthquakes vs. Kansas City Wizards | November 15, 2003

19. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+