San Jose Exp Draft (Who do we protect?)

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by firefan20, Aug 27, 2007.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean "go with a USL player" or "go with Pat Onstad?"

Because they're not the same thing. I think San Jose went with Pat Onstad more because he was Pat Onstad.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for Carr instead of Guerrero (why escapes me), you nailed it. Well done.

3. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My guess, Guerrero is paid a lot more than Carr. If the Fire lose Guerrero then they will have another large chunk of change to spend on a right midfielder and can move Mapp to his natural position on the left.

Guerrero is a fine player and I hope San Jose takes like Busch or Curtin but, if he goes, it won't be so bad.

4. snowblind

snowblind Member

Mar 31, 2002
    n side chicago
    I'm surprised most at Guerrero being on the unprotected list...and a little bit to see Diego's name there too

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Older players are going to end up on these lists, in all sports.

I agree that Guerrero is a terrific player. I hope his most recent injury doesn't have lingering negative effects on his career. I wonder if his speed would be minimized on a small field in San Jose (is Buck Shaw a small field?) and if he'd be out of the league by the time their new building is ready.

6. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I guess this means that Mapp will be walking the left side of midfield next season....

7. chitown

chitown New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Chicago
    Oh I don't know about this...

I would have protected Ivan at all costs. Seriously I fear seeing Ivan in a different uniform. Blanco was really effective when he has Ivan running the flanks for him as if you go back and watch games he used Ivan as his legs. He had nasty injury but give him the off season to heal and I think he would be back to his old self.

I'm sorry but Chad over Ivan is WRONG and I hope they do not pick him up.

I hope the only only reason we are protecting Chad is so we can use him as trade bait. I just can not stomach watching him again next year as his whining and complaining and general piss poor attitude make me ill.

That being said if they were dead set on keeping Chad they could has exposed Calen instead, that is not a knock on Calen as he is a nice guy and more importantly works hard when he is out on the field but if you were having a game and had to draw up sides who would you go with Calen or Ivan? I'm taking Ivan.

When SJ looks at the list of unprotected players on our end...

It is apparent they will not take Diego due to age and cost and the same applies to Big Jim although maybe he is the long shot.

With Onstad unprotected I'm sure SJ will nab him to bring him home as their GK. Heck I would not be surprised if this was not already arranged so Busch and Noble appear to be safe.

That leaves Jordan Russolillo, Mike Banner, Osei Telesford, Daniel Woolard, Ivan Guerrero, Brian Plotkin, John Thorrington, Bruno Menezes and Floyd Franks.

Plotkin, Menezes and Russolillo could be the steals here but I doubt in as the others do not really rate or have a long troubled history of injury (in the case of Thorrington).

I'm sorry to say it but Ivan appears to be gone as far as my guess goes and I'm bummed about that.

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which old self was that? The So-So self of earlier this season before he went to play with the Hondo NT? The So-So to mediocre season of 2006 or his great 2005 season.

As much as I love the way Ivan has played for us, I think he's slowly becoming less of an effective player

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts on who stands the biggest chance of being picked (1=most, 6=least). The rest aren't likely to go anywhere. And I just realized that both Hartman and Onstad are not protected, so Busch is NOT likely to go.

Busch, Jon(2)
    Banner, Michael
    Curtin, Jeff
    Curtin, Jim(6)
    Franks, Floyd
    Guerrero, Ivan(1)
    Gutierrez, Diego(5)
    Marques, Bruno
    Noble, Nick
    Plotkin, Brian(3)
    Russolillo, Jordan
    Telesford, Osei
    Thorrington, John(4)
    Woolard, Daniel

10. moddyg

moddyg New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Clinton IL
    Uhh Kenn, Onstad was a USL player.....what's your point?

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, thought it was obvious. I'll rephrase.

I don't think San Jose picked Onstad because he was a USL player. I think they picked him because he was Pat Onstad (and Canadian, and Frank Yallop likely knew him). Someone said they might go "in the same direction," which I took to mean "taking a USL player over someone who might have MLS experience."

Onstad was a USL player, but a very experienced one. He wasn't some 23 year old out of college. I would imagine that "going the same direction" could mean "taking Pat Onstad again, seeing as how he's unprotected" or "going with a kind of unknown keeper instead of someone everyone knows about." That's why I asked.

12. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    I think it's pretty clear we're going to lose one player in this draft and that will be Ivan.

I'd actually put the ranking a little differently if I were picking:
    Guerrero, Ivan(1)
    Thorrington, John(2)
    Plotkin, Brian(3)
    Busch, Jon(4)
    Curtin, Jim(5)
    Gutierrez, Diego(6)

Banner, Michael
    Curtin, Jeff
    Franks, Floyd
    Marques, Bruno
    Noble, Nick
    Russolillo, Jordan
    Telesford, Osei
    Woolard, Daniel

13. ChedarDog

ChedarDog Member

Apr 17, 2006
    IA corn fields
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My highly un-educated prediction of their picks

based on the list of folks unprotected at

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20071120&content_id=130425&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

The percentage of unprotected player names that I've never heard of is high, so I'm probably way Fire biased

Player Team POS DOB Status MLS Exp
    Busch, Jon Chicago Fire GK 8/18/1976 5
    Petke, Mike Colorado Rapids D 1/30/1976 9
    Telesford, Osei Chicago Fire D 11/30/1983 SYI 0
    Vanney, Greg D.C. United D 6/11/1974 8
    Grabavoy, Ned Columbus Crew M 7/1/1983 3
    Gros, Joshua D.C. United M-D 6/25/1982 3
    Guerrero, Ivan Chicago Fire M-D 11/30/1977 2
    Mathis, Clint LA Galaxy M-F 11/25/1976 8
    Dyachenko, Rod D.C. United F 9/22/1983 DEV 1
    Virtuoso, Ricardo Columbus Crew F 3/1/1984 SYI 1

There are bigger names available gk, but based on age and probable salary cap hit, I think Busch has the better upside.

Or if the Quakes are looking to save money on uniforms, they could go with the "all in the family" roster :D

Player Team POS DOB Status MLS Exp
    Curtin, Jeff Chicago Fire D 6/23/1979 6
    Curtin, Jim Chicago Fire D 7/4/1983 DEV 0
    Brown, Chris Real Salt Lake M-F 3/10/1977 8
    Brown, Kyle Real Salt Lake F 8/10/1983 DEV 1
    Carroll, Brian D.C. United M 7/20/1981 3
    Carroll, Jeff D.C. United M-D 1/8/1984 DEV 1
    Gbandi, Chris FC Dallas D 4/7/1979 4
    Gbandi, Sandy FC Dallas M 7/12/1983 DEV 0
    Wondolowski, Chris Houston Dynamo D 8/13/1985 0
    Wondolowski, SteveHouston Dynamo F 7/28/1983 DEV 2

14. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    You do realize they can only select at most one player from each team, right?

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all fairness, he did say "highly un-educated." :)

16. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    No, all this means is that Mapp has more trade/sale value than Guerrero does.

17. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They could select a bunch of ex-Fire players. Thornton, Grey, Stewart, Williams, Perez, just to name a few. Oh yeah, Leonard Griffin, too.

18. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  19. firefan20

firefan20 Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Illinois
    NEW YORK -- Major League Soccer held its 2007 Expansion Draft on today for the League's 14th team, the San Jose Earthquakes, with the team selecting 10 players to begin constructing its roster for the 2008 season. The Earthquakes selected one player each from 10 of the 13 MLS teams. The Colorado Rapids, Kansas City Wizards and Real Salt Lake were the three teams that did not have a player selected in the draft. Each of the 13 teams was allowed to protect 11 players, leaving all others unprotected and available for selection by the Earthquakes.
    Below is the complete list of players selected in the 2007 MLS Expansion Draft.

1. Ryan Cochrane (Houston Dynamo)
    2. Clarence Goodson (FC Dallas)
    3. Ned Grabavoy (Columbus Crew)
    4. James Riley (New England Revolution)
    5. Joseph Vide (New York Red Bulls)
    6. Ivan Guerrero (Chicago Fire)
    7. Brian Carroll (D.C. United)
    8. Jason Hernandez (Chivas USA)
    9. Gavin Glinton (LA Galaxy)
    10. Chris Pozniak (Toronto FC)

The San Jose Earthquakes, Major League Soccer's 14th team, will begin play in the Western Conference in the 2008 season at Buck Shaw Stadium on the campus of Santa Clara University.

20. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Well that sucks.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stranger things have happened than a guy being selected in an expansion draft and returning to the team from whence he came. I don't know if that's a possibility here, only that it's 100% certain the Fire won't have Guerrero next year.

22. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

+1

Crap.

23. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]This doesn't just suck, Butthead, this REALLY REALLY SUCKS!

24. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if San Jose checked out this thread and made thier decision based on our rankings...:rolleyes:

If so, we should of talked up Bruno more...:eek:

25. TinManJoshua

TinManJoshua Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had to have been our board, on their board almost all their fans wanted Big Jim, and nobody thought twice about Guerrero.