Pre-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Vancouver Whitecaps FC (Sunday, 9/4) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Discuss.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is scheduled to be televised live on both NBC Sports California and NBC Sports California HD at 6:30pm PDT.

• AT&T U-verse
      • NBCS CA: Channel 767
      • NBCS CA HD: Channel 1767
    • Comcast (Bay Area)
      • NBCS CA: Channel 41
      • NBCS CA HD: Channel 721
    • Comcast (Sacramento area)
      • NBCS CA: Channel 34
      • NBCS CA HD: Channel 721
    • DirecTV
      • NBCS CA: Channel 698
      • NBCS CA HD: Channel 698
    • DISH Network
      • NBCS CA: Channel 438
      • NBCS CA HD: Channel 438

I hope that helped. :)

-G

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game will also be broadcast on the radio live on both KNBR 1050 AM (English) and KZSF 1370 AM (Spanish).

-G

4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As my wife continues the journey of convincing me to get season tickets next year, this will be our first game in almost three which we will be attending. Should be fun?

Goodsport repped this.
  5. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I was optimistic about the SKC game and we lost.

Not sure how to read this match, i guess we might win?

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I'll predict a win here. Even thought they are higher in the standings than us their current form is bad. One of their best players just got sent out for literally walking on someones head. That gives just enough insight into the frustration levels this club is going through right now.

No chance we lose to them on Sunday.

7. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got embarrassed and exposed by SKC who was below us, who were without Pulido and Melia 2 of their best players.

Vancouver lost to a very good Nashville team, Cavalini didn't even start the game, they've been rotating their roster quite a bit to keep guys fresh. Vancouver has a good chance of kicking our asses. If they play a high press like they have been, it will expose our slow janky ass team.

If they win and Portland loses, they will be in the playoff picture. We will further slide the pipe pole down our throat from every team.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  8. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I'll admit you make some good points. We do have a slow janky ass team - especially our defense. Whenever I think about our defense I lose all my confidence.

However I'll stick with my prediction that we'll get at least a point out of this one.

9. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 point isn't a win, but a point on the road is a win for us. In 1999 all we ever did was win the shoot out and got 1 point... so that remains status quo for us.

10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cavalini is not the Whitecraps best player. They’re fine without him. They are at home, and we suck. I’m thinking two to nil for Vancouver.

Go Quakesfans!!

11. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The game is in San Jose.

Goodsport, markmcf8, Scott Rohde and 2 others repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  13. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Cavallini is definitely one of their best players and they will miss him. Also, game is played in San Jose.

We do suck.

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won't miss him that much, they do just fine without him. They still have Galud, Gressel and Raposo.

They also have a highly motivated disciplined coach who owns up to his bull shit.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/sart...st-apologize-to-our-fans-after-nashville-loss

We will struggle against this team. They will be very dangerous, coming off the big loss, this team will look to rebound and use us as the perennial whipping boy.

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    He shredded the Quakes in Vancouver. He was too much for SJ to defend.

markmcf8, Beerking and Scott Rohde repped this.
  16. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    But Vancouver is not doing just fine. In their last 10 games they've done about as well as we have - which can't be described as 'just fine'.

17. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    True, he got a goal and an assist in our last match. He's also their leading goal scorer overall.

Not only will he be absent from this game but he's absent because he purposefully stepped on someones head. Call me crazy, but to me that indicates not all his happy in Vancouver.

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mistake. Thanks for the correction. I still think they beat us two to zip. Because we suck, and they will have watched our game against SKC.

19. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
  20. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was really crappy of Lucas and I hope he gets a multiple game suspension.

21. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While your correct about their last 10 games being on par with us, if we base it off trajectory they will beat us, however being on the road, their road record isn't the greatest neither is ours. But the season isn't measured by 10 previous games, its the stretch, they won early on, which has them in position to contend for a playoff spot, we aren't even in that fathomable discussion. 1 win, and they're above that preverbal red line.

They're scoring a slightly better goals per game than us, we actually have the 2nd lowest in our conference right above Houston, who's the only team below us now in the standings.

But since you want to discuss the last 10 games, We lost to Houston which is the only team below us, while Vancouver beat them. At the point we lost to Kansas City, we were above them in the standings, which we are now below them due to that loss against them over the weekend, and they've been on an upward trend, if the put some more wins together, they could end up fighting for that last playoff spot depending how the other teams playout, as anyone should know who has a half brain for this league, knows Kansas City is far better than their record says. If they didn't start the season without some key players like Pulido, Melia, Salloi, Russell, Espinoza and Kinda, they would be a lot better positioned right now then it says.

Vancouver is beating the teams they should, and losing to the one's you'd expect, with us, we LOST to Houston and based off standings as people point out, we should have whooped KC's ass and lost bad to LAFC. But we are so scatter-dicked we lose games we should win, win games we shouldn't and tie everything else.

I personally think the game will go a few different ways, super boring, super sloppy, someone wins (Us or Them) on some bull shit goal or call, We tie 2-2, We get stomped out, or we stomp them out.

SJ 2-5-3 (13th)
    Tie vs Toronto (10th)
    Win vs Galaxy (7th)
    Loss vs Dynamo (14th)
    Loss vs Timbers (8th)

Tie vs RSL (6th)
    Loss vs Miami (6th)
    Tie vs Austin (2nd)
    Loss vs Dallas (4th)
    Win vs LAFC (1st)
    Loss vs SKC (12th)

Vancouver 2-4-4 (9th)
    Loss vs Minesota (3rd)
    Tie vs Cincinnati (8th)
    Tie vs Timbers (8th)
    Loss vs Chicago (13th)
    Tie vs Nashville (5th)
    Win vs Houston (14th)
    Loss vs Galaxy (7th)
    Win vs Colorado (11th)
    Tie vs RSL (6th)
    Loss vs Nashville (5th)

Beerking repped this.
  22. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're playing at home to a pretty equal time (closer than normal). Certainly the odds favor us.

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. In the game thread titles, I generally list the home team first. :)

-G

24. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    You're really going out on a limb with that prediction.

markmcf8 repped this.
  25. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Right. The oddsmakers are a lot smarter than the typical BS poster who insists on handicapping games based on who’s a “good team” and who isn’t. Oddsmakers will almost always favor the home team as the road team win rate in MLS is usually around 20-25%. Besides there’s very little difference between MLS teams anyway, even top vs. bottom teams. If LAFC played SKC next week in SKC I would certainly favor SKC.