Pre-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Vancouver Whitecaps FC (Saturday, 3/9) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 24, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Discuss.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is scheduled to be broadcast live on MLS Season Pass at 7:30pm PST, with the pregame show beginning at 6:30pm PST.

• Apple TV
      • MLS Season Pass

-G

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game will also be broadcast on the radio live on both KGO 810 AM (English) and KZSF 1370 AM (Spanish).

-G

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will the Earthquakes have the same starting lineup as in the last game? :confused:

-G

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I watched the entire Vancouver match yesterday and this is a very winnable game. In fact, if we don't win it easily it would be a disgraceful, disgusting result.

markmcf8 and Goodsport repped this.
  7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Wilcox was good when I played for Monta Vista ('76-'79)

QuakeAttack and Goodsport repped this.
  9. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Wilcox what though? Volleyball? Soccer? Field hockey? I think they are including all different types of HS championship teams but not sure.

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Used to hide my ripped jeans from my mom to ensure she didn't throw them out. :)

11. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So what do we do in this game? Rinse and repeat to start Skahan, Beason and Jebo?

Play both Gruezo and Morales behind Yueill as an attempt to stop the bleeding?

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would start Wilson for Beason, Judd for Jebo, and Benji for Pellegrino. Not sure how to fix the midfield, but I would find a way to keep Gruezo on the bench.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you still wear it occasionally (just curious)? :)

-G

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

-G

don gagliardi repped this.
  15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Haha. I'm too old to break-in a new pair of jeans. And I refuse to buy them pre-ripped. Takes all the fun out of it. :)

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Somebody in the moat needs to hand a Whitecaps player a beer to swig when they line up for a corner kick, just for old times sakes. :)

DotMPP, markmcf8 and Goodsport repped this.
  17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But like the first time, wouldn’t that immediately lead to a Vancouver goal? :eek:

-G

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's a risk we should take. :)

Goodsport repped this.
  19. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d start Wilson in place of Beason, Morales for Gruezo, Judd for Jebo, and maybe Benji for Amahl.

So at least three changes, maybe four. I like Skahan. I think he’ll do better with a more aggressive more direct forward in front of him. Also, he’ll be better with a #6 behind him who isn’t a ghost.

Go Quakesfans!!

20. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only watched the highlights. I sure hope you’re right and that we get on track. Or first two games have been poor. A third one will really suck.

Go Quakesfans!!

21. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    My biggest gripe with Luchi is his player management. Jebo has been utter trash if we're being honest and that's going back to most of last season yet, in Luchi's mind, he is an unquestioned starter. On the other end of the spectrum, you have a guy like Kikanovic, who had as poor of a season last year, have a pretty solid/good first game of the season yet gets benched the next game. How is that supposed to motivate players!?

He needs to send a message to Jebo and bench him since you have Judd or Kikanovic who can play up front. Kikanovic should have started last game while you slowly integrate Pellegrino into the team who has only been with them for a couple of weeks and let him get used to the team and the style.

I know it has only been one season, but Luchi hasn't given me any sense of a quality coach that is able to adapt, motivate, and play to the strengths of his players. I hope I'm proven wrong but I am not confident at all...

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People, people...We have bigger problems than taking Jebo and Beason out (which I agree by the way - I would prefer Benji up top and Wilson in for Beason for this game). Still, we have a dead patch in the middle with Gruezo, Yuell, and Jack. How do we solve that? My guess no one is mentioning that problem as there is no solution at the moment.

If I'm Vancouver, I would sit back and counterattack. If they score, start pressing the Quakes as they will feel the pressure. Our team is not mentally strong at this moment.

Beerking, markmcf8 and nivla repped this.
  24. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #24 chris thebassplayer, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    My thoughts exactly on the Jebo situation...how can you be that disconnected in the attack for so long and not get pulled for a game or two. Luchi doesn't strike me as a coach with a lot of Presence... conflict averse....not enough of a strong personality to set guys straight when he needs to...honestly it's more kid brother vibe....so imo, even after a season, the jury is still out if he can truly man manage the players in the locker room. Not confronting or dealing with sustained poor performance is a red flag giveaway.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  25. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #25 JazzyJ, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    I appreciate Jebo's contribution to the buildup and his work rate more than most here, and it's not all his fault that our offense has no flow, but just to note: he has 0 shots so far this year. That's not SOG, that's shots.

For now I'd continue to give him a chance to start (~30 goals in the last couple of seasons - nothing to sneeze at - we can't throw that out with a 2-game sample this year), and have him go hard for 60-70 minutes but give Judd regular minutes as his sub and we'll see how things land. Game state as a starter vs. a sub is not apples to apples though so we need to be careful about coming to grand conclusions. Yeah, Judd got more involved when he came in but we were in desperation mode pushing a lot of numbers forward. There were just a lot more chances to be had. Judd finished the ball that fell to him but I also saw him take a kind ridiculous "gunner" shot that had no chance whatsoever. That registers as a shot but it doesn't help us.