Pre-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Seattle Sounders FC (Wednesday, 9/29) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Sep 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San José breaking this season's draw to regain the Heritage Cup after five years without it?

Seattle holding off the hosts to retain the Heritage Cup for a sixth consecutive season?

The Earthquakes channeling José Clash, Rikter the CyberDog and Q? Sounders FC siphoning Sammy Sounder, Civ and Drew Carey?

Discuss.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is scheduled to be televised live on both NBC Sports Bay Area Plus and NBC Sports Bay Area Plus HD (NBC Sports Plus and NBC Sports Plus HD on Comcast) at 7:30pm PDT.

• AT&T U-verse
      • NBCS BA Plus: Channel 771
      • NBCS BA Plus HD: Channel 1771
    • Comcast (both Bay Area and Sacramento area)
      • NBCS Plus: Channel 105
      • NBCS Plus HD: Channel 819
    • DirecTV
      • NBCS BA Plus: Channel 696-1
      • NBCS BA Plus HD: Channel 696-1
    • DISH Network
      • NBCS BA Plus: Channel 440-480*
      • NBCS BA Plus HD: Channel 9500-9599*

I hope that helped. :)

-G

* As of this posting, the exact channel has yet to be stated.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game will also be broadcast on the radio live on both KNBR 1050 AM (English) and KZSF 1370 AM (Spanish).

-G

4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    upload_2021-9-22_12-33-47.png

Our record when Chapman is blowing the whistle is 7-4-4.

Goodsport repped this.
  5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Nathan's hurt shoulder won't keep him out of this game. :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

6. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Goodsport, I wanted to ask you about something that we talked about in the LAFC prematch thread, which of course is now locked. I downloaded the NBC Sports app (which as I mentioned previously, I had used in the past but deleted when the Xfinity stream app sort of made it unnecessary for us). I tried to use it on an iPad last night to access the Passarelli/Dangerfield audio while watching the Telemundo video on tv (alas, the Telemundo movie shown in our Comcast menu was pre-empted by Quakes soccer... haha). I signed in on the app as an Xfinity customer, and that worked fine. So far so good. Then I tried both the "NBC Sports BA" and "Telemundo" options for viewing, and had no success finding the Quakes game. The NBC BA "Live" menu only included what was currently airing on that channel (not the Quakes); and the Telemundo option wouldn't even list any live tv (only upcoming broadcasts). So, I gave up. Did it work for you, and if so, any tips or suggestions?

Also, for what it's worth, the NBCSBA website's description of how to stream live sports on the NBC Sports app specifically lists all of the teams (Giants, A's, Warriors, Kings, Sharks) whose games can be streamed. There is NO mention of the Quakes anywhere on the page (and it's also notable that the Quakes are not included among the teams to follow on the "My Teams" app).

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi S.J. Jim. :)

Unlike last year's Telemundo (or more accurately, KSTS, as they were not national Telemundo) Earthquakes broadcasts which worked perfectly for me on the NBC Sports app with Passarelli/Dangerfield English audio SAP, for some reason it didn't work for me yesterday either. :( In fact, yesterday's game ended up never appearing on the app for me at all, even though the app was mentioned more than once during the early part of the game. :eek:

I was able to watch the game on KSTS/Telemundo, but for some reason the Primary/Secondary Audio switch wasn't changing the audio to English, so I had to watch the whole game in Spanish. :( I do feel even more sorry for those outside the Bay Area who are out of KSTS's range, though, as using the NBC Sports app would've been their only way (legally and safely, at least) to watch the game. :(

My suggestion at this point is to contact the front office and implore them to get this corrected. Granted, there's only one more KSTS/Telemundo game scheduled this season, but why didn't it work yesterday when it worked perfectly last season?

I too noticed that the "My Teams" app doesn't include the Earthquakes (even though its previous iteration from a few years back actually did). I sent an email to them complaining about that several times, only to receive a reponse each time that my complaint was being passed along to the appropriate department, and then... nothing. :(

That's what made this recent find that much more interesting yet poignant.

I hope that helped.

-G

8. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks GS. I can't say I'm shocked (or even surprised) by anything in your reply. We're in a society where everything is constantly changing, and sometimes just for the sake of doing something "new", and where common sense and concern for customer satisfaction aren't at the level where they ought to be. I could go on a rant here, but it would probably get too long and might not even be coherent. ;) Oh well, these are first world problems, and I guess we should just try to be thankful for what we have. I don't find it so bad watching a game broadcast in Spanish. Even though I don't speak the language and struggle to understand a lot of it when listening, I'm used to it, having watched soccer since back in the 1970's when sometimes it was Univision on UHF, or nothing! When it was a World Cup, that was a no-brainer!

I appreciate all of the efforts you make here, which are almost always very helpful, and which none of us should take for granted.

Earthshaker and Goodsport repped this.
  9. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One other app option for Telemundo is the "NBC" app, not to be confused with the NBC Sports app. This app offers live streaming (with TV provider authentication) of a range of NBC Universal channels, including your local NBC and Telemundo affiliates. So the next game on KSTS should be available there, for people in the Bay Area in the range of KSTS. No idea if you can get an alternate audio feed.

However, the NBC app does not have the NBCSBA/NBCSCA channels, so isn't useful for this thread's game.

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, S.J. Jim! I'm glad that I could help. :)

-G

11. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    For those who have YouTube TV, it does include Telemundo but the game didn't automatically record for me. I had to go directly to the channel to watch the game. I could only watch it in Spanish (both audio channels were the same Spanish). I actually didn't really mind watching the game in Spanish even though my Spanish skills have nearly vanished.

Now that YouTube TV has NBC, Fox, ESPN, Telemundo, and Unimas they cover every Quakes game. I just hope Telemundo can update their guide info so I can record the game automatically.

Goodsport and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Flounders lick themselves like cats.

At least, that’s what I heard.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

porkrind repped this.
  13. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    #13 Beerking, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    We lose or draw this one, it has a foul smell to it. :(

Shittle's backline of Smith, Nouhou and Yeimar are formidable. :eek:

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    And Frei is tough too. Don’t know who they were missing in May when they played here but they were really lucky to win 1-0. 1.5 to 1.0 xG (us to them). And that was during our “pre-Nathal” period.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shittle are still one of the top teams in the league and we’re still below the playoff line. I expect us to lose. That foul smell that @Beerking detects is rotting fish at Pike’s Place.

F@#$ Seattle!!

- Mark

Beerking repped this.
  16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nathan and Espinoza were cautioned on Saturday. I am pretty positive Espinoza will miss Wednesday's game due to yellow card accumulation, but am not sure about Nathan, given that he recently served a suspension. I hope we see Jebo as a late sub, but can't say if he'll be on the 18 or not.

17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Correction to the above - Espinoza will serve a suspension for the match, Nathan will not.

In related news:

NOT EXPECTED TO PLAY:
    San Jose: Shea Salinas (injured), Jeremy Ebobisse (injured), Siad Haji (injured).
    Seattle: Jordy Delem (injured), Jordan Morris (injured).

All in all - I don't think either team has a real advantage there. While I'd like to be optimistic, the realist in me comprehends that the last time the Quakes won two in a row at home was May 1:

upload_2021-9-27_9-14-52.png

I truly hope we turned a corner on Saturday, we still have a rather dismal record at home.

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Wonder if that injury report is a little stale. Shea played in the last game. Or did he have a little setback? If Espinoza is out would rather see Salinas in there than Fierro.

Beerking, davez and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Beerking repped this.
  20. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Don't believe Shea will be effective for the entire 90 so we will see both Fierro and Shea during the game. Personally, I prefer to see Shea come in as a sub early in the second half.

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well there's also Cade. If we play the 4-3-3, it could be Shea-Benji-Chofis or Cade-Benji-Chofis or Fierro-Benji-Chofis. Or replace Benji with Jebo if he's ready (I'm guessing not).

My least preferred option would be Fierro-Benji-Chofis. Fierro anywhere is pretty meh, but Fierro as a forward is just....blech. I think Cade could use a start where he's able to work his way into the game and not come in as a sub thinking he has to rake on every one of his few possessions. Plus I think "outside forward" is the perfect spot for Cade.

22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those of us born in the Emerald City know it as Pike Place Market.;)

DotMPP repped this.
  23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    . . . “Sometime in the last hundred years, out-of-town yokels began pronouncing it ‘Pike’s,’ with an apostrophe and an s, for no explicable reason,” says University of Washington Professor and all-around Seattle-expert William Butherly. “The market held the line on this for so long, but it’s not surprising to see them buckle now.”

Along with the name change, the Market is also debuting its new mascot, Pikey, a six-foot tall representation of a freshwater fish, sometimes capable of eating waterfowl and small mammals, and considered an invasive species in Washington . . . .

https://theneedling.com/2020/04/01/...arket-officially-changes-name-to-pikes-place/

Satire. (Sorry, Goodsie. No mascot.) :)

markmcf8 and Earthshaker repped this.
  24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, whatever. The whole city smells. Pass.

Beerking repped this.
  25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :cry:

Speaking of mascots: while I still don't know the in-story reason for Q's absence this season (perhaps the pandemic forced him to return to living in a nearby fault line and news hasn't reached him yet that it's now relatively safe to return to games), I heard that the real-life reason for his absence is that the person wearing the Q costume moved away and that the FO still hasn't been able to replace him yet. :(

-G