Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake (Saturday, 7/30) post-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jul 31, 2022.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    We have actually played more direct recently, playing balls thru to Espinoza, Cade, and Benji, with some success, but it varies game to game depending on opponent and how they set up their defense.

Earthshaker repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Cade blows by defenders with regularity. What happens next tends to be forgettable.

6A49D2E3-A01D-43FF-9D19-54FE20056167.jpeg

Photo by Nap Badillo.

3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Generally, he’s been good for one such run (ending in futility) per game. After that the opponent is prepared. Not.Good.Enough.

4. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Even Cade doesn't seem that fast these days.

mjlee22 repped this.
  5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #105 JazzyJ, Aug 3, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    Funny how when we lose (or have a “bad tie”) we get slower, and probably less good looking too. Imagine how much faster and more good-looking we’d be if that last RSL shot had gone wide :)

With Cade it’s not just the speed but also the strength. He’s able to play thru challenges sometimes with his strength. But yes the final ball has been the problem recently, but it’ll get better. He needs a goal. Maybe tonight?

TyffaneeSue and don gagliardi repped this.
  6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    BTW Cade and Benji have apparently raced, according to Benji. Benji was coy with who won but his body language seemed to suggest it was him. He’s got a heck of a 5th gear and his stride is smoother than Cade’s, but I have not seen it lately. I wonder if he’s just not used to the minutes he’s getting.

7. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benji turned on the gas on one play last night (v Inter Miami) that was remarkable. I have never seen him move so fast! Nice to know he has the capability, when needed. Now we just need to set the pace a bit faster overall.

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would still put my money on Cade. If Benji is the fastest player on the team he should show it more. Otherwise, he is just a taller, longer-legged Fierro.

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I haven’t seen it recently for some reason but I’ve seen him turn on the jets something fierce. I don’t know if he’s not 100% or not used to the minutes he’s getting or focusing more energy on defense, etc. Also he needs a longer run-up to get into gear and I assume they raced probably a 40 or something. Cade can get going in shorter distances. Benji had a breakaway goal last year where he flew by the last defender. I’ll see if I can find that one so that you see what I mean.

10. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that he is fast, I just want to see him take advantage of the fact. :)

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    You doubted that Benji would beat Cade in a race. That's what I was responding to. In an interview Benji said they raced, and he didn't want to say it, but you could tell by his non-answer that he won. At 30s here you can see his breakaway goal and how easily he gets separation on the defenders.

But I've seen him turn on the jets more than that - on longer runs. And yes, I wish we could leverage his speed more. As I said, I'm not seeing it much recently.

Here's the interview where they asked him who is faster (at 1:00 or so).

don gagliardi repped this.
  12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I must have missed that. I haven’t noticed the “Benji jets” in a while.

13. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you look at the second view of that the defender is initially back-pedaling so its no surprise that someone with Benji's speed would blow past him. And the other defender was first defending the passer.

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I know it’s not the best example of the “Benji jets” but the best ones didn’t result in goals and are hard to find. There was a play last year where he came out of nowhere to win a ball deep in the opponent’s half on the Quakes left side. It led to a a good chance but not a goal IIRC. Or if it did it is probably too early In the play for the highlight clip. Anyone who watches the games closely and has an eye for those sorts of things would have noticed it.

15. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're preaching to the choir. I totally agree that he has some real speed. I want to see more of it! And he needs to work on some moves, ala Shea, and beat his man to the end line, and have a good cut inside move.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    True he hasn’t been effective 1v1 against defenders deep in the left side recently.

17. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last couple of games, I got the impression that Covelo subs Shea and Cade on at the same time so that Shea can play below Cade and maybe tutor him a little.

18. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If so, that's taking on the job training to a different level.o_O

19. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last season, I saw Shea would talk to Cade right before Cade subbed on. So when I saw Covelo subbing the pair together, I assumed the lessons are continuing. When you think about it, the 2 have key similar strengths = wheels and good upper body strength.

20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Shea, "good upper body strength"? :p

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He’s still the only Quakes player with a shirtless bobblehead. :)

mjlee22, SeaJayBee and JazzyJ repped this.
  22. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Unfortunately. Has anyone sewn together a little shirt for him yet?

mjlee22 repped this.
  23. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just assumed he wanted two attacking players on the field because we needed a goal(s). I doubt Shea was subbed in just to be Cade's on-field mentor.

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good idea! I don't have this bobblehead, though. Gave mine to the museum. :)

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    If Shea is Cade’s onfield mentor I guess that would explain Cade’s lack of final product recently :).

SoccerIsOurLife and Earthshaker repped this.