Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake "Round of 16" (Monday, 7/27) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Kirk33

Kirk33 Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    We are incredibly thin after Judson/Yueill though. I’m not a big fan of Flo at D-mid because I think he’s very important as a centerback. Maybe the Quakes were planning to bring in a guy that can play center mid in the summer transfer window? After so many years of having too many it feels weird to be worried about it. A backup like Darwin Ceren would be nice.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  3. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no reason to give him a PK. He earns his place and goals just like everyone else.

markmcf8 and MtnGardener repped this.
  4. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am concerned that we may need to play Minnesota. We never seemed to play well against them. Not even in some previous games we won. May be better this time without the thorn aka Ike Opera?

5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And no Quintero.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Cue the jokes...you know which ones I'm talking about.

So I guess we're hoping Minnesota loses?

davez repped this.
  7. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I'm not, bring on The Loons!

8. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Loons it is! I wonder if we can beat them this time, since Ike isn’t there.

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh 5-2 is not particularly close?

What's Yueill's contract situation? Hopefully the Quakes sell him to some mid-table Euro club for $2-4 million instead of losing him for nothing if he signs a precontract in his final year... he definitely has ambitions beyond MLS and is skilled enough that he should pursue them.

Bite your tongue

As far as midfield depth is concerned, they're probably hoping one of their dozen of so young midfielders in Reno will develop... Haji, Fuentes, Rivas, Bone, etc.

Just looked at Reno's roster for the first time... looks like Raul Mendiola is back with Las Vegas. We do have some new 24yo midfielder named Mouhamed Dabo who spent three years in Inter Milan's youth system. No Benjamin Galindo Jr listed. Looks like our third round draft pick CB Nathan Aune is with a third division expansion team after only playing twice for Reno...

10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    By the last ten minutes, we were cruising. But before that, the score reflected a close game. We scored first, but 73 seconds later, they scored to equalize. We had the momentum for most of the game, but after their second goal, the energy shifted, and for a few scary minutes I wondered if they were going to pull ahead.

Without the PKs, that's a 3-2 game, and though I think we deserved a win, it felt more like a 3-2 victory.

bsman repped this.
  11. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goals are goals. Taking PKs out is hardly fair. You could just as easily say the quick equalizer was a gimmie and not include that.

I think the subs were the big issue. RSL got theirs in first. I've said it before that being able to swap out 3-4 players at once is huge. RSL didn't give any chance for SJ to sub for a long stretch. No SJ kicks or throws and quick throw-ins by RSL. Credit to Judson who got a 14 second cramp right as a ball went out of play. Luckily, he miraculously recovered from that cramp as soon as the ref stopped the restart for the SJ subs.

As soon as the fresh legs were on the game shifted back in SJ favor.

markmcf8 and mjlee22 repped this.
  12. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Because the PK was at 90+6 minutes and the game was already over. Let Cade get some success and build on it. There was no need for Magnus to take a second one in the game.

13. Kirk33

Kirk33 Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Without Espinoza, Wondo and Vako, we lose this game 2-0! If we didn't have anyone playing goalkeeper, we would have lost 9-0.

Seems like strange logic to me. The PKs were not mistakes. They were both blatant and obvious PKs. And they were well struck by Magnus. They should count like any other goal

markmcf8 and davidjd repped this.
  14. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What I'm trying to say, obviously making a hash of it, is that it felt like a closer game than 5-2, but for 95% of the game, we were totally in control -- even though the score was even for the first half.

15. Kirk33

Kirk33 Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Haha! Gotcha. I guess I was feeling pretty confident in this one for some reason. The immediate response after our first goal was unfortunate, but I still felt good. Once we got ahead 3-1, I was very comfortable. 3-2 got my attention, then the fresh legs came on and I was pretty confident we'd close it out from there.

I also think we'll beat Minnesota haha!

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    The issue in midfield is mostly from a defensive standpoint. The Quake’s biggest weakness is clearly their centerbacks and lack of mobility against teams with counter attacking speed. Both Judson and Yuiell cover a ridiculous amount of ground in their heat maps. They are also quite good at holding possession by picking out the open man and making smart passes to relieve pressure.

Judson was not available at the start of the season and the Quakes looked very vulnerable up the middle. If either he or Yuiell are out for any reason I think the Quakes are going to really struggle because only Flo has the skill and experience to be a replacement and he should honestly be starting over Kashia on the back line.

I’ve noticed many times when Almeyda has made offensive subs he drops Magnus back into a deeper defensive position. That option will soon be gone. There is no one else I would trust defensively in front of the centerbacks. Maybe TT, but he gets caught too often in between being too close (attacker sets him up and goes around him) or too far away (attacker faces up, makes a dangerous cross or pass).

I know people will bring up Luis Filipe’s name, but I’ve yet to be impressed by him at defensive midfield (the 6). When he was at his best in Reno, he was playing right mid and attacking the goal (think Espinoza’s role). Calvillo is even weaker there. He can do a better job In Yuiell’s position but he’s smaller and much less skilled. I would possibly look at Skahan there, but he’s VERY inexperienced at this level.

xbhaskarx, QuakeAttack, markmcf8 and 2 others repped this.
  17. Kirk33

Kirk33 Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not so sure about this logic. Flo isn't starting for Kashia. Which means he's available on the bench. Which means we are ok if we lose one of Yuell/Jusdon. Just because you believe he should be starting somewhere else doesn't make him unavailable for service.

18. Two Stars Blue

Apr 17, 2005
    I was talking with my wife about that goal this morning. Most players don't score goals like that because they don't hustle like Wondo does. I was so happy to see the game where he broke the record because it showcased nearly every type of goal he scores. And, for sure, one of those goals was a garbage goal, but he only scored that because, just like with Monday night's goal, he wasn't flat footed when the opportunity presented itself. So many other players are one or two steps slow and end up wincing or holding their head, wishing they had been a little closer to the play.

I also have to say, I doubt Alexi Ball-less will ever get over his Quakes hate. He just never passes up the opportunity to make a disparaging comment about us - especially with regard to Almeida's style of play. Get over it, Alexi. You are no longer this interesting visual spectacle with long red hair and interesting facial hair. You are an analyst, or you are supposed to be. You've really turned into the laughing stock of American soccer commentators.

Beerking, markmcf8, mjlee22 and 3 others repped this.
  19. Two Stars Blue

Apr 17, 2005
    Totally agree. I am liking the role that's evolving for him. And, I didn't take a close look to see if anyone posted this in the previous post game thread, but Fiero's service on Wondo's header was beautiful. I'd love to see him round into form. WE'll see...

20. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    When you re-watch the RSL game you'll see that it was Judson that got out muscled on Kreilach's goal but he is constantly covering for our CB's that are consistently beaten for pace and playing way too aggressive despite their lack of pace which lead to them being out of position. Judson is the player I really feel for because the has to make use of all five of his lungs in order to be the defensive cover as well as the press-man all over the field. To me, he has become a vital component of the team for as long as we do not address the athleticism at CB.

markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My daughter spent a delightful half-hour or so after the game regaling me with all of the negative comments from fans of all teams and all stripes grumbling about gAlexi LALAs on twitter...

Beerking, markmcf8 and mjlee22 repped this.
  22. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The correct way to develop a player is to have him earn his success. It's for certain best for the team and absolutely best for him. Giving him a PK is equivalent to handing him a participation trophy.

davez repped this.
  23. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you are saying but.. if he missed the kick maybe it would damage his confidence. No need to put any unnecessary pressure on him. He showed well in the game, that is plenty to build on.

bsman, tectonicnight and davez repped this.
  24. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are exactly describing Rios, except that he doesn’t bother to hold his head or wince. So many times he doesn’t make the run, or he’s slow to make the run. I get so annoyed watching him play.

25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally got to watch the game.

Rios was noticeably better. Good for him. He’s not great, but he beginning to fit in much better.

Vako was better also, and he did make some good defensive plays for us.

Magnus had a very good game and could easily have been man of the match. But I won’t miss him if he goes back to Europe. (TT to Magnus’ spot, and Paul Marie in for TT.)

Espinosa had an excellent game. Hope he’s not hurt too badly.

Alanis and Kashia are not good enough, either of them.

RSL should have gotten more yellow and red cards than they did.

GOOOOO QUAKES!!

- Mark

2in10 repped this.