Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake "Round of 16" (Monday, 7/27) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I really like the yellow/white combo but I hope they update the jersey and do something better with the crescent stripe.

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    The only issue I have it not letting Cade kick the final PK. Give the kid some excitement.

3. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the replay and it was more like he was no look chipping to the ref but the ref turned before the ball was chipped and it hit the ref on the upper back. Bad timing from Beckerman but he did not argue just turned and headed off.

markmcf8 and mjlee22 repped this.
  4. Kirk33

Kirk33 Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Does a red card at the end of an elimination game have any consequence?

5. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. None of the elimination games count for the season kind of making them like exhibition games. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes are looking dangerous at both ends. It looks like there will be a lot of high scoring games in the future without better, more athletic and faster CBs.

markmcf8 and sacrxy repped this.
  7. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    I remember Ilija Mitic, during his last season, with the Quakes in 1978, drilling a dead ball at the referee after a foul was called. He was shown an immediate red and "retired" shortly after that game. As great a player as he was, he had played well past his prime and was likely more frustrated with himself than with anyone else on the pitch.

tectonicnight repped this.
  8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chinaglia said it once, you have posted it a half dozen times. :p:D

markmcf8 and QuakeAttack repped this.
  9. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "A" beer together? With someone called Beerking?
    You better get the first sip, because it is ending like this.

markmcf8, bsman and Beerking repped this.
  10. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes won the match...mic drop.

2in10, Beerking and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Making it into the round of 8 means that we're in the top 1/3 of MLS teams. That may be the best thing that happens in 2020.

markmcf8 and 2in10 repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #62 falvo, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Representing every goal he scored.

Guess I should post it only 243 times! ⚽️⚽️...

I remember when he retired. He just scored his 100th NASL goal and that’s all he really wanted. That coupled with the worst Quakes team on record so he decided to hang the boots up...

Beckerman looks younger now that he cut his dreadlocks......

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #63 falvo, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Cool game!

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...l-salt-lake-2-mls-back-tournament-match-recap

Man of the Match

Goals
    • 21' – SJ – Cristian Espinoza | WATCH
    • 22' – RSL – Douglas Martinez | WATCH
    • 49' – SJ – Magnus Eriksson (PK) | WATCH
    • 61' – SJ – Vako | WATCH
    • 75' – RSL – Damir Kreilach | WATCH
    • 86' – SJ – Chris Wondolowski | WATCH
    • 90' (+6) – SJ – Magnus Eriksson (PK) | WATCH

14. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Is that what he did!!?? Yikes, that doesn't speak well of him. o_O

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only review of yellow cards that can be done under VAR is mistaken identity. Calls covered by VAR:

Goal/no goal
    Penalty/no penalty
    Straight red
    Mistaken identity for red or yellow.

17. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My observations
    Fox's Natural Sound stream was great - should be an SAP option on broadcast.
    The fake crowd noise is insulting. (save it for baseball)
    Looking at Beckerman made me feel old. Dude needs some rest.
    Rios looked off on Vako's goal
    The grounds keeper needs a raise.
    God wants Wondo to play another year.

Douche of the post game:
    Alexi Lalas: "I love Jared Goff"
    Other taking head: "Really, what position does he play?"
    Lalas: "Uhhhhh .... "

2in10, bsman and markmcf8 repped this.
  18. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't stand the fake sound. Just let me hear the players. Baseball needs something or all you'd hear is players spitting and snoring.

Rios was close but looks to have been kept on by the far side defender's foot. Too close to overturn though.

Beckerman should be getting a nice long break after assaulting the referee.

bsman and markmcf8 repped this.
  19. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still hate the uniforms, but I loved the game :)

I don't think that game was all that close actually. We dominated them pretty well (if we had a competent center back pairing, it would look better).

Vako continues to frustrate me.

I finally saw a little more of what role Rios is supposed to play, which makes a bit more sense. I think a bigger, stronger player in that role would make more sense though.

Lima needs to stay after practice with Wondo for shooting drills.

Can't blame this team for a lack of effort, unlike some unnamed team no longer in the tournament (who's name sounds like a bird that lives in dumps, eats garbage and poops on everything).

20. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game from Vako, playing both ways. A lot of picking pockets and winning 2nd balls. It's such a difference between the "Stahre" Vako and the "Almeyda" Vako. There's something to the team unity thing... watch Vako celebrate with the coaches when Salinas scores in the Vancouver game.

Yeah, it looks like he's on the way out, but same thing with Magnus... so much better under Almeyda. He had some great passes last night (but some awful corner kicks).

It might be coming slower than people wanted, but Rios is steadily growing as a positive part of the team and I don't think he's ever been bad. He has a lot of qualities similar to Wondo. Maybe a little less instinct but a little better at holding the ball. Up to this point the goals he has scored for the Quakes remind me a lot of the kinds that Wondo scores. Sure, there's some luck in his goal against Vancouver but plenty of skill, too. The ball definitely went in the direction he was hoping for whether or not you argue it was a true shot. If Wondo had done the same thing people would be citing genius, not luck.

I love how Wondo even celebrated his goal like an old man. It's too bad the goal doesn't go towards the regular season tally.

Whether it's Columbus or Minnesota, the next test will be tougher than any other so far.

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    Vako was terrible in the first half. Offense went to him to die. He was much better in the 2nd half especially on defense tracking back, picking pockets etc. The pocket picking and passing/run leading to his goal was season highlight worthy.

davidjd repped this.
  22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The score might have been close, but the game was not. And much as I dislike Magnus, I thought he made a difference in the last part of the game, helping keep the game on track. And also...I really like Cade's energy and hope we see more of him in this tournament.

davez, SoccerMan94043 and sacrxy repped this.
  23. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes owned this game other a stupid play by Kashia and a brief period in the second half around when RSL scored their second goal. Otherwise, the Quakes controlled the game, especially in the first half (nice comment from Stu on the game being even in the first half. Huh?).

Agree with the positive comments on Rios. While a little surprised with Vako getting the MOTM, there were several who could have been given MOTM (Espinoza, Magnus).

Still not confident in the defense. Tommy created the first PK, but otherwise, Lima and him were absent. Kashia did his one bone head play of the game. Vega has two great saves and played well (no chance on either goal), but his consistency is a concern.

All in all, we have looked better than the teams that we have been playing. Good to see. Also, I think the additional subs help the Quakes more than other teams because of the pace the team plays.

24. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've seen a few games now. The thing that strikes me is our passing tempo is noticeably quicker, especially when moving it side to side...really great to watch. Hitting passes harder and quicker, unbalancing the opposing D and taking advantage of weak side space due to how fast we are moving the ball. Really good stuff.

When Vako moves the ball at the same tempo as the rest of the team he has a positive impact, when he doesn't he's a negative. For me it is as simple as that. I believe he had a goal and two assists last night...Hopefully we see more that.

We're in really solid shape with Judson and Yueill in the middle. I'm really impressed with Yueill. He seems a little quicker and sharper dealing with pressure with his back toward the defender and 50/50 situations. The RSL goon lined him up for a studs up leg breaker...luckily Yueill came out of it without serious injury. He's a key piece for us. His passing is sublime.

markmcf8 and 2in10 repped this.
  25. no pain

no pain Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Did I hear correctly by the announcers that Magnus would be returning to Sweden (I think) this summer?

DotMPP repped this.