Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Portland Timbers (Wednesday, 6/19) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jun 20, 2024.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #26 JazzyJ, Jun 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2024
    A game that was there for the taking, 1 point at the least, but a bad GK mistake early, and a bunch of blown finishes (Pellegrino - a couple, Espinoza, Costa (was that going to be offside anyway?), and Morales at the end.

No one is going to mention Paul Marie losing Rodriguez for Portland's second goal? Sure Jackson could have stopped it, but once again - a Quakes defender ball watching and we get burned for it. As I said after the Cinci game - these were the 2 things hurting us on defense - ball watching and bad GKing. As I've been saying for a while now, Paul Marie giveth and Paul Marie taketh away.

A rough outing from Jackson but I'd give him some more chances. At least he looks like he can move his body. I'm setting a really really low bar here. Biegański's now out of the picture. That leaves Jackson, 'Brough, and Emi until Daniel or JT can return. They mentioned that JT or Daniel were starting training but wasn't sure which. JT?

We had pretty good flow on offense - just couldn't finish. And we didn't cave and give away a bunch of goals at the end even while pushing for the tying goal. Baby steps? Yay?

Pellegrino, apparently reading my posts, had a chance to go far post curler with his right foot, but didn't and finally went to his left. Unfortunately his touch in rounding the keeper was too hard and he wound up with a steep angle and missed.

Both Munie and Beason played OK tonight. They weren't the problem.

2. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #27 JazzyJ, Jun 20, 2024
    A good example Quakes one-footed players doing dumb things and hurting the team because they're so one-footed is at 36:22 - Quakes corner kick from the left side. The ball goes over the crowd at the center of the box and falls to Ebobisse on the right side of the box. Looks like he could move forward and get it with his right foot, but instead, he wants so badly to get it on his left foot, he actually turns his back on the ball to try to stab it with his left and it goes by him. :facepalm

3. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    BTW Hernán was down in pain at the end of the game. That would be chef's kiss to the game and to our season - to lose Hernán for a whole bunch of games.

4. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In some teams, better players are keeping good players from starting.

in SJ, worse players are pushing average at best players to starting roles.

We continue to give the other teams plenty of time when they have the ball at the top of our box. Evander had plenty of time to pick out his cross to the back post on Portland’s second goal. I think Niko was the closest guy.

Tonight’s loss may or may not be all on Luchi. But something needs to change. We won’t make the playoff. We should approach the rest of the season with our eyes on next season. Unless you still plan to let Luchi coach next season after he takes the team to the bottom pit, you need a new coach, Ian Russell or not. Why don’t we start the process now?

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #30 JazzyJ, Jun 20, 2024
    Not really. I was never a super big fan of the Luchi hire. Not against it, but disappointed Leitch didn't hire someone to coach the team to play like the way he coached the team to play in 2017. Maybe Ian could have been that guy, I don't know. But I would have liked a coach like Wilfried Nancy - a dogmatic type of coach that commits to playing on the front foot. Luchi has shown himself to the "pragmatic / flexible" type where he wants to adjust tactics to fit certain situations vs. the dogmatic type that commits to playing one style. Dom Kinnear was also a pragmatic / flexible style coach.

Almeyda was more of a dogmatic style coach - committed to his man-marking system. It just kind of turned out to not work well. But at times I defended him because he was at least trying something different and sticking to it. What I didn't like is that when things started to go south, he started complaining about the players (when he'd previously said that "we don't need stars"), and then finally more or less gave up, which I thought was very unprofessional.

I've been slow to get on the fire Luchi train because I'm not sure that switching in the middle of the season will help us, and I thought things would get better with Hernán joining. So that's not happening, but at the same time we're getting killed with injuries on our back line and at GK. I also thought having Luchi around with a little continuity would be better for Hernán vs. a coaching change soon after he joins (plus Luchi can speak to him in Spanish). I wouldn't be opposed to a Luchi firing but I wouldn't be opposed to letting him finish out the season either.

6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I think it’s not a matter of if Luchi gets fired but when. I also feel it’s a high probability that Ian Russell will be his replacement. What will be interesting to see is if Leitch gets fired at the same time Luchi does.

The way Russell was announced as a finalist candidate but not chosen, then hired later on to be the number 2 guy strikes me as a hedge bet move. Who’s move? Either Leitch wanted Luchi or he wanted Russell.

if Leitch is fired at the same time as Luchi then I believe the soccer board wanted Russell. If he stays, it means the hiring committee overruled him on Luchi and they will give him one last roll of the dice to prove Russell should have been the first choice all along.

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This feels like rock bottom but I know it can get a lot worse. A pair of losses to LA squads on deck including one in the showcase Stanford game with team luminaries returning to celebrate 50. Then on the road against St. Louis, where they suffered perhaps their ugliest loss last season in their only other visit.

Sixteen more games of this torment plus some ritual Leagues Cup torture, after which Quakes should be 0-4 against the Galaxy.

xbhaskarx, Quakes05 and bostero24 repped this.
  8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fisher was apparently at the shit show.

xbhaskarx and Beerking repped this.
  9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    When every other team seems like a juggernaut in comparison you know you have a bad team and in you’re in a bad season. I feel like the Quakes have better players than last year on the whole and should in theory be a little better. But just about every other team seems to have gotten “mo’ better” and the there’s the injuries and the questions about coaching.

More losses on the horizon but my biggest short-term concern right now is seeing Hernán down and apparently injured at the end of the game. I wasn’t there to see how he walked off. But if he’s injured for a while we’re gonna be even a lot more dire.

10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Shawlee, Leitch and Luchi

[​IMG]

falvo repped this.
  12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Easiest thing to do is to scapegoat Luchi and hand the reins to Ian. If CL does it this season it would be a convenient way to audition Ian for the role and potentially keep him on for next year without another ponderous coaching search. OTOH tough task to turn this team around at all this season and if Ian can’t do it, it makes it harder to rationalize keeping Ian on next year in the midst of a big “coach search”.

13. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wonder if Ian has been declining to accept the role on an 'interim' basis and that's the secret behind Luchi's apparent invulnerability?

14. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    a front row seat to the mess he's created, probably left unphased.

Fisher isn't going to change. Best we can hope for is a few good years in Sac enroute to Vegas or someplace.

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    As I’ve said before. Careful what you ask for. He’s just spent ~$10M on a player, it hasn’t made much difference in results, someone writes a scathing article in Forbes about the team “not trying”.?My guess is that he’s thinking: why would I do that (spend a bunch of money on an player) again!?

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We're staring down the worst season of any team in MLS history, and we gotta be careful what we ask for?

Beerking repped this.
  17. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    No Quakes fans are asking for this, obviously. Thats like saying A's fans are asking to be moved to Sacramento on their way to Vegas.

Fisher may be stupid enough to think that (finally!) spending some money for an attacking player, once the season was already over, should be enough to change the trajectory of this club, after 16 years of neglect and incompetence...

...fans, of course, know better.

Getting the Quakes on track will take a massive investment of smarts and cash, consistently, over time...just to get to a level of respectability and competitiveness.

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    We don’t have to be careful what we ask for. What I mean is don’t assume that Fisher is going to conclude he needs to spend a whole bunch more money to try to fix the team when he just spent $10M and the team is still struggling mightily and people are writing articles about him “not trying”.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I’m not talking about what Fish *should* be thinking. I’m talking about what he *might* be thinking. We know he has no shame.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It doesn't cost Fisher anything to have a fan advisory council so that Kaval and his ilk aren't the only ones whispering in his ear.

As I told the head of the Quakes Foundation last night, I'm an old man tired of banging my head against the wall.

vamanoshasta, mjlee22 and Beerking repped this.
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #46 JazzyJ, Jun 20, 2024
    Well a few things we know about Fish - he is not spendthrift and he is not going to be welcoming advice on how to run his business. Again I’m not talking about what he *should* do. I’m talking about what he will likely do, which is largely status quo.

Basically we have to hope that we find the magic combination of smart relatively low cost roster construction + smart coaching so that we have at least some semblance of success. Teams do it all the time. There’s no reason we can’t do it. Last year was not terrible. This year certainly is.

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What are fans likely to do? There were maybe three thousand people there last night, if you include Fisher and the folks he employs. Oh, and Alex Smith sounding the horn.

Season ticket renewals are around the corner.

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well your answer is in your post.

24. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forbes dot com is a content farm that takes independent contributions and only pays writers if the articles get enough clicks to derive some ad revenue. The quality of the argument in that article can stand or fall on its own regardless of what platform it's on, but it's basically a blog post. People here have been talking about the article being "in Forbes" as if that lends it some extra gravitas, but it doesn't really. There's no reason that it should be expected to have any particular significance to Fisher. It's not exactly the first time someone has posted on the internet that he's a bad owner and his team is bad.

SalinasQuakesFan and don gagliardi repped this.
  25. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Fisher don't care. Quakes fans need to be clear eyed. And, just in case 16 years worth of watching with our own eyes hasn't taught us anything, we have an example of what becomes of Fisher-owned sports team, just up the road.