Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Orlando City SC (Saturday, 5/18) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, May 19, 2024.

1. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf

Agree. Look at how much of a difference having a ruthless #9 in Chicho (RSL) does to a team. RSL wouldn't be fighting first place without him and his 13g 4a in 14! games.
    It seems that in MLS you can maybe get away with having avg players in certain positions but the spine (goalie, #5, #10 & #9) are positions that have to be your priorities. Thats what you use your 3 DP's & under22 allocations for. We hit our DP with Hernan but not with gruezo.
    But....it's easier said than done with an organization like ours. We don't MLS (DP's ,under22) rules to our advantage.
    Plus luchi must go...

nivla and markmcf8 repped this.
  2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've had about enough of CL, too. Maybe Lopez can be his lovely parting gift to us, but he's spent far too much money are far too many toothless horses over the years.

Boysinblue, TyffaneeSue, Kaitlyn and 2 others repped this.
  3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    The sad part is i find myself not caring about the team anymore because of how poorly it's being run into the ground. I'm sick of the Leitch & Luchi shit-show, it's past time that it was cancelled. If Ebobissy, Judd and gruezo were to vanish off the face of the earth tomorrow I wouldn't send flowers.

We deserve better, damn it!! :mad::mad::mad:

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #29 JazzyJ, May 19, 2024
    Last edited: May 19, 2024
    I didn’t revive any old thread, just quoted a few old posts to make a point, so sue me. And BS search is your friend. This isn’t Madison, WI, we have a little tech savvy here. :) Now excuse while I go for a hike in the beautiful Santa Cruz mountains. Too bad they’re a whole half a mile away! Or should I go to the beach? Ah the Bay Area, so many choices… Oh look at that! Another 75 degree non-humid sunny day and looks like it’ll stay that way for just about oh, another 6 months again. Convenient!

5. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to Santa Cruz, play with the hipsters and college girls.

Beerking repped this.
  6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still a better demographic than Redding.

7. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell has a better demographic than Redding.

markmcf8 and Earthshaker repped this.
  8. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    :ROFLMAO:

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #34 JazzyJ, May 19, 2024
    So last night was a game where we just couldn't get it going. If we had found the net in the 1st half (one of those 2 Rodrigues chances) or even one of those late chances (Espinoza's wide shot to the far post, the Skahan shot from the top of the box) it'd be a different game and different tune. But we didn't and the result was a failure. No 2 ways about it. You are supposed to dominate the game at home and we didn't. One win out of 5 at PPP is horrendous, and toxic to attendance.

Looking at the bigger picture:

It looked like we might start crawling up the table and becoming relevant in the playoff picture but 2 losses in a row has snapped us right back again. So where to go from here? Except for last night, the team has looked better for the last 3-4 games. But still not good enough. So the question is how to get better more consistently and how to start building something for next year. Figure out how to play better with Hernán and Pellegrino, try to get some more production out of our forwards somehow, and start to work in some of the younger players (Ricketts, Verhoeven, Munie, maybe Medina). Maybe CL can pull off a move of significance this summer but I don't think there will be anything other than an Ayo Akinola kind of signing.

I was doing some hair pulling about why we went back to playing so slowly on the attack again after a few games where we were much more direct. I think a lot of it has to do with Orlando being solid in possession in midfield. Generally we couldn't win the ball from them in midfield and therefore we were unable to spring counterattacks. Still I think even in our slow buildups, we should have tried more balls over the top to Pellegrino and Espinoza especially. I also want to see the Hernán-Niko-Yueill midfield starting. I think we will be more dynamic and with little to no negative effect on the defense.

10. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Right before Orlando scored, I pointed to a wide open #11 and yelled to my seatmates that he was wide open. What happened? He got the assist.

I think Jackson was closest to him, but not one Earthquake bothered to turn around to see if anyone was behind him. That is classic U-10 ball watching right there! :mad:

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This was a hangover from the Portland fiasco. Entirely predictable.

12. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Skahan - Pellegrino - Espinosa
    Niko - yuell- HLM

Get's Jebo and Gruezo off the pitch. He won't do it though.

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing they did away with negative rep ...

DotMPP repped this.
  14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey! I want to hang with the hipsters and college girls too!!

15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this is pretty close to on the money. More counter attacking, more direct play. Also, get some of our slugs off the field (Gruezo, maybe Jackson, Jebo).

The big question is, if arm chair coaches can see this, why can't Luchi? He should be fired not later than Monday.

Go Quakesfans!!

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking this morning, Dim Stahre sucked. When Almeyda replaced him we did better with essentially the same lineup. Then Almeyda ran us into the ground. We ditched a bunch of FOMs and improved the roster. Then Luchi did better than Covelo with a slightly improved roster. Now with even better players, we suck.

So it stands to reason that with a better coach we could do better. Right now, I think we should try Ian as head coach and send Luchi packing.

Go Quakesfans!!

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Turnabout is fair play!

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    In sum, right now, Covelo had a better win % than Luchi has with the Quakes. I'm not so much riding the fire Luchi train, but ball don't lie.

19. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew you'd say that.

Either way, we have a significantly improved roster and we suck worse than before.

It's time for change!

Bring on Ian!

Go Quakesfans!!

20. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    But as someone here already mentioned, shouldn't have we come out pissed off and ready to run over our next opponent, especially at home!?
    This is on luchi not firing up the team. Amongst other things....like basic coaching tactics, or lack of.

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I predicted a loss in the pregame thread. “Don Denkinger Disease”. Sure enough . . .

bostero24 repped this.
  22. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luchi and Pareja know each other well from their FC Dallas days. We witnessed an overly-tactical managerial battle last night between the former teacher and student. Neither team deserved to win and 0-0 would've been a fair result. Orlando got lucky as hell at the end when Ojeda completely flubbed his chance but the mishit randomly went to lynn's feat for an easy finish.

QuakeAttack and chris thebassplayer repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah it was a really an even game that could have gone either way but as I said, Orlando made it tough on us by being solid in possession and preventing us from getting our counterattack going. We had a lower xG than we’ve had in a while I think.

24. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What were these tactics?

San Jose looked the same as always against a low scoring over defensive team.

Please explain to us idiots what this managerial battle was between 2 coaches with fanbases who want them both fired was.

bsman, Boysinblue, markmcf8 and 2 others repped this.
  25. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #50 chris thebassplayer, May 19, 2024
    Just back from New Mexico, watched the game today. i agree it was cagey game, but we had numerous chances in the first half and couldn't finish...and also the second half. Our attackers played poorly and Orlando had almost nothing until a few counters late....we let them hang around and it was a total smash and grab for them...the timing absolutely sucks coming off the debacle in Portland. Jebo had an atrocious game...and Judd is mediocre on a good day...so the 9 is a major problem. Pelle had a tough game, but Benji coming in was actually worse...The Judd and Benji subs brought our game down a notch...would have rather brought in Skahan, Niko and Marie....those guys have a better chance of combo play....which we lost with Judd and Benji...Yueill got caught out covering for Marie on the counter...but the guy completely flubbed his kick, annoyingly right to the foot of his teammate...incredibly unfortunate. Tough play for Yueill, but he's getting unrightfully ripped for his 90 minute performance and that's not the case, he was dishing the ball well in combo play.

I'm not a fan of Luchi inverting his center mids with the double pivot, instead of the solitary 6...brings Lopez too deep into the midfield to collect the ball and makes his job much tougher having to slog through more traffic...I'd like to see him much higher...right under our 9...or even play him as a false 9 and get Jebo and Judd off the field.

We need to have Skahan and Lopez on the field at the same. i don't agree with him only subbing for Lopez...just dumb.

So give me a Skahan, Niko, Yueill midfield with Lopez living in and around the box as a false 9...Marie and Pelle can rotate on the left flank...Benji is playing pretty dumbass right now, needs to sit. let's get the deadends off the field and try to go with players that have some speed and shooting ability...players that have a better chance of not coughing the ball up nonstop.