Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Minnesota United FC (Saturday, 3/7) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 7, 2020.

1. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Yea the 3:1 pissed me off so much as the guy making the cross had a 10 yard buffer between him and JY who looked lost instead of attacking the crosser.

2. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should investigate the use of VPN sites, which allow you to connect from a server outside of the blacked out region. I don't know the details but saw postings on Reddit about it. Now relocated to PDX, I no longer suffer the blackout ailment so I've no better details to give

3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #103 Quakes05, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Minnesota United "began play in 2017." An expansion side basically. Rolls into San Jose and scores 5, four in the first half.

Saddest thing, this comes as a surprise to no one (although I didn't expect the score line to be quite so lopsided).

Lucky for us, we should have some exciting young players coming through the development pipeline at our world class training facility in just a few years, young standout players ready to make the jump to MLS, the first of whom should be available right after the Qatar World Cup (just in time for the 2023 season!)...and then, just as they prove their worth to the fans and help San Jose get within shouting distance of a playoff spot, we're gonna sell 'em for a tidy profit!

Unless I'm missing something, this is the actual vision for the San Jose Earthquakes as presented to the fans by Fisher, Jesse & Matias.

markmcf8, Beerking, bsman and 1 other person repped this.
  4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    LAFC began play in 2018 as an expansion side, and rolled into San Jose and scored 5 in its second season.

What else is new? :)

SoccerIsOurLife and markmcf8 repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Mika Stahre, still undefeated against Minnesota United.

6. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    huge losses at home to expansion sides are nothing new to San Jose. it's just a stark reminder, as if anyone needed one, of how little is being done to field a competitive side. it really doesn't take that much to join the pack of potential contenders...

...Fisher isn't even pretending to try anymore.

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I feel your pain, and agree that Fisher is to blame, but I wouldn't characterize Minnesota as an expansion side in its fourth season.

8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    relatively speaking, they're a new side. they've had a few years to build a decent team, starting with "the Beast" Ike Opara...who we gifted them.

the point is, it's easy in this league to field a competitive side right out of the gate, certainly within a few years, and you don't have to break the bank or live in a massive population center full soccer loving people from around the globe to do it.

Fisher is the main obstacle to the growth of professional soccer in San Jose.

He is literally not interested. It never ceases to amaze me.

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  9. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I think that's it.
    They want to create a club that can consistently contend for a playoff spot in a sustainable, cost effective, way.

If we are consistently winning the wooden spoon it's an indication we need to spend more or at least change tactics.

If we are consistently winning the MLS cup it's an indication we can spend less.

The sweet spot is if we have a chance of getting a playoff spot by winning the final game of the season.

Quakes05 repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Kansas City gifted Minnesota Opara. Notably, SKC missed the playoffs without him, and Minnesota has never qualified for the playoffs without him, either.

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fixed your post. :)

12. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Point is we traded him away probably for peanuts and look at him now, scoring at will against his old team.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS

The sweet spot for the owner is to be barely respectable and to have a chance of maybe making the playoffs, just to sell a few more tickets. The sweet spot for fans (since Fisher is no noob by now and has had 12 long seasons to get this right) is to win the title or at least look like you have a shot. That’s why short of bobbleheads and a sunny season opener, everyone has given up. Fisher has put the SJ soccer loving public into a deep sleep coma.

Beerking repped this.
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Never. :)

15. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Yes. I was describing what I think is the perspective of the ownership. Personally i would like to see the Quakes become one of the best teams in the world (given enough time).

I think there’s a core set of fans that will never completely give up. Then there is a revolving door of casual fans that I don’t think will dry up any time soon. Whenever I tell someone that I’m a quakes fan I almost always hear the same thing- “oh, I want to go to the new stadium “, or “I went to a game once and it was fun”. 90% of the time they have no idea if the team is good or not. I do have some friends that are really into sports and they know exactly how the quakes are doing but they’ll still go to a game once or twice just to have fun.

SeaJayBee and don gagliardi repped this.
  16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    AND FC Dallas...

markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I feel the same. But I'd also like to win the lottery even though I don't play. Odds are about the same. :)

Scott Rohde repped this.
  18. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Careful, you'll enflame the apologists with that sort of talk, you know, reality. :D

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm bemused. Not inflamed. :)

20. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I don't consider you an apologists Don, just a staunch supporter.

21. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I suspect that they thought that it was given that the original PK was going to score. They didn't expect Vega to save the shot.

May be that is shell shock, but I would sit both of them and tell them it's unacceptable.

tenfourteen repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As I say, not excusing what happened. But it was understandable in the moment.

There's a military expression that the battle plan is thrown away after the first shot is fired. And Yogi Berra said something about 90 percent of the game being half mental, or vice versa.

I'm also reminded of the Bills' fourth Super Bowl loss. They deservedly led the champion Dallas Cowboys by a touchdown at halftime. But Cowboys QB Troy Aikman noticed as the players were walking into the tunnel that Bills players' heads were hanging in a manner one wouldn't expect from a team that had had its way on the field. (He talks about this on film in later documentaries). Early in the third quarter, the Bills back fumbled and it was returned for a touchdown, tying the score. I remember thinking at the time, the (tie) game was now over. And it was. The rest of the scoring was all Dallas. The Bills team was mentally exhausted and had lost their will to fight. The sum total of earlier Super Bowl defeats. Aikman foresaw it and so did I. Can't explain it with Xs and Os. But Yogi Berra could explain it, and did.

BCaso18 and QuakeAttack repped this.