Pre-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Minnesota United FC "Quarterfinal" (Saturday, 8/1) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spoke too soon! Joe has the center for the QF ORLvLAFC on Friday night. I tried to see who has the 4O for our game, but it’s not listed on MLS or on PRO websites. Bob, where did you get your info? Just curious...

2. Kirk33

Kirk33 Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What difference does it make?? Their coach can say that they are the best team in the history of soccer, or the worst team in the history of soccer. Makes no difference to me. He can also say that the Earth is flat and that unicorns are real. I couldn't care less. I'm interested in which teams gets the most goals on Saturday

3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Nudge nudge, wink wink

bsman repped this.
  4. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It may not make a difference to our team since we play the same way. But their coach's underdog message has a mental effect on Minnesota and they feed off that for energy and determination to execute their hard-to-break game plan. That leads us to the last sentence of your comment. Can we break them down a defensively determined team, avoid mistakes and score more goals?

5. Kirk33

Kirk33 Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not sure about all that!! You said fans and commentators are tired of these artificial comments. So you believe laymen fans can see right thru these artificial comments and grow weary of them, yet professional soccer players are completely oblivious and carried away by those comments to the point of changing the game. That seems pretty incredible to me.

I personally don't think this narrative has much impact on either the fans, or the players, or the outcome.

6. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    #31 sacrxy, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Unless Ericksson pulls off another performance like he did against RSL, I am not sure we have enough to break down bunker ball. Our slow CBs can get burned by quick counters. I can hope but not feeling great about this game.

7. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I am thinking a Jungwirth-Alanis pairing in CB brings us a ticket to the Semi-Finals. No other changes necessary to the starting 11.

SoccerMan94043, Beerking and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  8. Skillachii

Skillachii Member

Chelsea
    Aug 23, 2017
    In my short time as an MLS follower, I've developed a healthy dislike for some teams purely due to their playstyle and Minnesota is on top of that list.

Beerking and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I just got an email about a contest to win a pair of golden shorts by predicting the score -- and scorers -- in tonight's game. I noticed, looking at the store, that you cannot actually buy the shorts. The selection overall is kind of sad, and it's probably bad luck to buy anything right now anyway.

10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    If you win the yellow shorts please burn them in protest..:D

11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not entering because I'll jinx the team, but the yellow's hideousness is what makes them lucky shorts. Attractive clothes can't be lucky. There's a rule.

Beerking and bsman repped this.
  12. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I entered the shorts contest, so now we are truly jinxed.
    Which is a shame because it feels like a straight path to the tournament championship.

13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I told my son to find a cookie recipe to help pass the time. And then told him that if the team won, we'd be making those cookies again in four days. And if they lost...never again.

Not that I'm superstitious.

davez and jeff_adams repped this.
  14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...-became-fixture-their-mls-back-tournament-run
    It looks like the gold shorts were just an option for this kit (as I previously mentioned could be a possibility) and were only worn because a color conflict.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/v...ostgame-thread-r.2110635/page-4#post-38805180

"I wonder if there is a blue short option for this kit? I never recalled seeing the yellow shorts with this top when they unveiled it. And with Vancouver already wearing blue shorts for this game maybe they had this yellow short option to use."

15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I hate to get my hopes up too much, but with LAFC out I think the Quakes have a path to the title. They have to win 3 games, but Almeyda Magic just might do it.

TyffaneeSue repped this.