Pre-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Los Angeles Galaxy (Saturday, 3/2) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    Jared was coy with that, saying, "I think it would be really smart for Chivas to continue to grow their fanbase in Northern California".

Wait...a Quakes executive really said that it would be really smart for another team (chivas) to grow their fan base in N. Cali!?!
    Maybe we should first "grow" our brand before caring about another team from another country getting a bigger ( they're probably already the biggest team in N. California) piece of our pie.
    Can you imagine Man U saying, it'd great for R. Madrid to grow their brand in Manchester!
    What the F...??

Quakes05, Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #102 JazzyJ, Feb 29, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    1) For context he spent the whole interview outside of that one comment essentially taking about growing the Quakes brand.

2) Having Chivas choose Levi’s as their Leagues Cup US “home” vs. say LA or Houston is good for the Quakes in the sense that there’s the whole Cade homecoming thing.

3) We’ve done some business with Chivas and it doesn’t hurt to have a sort of friendly competitor.

4) There are plenty of people who are Chivas and Quakes fans. Not mutually exclusive.

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Chivas fans are likely the Quakes’ biggest fan growth demographic. It’s not zero sum.

Whereas Manchester probably has few Spanish expats, San Jose is home to a huge Guadalajara contingent.

QuakeAttack and JazzyJ repped this.
  4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no fan of Covello as you know, but I think he got a raw deal, so did Mark Watson.

I'd be willing to bet Covello got us to wild card game if he had the games Almeyda tanked.

5. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    Jazzy & Don ...
    What you both are saying is known. I just can't believe that someone inside the Quakes organization is going on record saying its smart for a good another team to grow their fan base in our area.
    Imagine someone in the Bills saying it be smart for the 'Fins or Jets growing their brand in their backyard or Niner's exec saying anything close to that. It'd be some pretty big news and most fans wouldn't be happy.
    I get it that fútbol/soccer is relatively new to the American sporting landscape so it's treated differently than other sports in the States but that is so wrongly said by Jared I don't know where to begin.
    Northern California is Quakes land everyone else is the enemy. Get the hell out of here with anything else.
    As Boca jr's fan they would riot if anyone in the organization would come out saying anything remotely close to what Jared said. I'd venture to say the same would happen anywhere else in the world.

6. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check your damn facebook if you want the damn MLS Season Pass, lets get you set up

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good answer. I like the way you think. :)

SoccerMan94043 and bostero24 repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #108 JazzyJ, Feb 29, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    Soccer in the US is not nearly at the level of maturity yet where we start to worry about competition with global brands. As Don said, it's not a zero sum game. The Bills / Jets comparison doesn't fly because they are in the same league. Jared's not saying it's a good idea for the Galaxy to try to grow their brand in the Bay Area, and even if he did, hah, best of luck to them. A new Chivas fan is more likely to become a crossover Quakes fan than a Quakes fan is to change over to a Chivas fan. I've started to follow Chivas a little because of Cade but it has affected my Quakes fandom exactly 0%.

And finally, I think Jared was just making an off-the-cuff remark that suggests he hopes Chivas picks Levi's because that would be a great opportunity for Quakes fans to see Cade play in a game against the Quakes. As a marketing guy, you always want to see "storylines" to juice interest in the team. He's stanning for the Quakes here. After all he's saying that Chivas should try to grow their fanbase in NoCal, not that he hopes they are successful. He is just trying, more or less tongue in cheek, to cajole Chivas into a "reason" to pick Levi's. Think "context". Better yet, watch the interview.

9. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @bostero24

I sent you a message on facebook, playing tag on here is too hard.

You may have to check your private / or message reqests/spam to see it, or send me a friend request.

I have already sent you my email and password to sign in (Check the message)
    from there it'll ask for a code, we will need to set up a time (i disclosed in the message on facebook), i'll send you the code, you put the code in then it will give you a 2024 MLS Season pass access. I dont have the TV stuff but you can at least catch all the games!

@falvo i can add you too then im maxed out - let me know.

Beerking and don gagliardi repped this.
  10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

don gagliardi repped this.
  11. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting to note about the Chivas discussion Vela is a Chivas product

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I think I already added you!

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One day and counting. :)

-G

don gagliardi repped this.
  14. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    No doubt he was great for LAFC but he's 35yo, hardly the young franchise player we need to build around for our 2026 mls cup run.

We also picked up a couple of 33 year olds who both turn 34 in a couple of months. These guys will be 37 and 36 in 2026...are these the smart moves we need from Leitch?

We've been trying to be Chivas USA! part deux for years, Matias came from there, Chofis, Alanis & Fierro were Chivas guys...and now maybe Vela the former Chivas guy, Jared wants to grow the Chivas fan base in our area...

...Cade ended up at Chivas. It's interesting in the sense that none of these moves seems to be helping us in our quest for 2026 cup glory.

bsman and bostero24 repped this.
  15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

-G

17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three reasons to come to the opener: Rivalry game. Food. Art.
    I just want an improved team.

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok @bostero24 is all hooked up, ready to go for the season to watch games.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'll buy you a beer next time you visit PayPal.

sacrxy, markmcf8, Beerking and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic

Beerking repped this.
  22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latest episode of “Quakes Exclusive” (Season 2, Episode 2) is now available to view in the San Jose Insider section of the San Jose Earthquakes page of MLS Season Pass. :thumbsup:

-G

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    In the MLS / AppleTV "preview" of the SJ-LAG game, Twellman, Carr, and Kljestan talked about LAG alone for all but the last 45 seconds of the 6 minutes, when the female host (not sure her name) managed to interject something about SJ (the only one with any sense - wait, we can't do a whole SJ-LAG preview w/o mentioning SJ at all!).

Goodsport and markmcf8 repped this.
  24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #124 JazzyJ, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    Yeah, once again, not in the place it was last year, but yes, if you search for "San Jose Insider" and scroll to the last video in the thumbnail list you'll find "Quakes Exclusive: Episode 2". Good show this week with Kelly Gray, Jordan Stewart, and Cristian Espinoza. Espinoza's getting more and more comfortable speaking English and doing quite well. Kelly focused a lot of the discussion on "what do you like about San Jose", which is not really about the game but they also talked about home openers and classicos and stuff like that in general terms. Nothing about tactical stuff or any review of last week's game, etc.

Goodsport repped this.
  25. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry to be a wet blanket, but I am having trouble getting enthusiastic about sitting under a wet blanket tomorrow night :(:confused:

Beerking repped this.