Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Inter Miami CF (Wednesday, 8/3) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 4, 2022.

1. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #76 DasMoots, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    Mistake #1. Almeyda should have never started the season.

Mistake #2. We didn’t shore up the defense during the off season (we have so many midfielders it’s crazy).

Mistake #3. An available Ian Russel was not hired immediately to take over the team (IMO we could truly be in the playoff hunt if he had been).

Mistake #4. There are still no new signings and the transfer window is closed (supposedly some will be announced today, we’ll see).

Not sure how much control CL actually has but the honeymoon is way over for me!!

bsman, Quakes05, TyffaneeSue and 3 others repped this.
  2. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Nice list but a missed a couple

Mistake #5. They should not have signed Chofis for a half season (which is a bizarre thing to do) instead they should have gone out and got a great DP to replace him.

Mistake #6. They should not have signed the worst center back in the league. We know he's the worst in the league because our own captain and legend told us so. He only lasted half a season. Sure we got a little money but that's not the way you take a season seriously.

Beerking, bsman, DasMoots and 3 others repped this.
  3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    btw, mistakes 1 thru 6 are all GM-related suggesting Chris Leitch is floundering badly and in way over his head.

Beerking, DasMoots, falvo and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Imagine if we brought in some GM from Europe and he made all those mistakes. Big Soccer would be livid.

bsman repped this.
  5. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    right, but the guy who has been with the team since 2009, serving in every conceivable role (starting as a defender, a defender (!)...who is incapable of assembling a solid backline when it matters)...the guy who promised us a competitive roster for this year, a full arsenal, that guy gets a pass. I can't figure it out.

Beerking and Scott Rohde repped this.
  6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I doubt there is any fan that is happy with what has been reported about incoming players for SJ during this window.

I think there could be more than a few surprises in the near future though. Remember when Jebo was announced last August 5th? No one happened to notice that Jungwirth was being traded to make that deal work until some time later. Since a lot of MLS teams have been active in the window, the Quakes could be in a great position to pick up players that teams have to move out for roster and salary compliance. If Leitch can pull in some Monteiro level players through inter league trades because of this window then my metric for success will higher.

Does anyone know how many slots are available? If two internationals are coming in and Lopez is departing (on a green card, right?), what kind of roster room is there? Can a guy like George Asomani be permanently assigned to Quakes2 for the year and the international slot recovered for the first team?

I will say that after I had suggested Mathew Hoppe and John Brooks as players the Quakes should really target, it was comforting to hear that Leitch was in fact on the same page and attempting to swing deals for them. That shows me he is building the type of team that I think could be successful. Now if he would just listen to me and hire Ian Russell I would be a very happy man.

JazzyJ repped this.
  7. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    The window is CLOSED. No more players under contract can join our club at this point.

Beerking and bsman repped this.
  8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Florian Jungwirth’s trade was announced AFTER the Jebo trade. I’m saying it’s possible there were deals that have not been rumored and will be coming out.

SalinasQuakesFan and don gagliardi repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How is Florian Jungwirth doing with the Caps? I can't find much info on him.

10. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I expect they will announce Rodriguez. Anything after that would be a surprise.

11. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    He gets some playing time. Just announced that he has covid now though.

falvo repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #87 falvo, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    I know MA didn't care for his style although I recall Flo respected him as a coach.

I don't know his current form but I think though he would have helped out the Quakes on defense at least this year anyway....

Scott Rohde repped this.
  13. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't the loan term 18 months and it just ran out? Was he signed to something additional?

14. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Lasitter and him royally screwed up some easy opportunities. Based upon the few times that I have seen him, I'm surprised Lasitter is even in the league.

I keep hearing that MLS has improved, but based upon the teams the Quakes are playing and their failure to take advantage of some of the Quakes miscues, I'm not seeing it.

15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize the game was on Wednesday so ended up watching last night. In some respects, it could have ended in a tie (Nathan had a couple of nice opportunities), and in other respects, as we started to push for an equalizer, we gave up some really easy opportunities that Miami flubbed. Game probably should have been 3-1 Miami.

Ref should have given a yellow card on the challenge that injuried JT early in the first half. Otherwise, the ref was fine.

Unlike a few, I don't see the players giving up. Mental mistakes, poor quaiity - yes.

Benji has gone cold in the last couple of games. Ebo had one good turn and shoot and another put into the upper stands.

Let's face it - Miami had a better midfield than us and it generally reflected in the play of the game. When we pressured them, they could play out of the pressure.

I like Niko, but he was bad this game. Bersano did well off the bench. Others? Not so much.

Glad we didn't get season tickets and "fighting" my wife not to get them next year.

16. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Replacing Tommy (5',7") with Marie (5',8") to cover Asprilla (5',10") and not just gluing one of Beeson or Nathan on the guy cost three points in Portland.

Maybe Portland scores some other way, but, wow, talk about missing the real hole!

Beckham7 repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    This doesn’t have a lot to do with my post, certainly the 2nd half of it. And the Portland game was a while ago.

But to address it partially, no one’s claiming Covelo’s always made the right moves, but Nathan and Beason have put in a lot of minutes over the last few months after we lost a starting CB, even starting all 3 of a 3 in 7 or 8. As for Marie, he’s been a responsible party for many goals this year and I think Covelo has soured on him a bit for that reason.

18. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Yeah, we exercised his half year option.

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  19. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that worked out well with Chofis...

20. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    If the goal was to take this season seriously it was a bad idea and didn't work out.

If the goal was to kick the can down the road, well it still didn't help anything.

21. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I know is Lima and Hoesen must have had at least a few laughs together over the last several weeks.

SoccerIsOurLife repped this.