Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Inter Miami CF (Wednesday, 8/3) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 4, 2022.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Clearly a real "team first" player.

don gagliardi repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If Covelo doesn’t already know he’s not getting the permanent gig, he’s a fool.

Boysinblue repped this.
  3. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone who is such a fool doesn't deserve the permanent gig ;)

4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Rodriguez didn’t do himself any favors in that one.

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    You could know that you're not getting the gig now or before, but you can also be unhappy about being hung out to dry a bit with the open senior roster spots. Even if he doesn't get the Quakes coaching gig, I'm sure he'd like to do as well as possible for consideration for other coaching jobs, even if not at the MLS level.

I think coaching the Quakes has been his dream job, and he may have had hopes things were going to work out when he had good success early. It's slipped or slipping out of his grasp now, but I would not fault someone for trying to keep his dream alive at some level - for having some passion for the club even if a little naive. I feel a little bad for him TBH, but looks like I'm the only one :). Fair enough.

6. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Leitch really treated him poorly, I feel bad for the guy. He never had a chance. He’ll be lucky if he gets his old Q2 gig back.

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Covelo could have played the hand he was dealt better than he has. For example, his starting lineup last night was befuddling. Didn't someone on here recommend Espinoza as a fullback? (Hire, whoever it was because they're more clever than Covelo). Maybe put Espinoza back there and play BOTH Benji and Cade on the wings?

Covelo is gonna have to tweak things significantly in the absence of Lopez merely to buy a goal, let alone win a game. I wonder if that has sunk in yet. Should have after the Houston fiasco.

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would feel more for Covelo if he had managed to figure out how to defeat Sacramento. I'm still numb from that disaster and therefore am unable to feel sorry for him.

DasMoots repped this.
  9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    My point is that he's been dealt a difficult hand, not the he's played that difficult hand particularly well. I think he's played it OK. But my point was more about the human element.

10. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    he was facing a massive uphill battle to begin with but he accepted the challenge probably under assumption that if he did well the job would be his. since then CL has slowly been dismantling his team, shipping his players off to distant lands. CL completely set the poor guy up to fail. I doubt he was ever a serious candidate and he certainly wasn’t given the opportunity to prove it.

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In 2017, Chris Leitch was an interim coach under similar circumstances and performed far better than Covelo has in 2022.

DasMoots, Beckham7 and bsman repped this.
  12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #62 JazzyJ, Aug 4, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    Again, I'm not arguing so much about the technicalities of performance measurement, but feeling bad for him as a person. I think coaching the Quakes was his dream job. There was a point where he probably thought it could happen, and it's slipping thru his hands. And CL hasn't made it any easier for him.

There was a point fairly early on, during a postgame interview, where Covelo said, unprompted, "I love this club". I think it was genuine, and I don't know that I've heard that from any other Quakes manager. He also said when he took the job with the Quakes one of the 1st things he learned was "Goonies never say die". Again, never heard a Quakes coach say those kinds of things, and it was kind of funny to hear it with such a heavy Spanish accent.

Finally, although he's had a thin roster - with some unfilled open senior roster spots, etc. and would have some right to complain about it if he were any kind of complainer, I've hadn't heard him do it once. Not yet anyway :).

13. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Leitch isn't doing ********all so I have no faith in him. :mad:

Quakes05 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  14. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11,806 according to MLS.

But how many of those sold/give away tickets actually showed up?

Would love to know the true attendance number and the current number of season ticket holders.

Anyone got a spy on the inside ?;)

Beerking repped this.
  15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I actually thought attendance was pretty good for a Wed night, and the crowd was into it until the end. Not 11.8k but that number seems about right given the usual “inflation rate”. It’s that odd phenomenon where smaller crowds seem louder and more into due to greater % of real fans.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  16. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was PayPal day and I assume a ton of tickets were given to them.

Beerking repped this.
  17. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The oracle weighs in:

Until last night, the Quakes weren't looking that bad/sad. Indeed, for large parts of their previous three games, they played pretty decently. Indeed, a win was in the bag on their previous outing, until they panicked after 2 of the 5 extra minutes had been played. Each of the two games before that had featured one good half before concentration faltered.

Last night looked to me to be a different story. The EQs were disconnected from the start.. Multiple interceptions in the forward 1/3 led to nothing. They seemed to be playing with their heads down. Only fumbled touches and desperate defending prevented losing to a basically weaker team by more than the one-goal margin.

At least, that's what I saw. And it's puzzling to boot that players like Yueill seem to be going backward instead of developing.

Beerking, bsman, SoccerMan94043 and 2 others repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Agreed. Last night was the season's low point.

Beckham7 repped this.
  19. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot Ebobisee was playing until half way through the first half. Was a very demoralizing game.

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Let's hope, and not the beginning of a steeper decline.

21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    between now and 8/20 Quakes will play three of the top four teams in the west, and then, 8/27, Quakes face SKC on the road, then there's still seven more games to play!

steeper decline seems almost inevitable, :eek: we need to prepare ourselves.

Beerking and bsman repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Quakes05 repped this.
  23. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's also how I read from the body language of some players once the game kicked off. One particular player was the most obvious and you would expect someone with such status on the team would actually be the one who tried to jazz up the team. When I saw it, I knew it would be a bad night. It was even more obvious once Miami scored. Something may changed at half time and the team came out with more fight.

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I honestly think that not getting the win against RSL messed with their heads / confidence and had a carryover effect into this game. They knew they had dropped points at home at the last minute, and they felt pressure to win last night. Playing with pressure --> playing tight, i.e. not to make a mistake --> loss.

Once they got down a goal the "playing tight" eventually gave way to a bit of desperation / resolve, which is actually a better mindset. That's what changed at the half. But they couldn't get the goal.

This is why teams tend to go thru streaks. It has to do with confidence breeding relaxed and instinctive play vs. playing tight and thinking too much / playing not to make a mistake with tends to snowball. They've gotta try to turn it around, but it's going to be tough with the next 2 road games. So things are likely to get worse before they get better, and they may never really get much better as there aren't that many games left.

25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When the season started off with a lame duck Almeyda doing crazy shit to get fired I think most of us knew it was going to be a write-off. You can't even say at this point that we're rebuilding, because usually that involved bringing young and talented players in whereas we've spent most of the season dumping players. We'll see what's announced for today, but unless CL brings in a half-dozen known talents at critical positions next year is also going to be a "rebuilding" season. God only knows how long that excuse is going to be used...

Scott Rohde and Beerking repped this.