Pre-match: San Jose Earthquakes @ Houston Dynamo

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by dynamofan, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    Houston Dynamo vs San Jose Earthquakes; Thursday May 23rd and 7:30 pm (R for previous games)

So it's Wednesday evening and still no thread for the match Saturday against San Jose? Where is everyone :D

According to the official injury report:

HOUSTON DYNAMO
    OUT: DF Eddie Robinson (L knee surgery); DF Wade Barrett (L gastrocnemius strain); DF Richard Mulrooney (facial fracture); PROBABLE: FW Brian Ching (R hamstring tightness)

So the team will probably have Ching back, but not Barrett. With the far from impressive performance of many of the guys last week, does Dom make any major changes to the lineup, or does he go with what he had last week?

I'd like to see a few changes, but I don't really expect them.

Here's the changes I'd like to see:

Bench Kamara, start Wondo or Ade with Ching: I'd pick Wondo at this point, he's played full matches and has experience playing with Ching (and connected with him on a nice goal the last time they played together against Columbus). And then sub in Ade around the 60 minute mark. There are several reasons I'd bench Kei - overall, I don't think he's played that well this year. Other than the one (very nice) header for a goal, he hasn't scored or even threatened much to score. In addition, he has the history of going off against Garcia and not keeping his focus when playing San Jose. Finally, he clearly lost focus on defense in NY on the corner kick (Wolyniec was his man and Kei left him, but didn't clear out of the box).

Put Mullan at right back, and put Ashe in the midfield: Chabala did not impress me much last week, and I'd rather see Hainault at left back. Putting Mullan at right back and Ashe at midfield creates more offense out of the right side, and doesn't sacrifice much defense. Mullan is tenacious on defense, and has great recovery speed. The combination of Mullan and Ashe should shut down any wide play from San Jose on their left side. I know Ashe is much better on the left side, but he's played enough on the right side to be comfortable there. But since Mullan has played very little at right back, and hasn't had much practice there, I don't really expect that change.

So my preferred starting lineup would be:

----------------- Onstad --------------------
    Mullan -- Boswell -- Cameron -- Hainault
    Ashe -------- Clark ----------- Davis
    -------------- Holden -------------------
    ---------- Ching ----- Wondo ----------------

But the lineup I expect to see is:

Hainault -- Boswell -- Cameron -- Chabala
    Mullan -------- Clark ----------- Davis
    ---------- Ching ----- Kamara ----------------

2. cskerlecz

cskerlecz Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Cypress
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What/When

• The Houston Dynamo try to make it four wins in five games with the 1st of a 2 game homestand against the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday, May 23rd, at 7:30 pm CDT.
    TV/Video

• This game will be broadcast in English on KHOU 11.2 and FS Houston as well as DK.
    Radio/Audio

• In Spanish: La Ranchera 850 AM. They do not stream online.
    • In English: KBME, The Sports Animal, 790 AM. Stream Usually Available Online.
    Watch Parties

No Trolling. No Flaming.

This is not a rivalries thread or forum. If you want to go that route, then post in the MLS Fans Rivalries forum -- don't bring it here. If you see trolling posts - don't reply to them. Instead, ignore the poster and just report the post and we'll get rid of it and deal with the troll appropriately.

3. KRAZYKAT

KRAZYKAT Member

Jul 12, 2008
    South Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Starting Lineup for Sat vs SJ

Maybe Dom will go with this format -

Hainault -- Boswell -- Cameron -- Chabala
    Mullan -------- Clark ----------- Davis
    -----Ade (1st half) -----Kamara----------------

4. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Houston Dynamo vs San Jose Earthquakes; Thursday May 23rd and 7:30 pm (R for previous games)

sorry guys, it is finals week and today is graduation, so I have been super super busy. For future reference you do not need to wait for me to start this, do not feel like you are stepping on my toes. Just try and make a general first post (does not have to be in depth) and I will edit it later.

Thanks for getting it going.

5. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    time to smash the San Jose Scrubs !
    Huckaberry Hound can't sniff out a goal this season, Alverez might be home grown swag but he's the enemy this weekend.

Clutch City Til I DIE!

6. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must win. You can't drop points at home to a team that is near the bottom of the league no matter how dangerous they may or may not be.

I propose that everyone boo their ass off every time Garcia touches the ball.

7. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, a must win.

Can one of the Leagues worst Offenses score goals against one of the Leagues worst Defenses?

I sure hope so....

8. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The choice comes down to Chabala or Waibel. I'm gonna say that Dom sticks with Chabala. Ashe starting on the right isn't a horrible idea but if that happens, you're probably going to lose some width since he doesn't have a right foot. Crosses are going to have to come in with his left which means the play will either slow down as a result or he's going to cut into the middle. Mullan can definitely play RB in a pinch but I like what he's been giving on the right side of midfield the past few games. His work rate and effort have never been poor but now we are starting to see those trademark Mullan schoolings of left backs 2 or 3 times a game. Ching will start if he's healthy and since he's probable, I'll assume he is.

9. KRAZYKAT

KRAZYKAT Member

Jul 12, 2008
    South Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Corey..we need him to do his good cross like he does one for Wondo last week. I'll go with Waibel for the 1st half. :D

10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    this is very important. don't forget all you peeps that wanted to enhance the stadium atmosphere outside the SG areas.

btw, i can't believe its the last time i'll get to say this for this year:

"ryan cochrane you're dead to me."

11. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 days baby!

12. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. We need to get Nick Garcia red carded. He is going to be messing with Kamara's head, and Kamara may be able to control his temper if Garcia is too busy showing us his middle digit.

While I may have to miss the game, I'll give clear instructions to my replacements at the game to yell at Garcia.

Incidentally, does anybody know any trash on Nick? Don't know anything about him, otherwise I'd make my friends bring a sign or yell a special message to him.

(It was funny to see how sensitive Kenny Cooper got when people reminded him that he is not in the MNT)

13. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will bring a container of yellow fluid and throw it at him lol jk

14. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    García Ready For His Favorite "Mental Midget"
    http://www.mercurynews.com/morningbuzz/ci_12424251?nclick_check=1

What a tool. I hope we're ready for him. We've all got Kei's back.

15. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope the rain holds off tomorrow

16. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Quakes board is anything to go by - we're gonna win.

I hope that if or when the Dynamo ever have a down season - we never turn into that kind of mentality

17. CLakeCracker

CLakeCracker Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Downtown
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Houston Dynamo vs San Jose Earthquakes; Thursday May 23rd and 7:30 pm (R for previous games)

I take it you mean that it was your graduation???

If so, congratulations Dr. Art

18. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was the graduation ceremony. I still need to defend my thesis to finalize it, and to do that I need to finish writing it, so I am not all the way there yet. But thanks!

19. KRAZYKAT

KRAZYKAT Member

Jul 12, 2008
    South Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sound like Dom might bench Kamara and start Ade instead..just want to make sure Kamara stay out of trouble with Garcia ..:cool:

20. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    What's weird is that Ade wasn't doing any shooting drills at practice today, but Dom was pressing Kei.

21. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, if you're like me (probably nobody is like me) and you forget which one is Nick García, he's the one with the 3 on his back.....

unless he changes it to come inncognito.

22. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As always, the Mezz (US 59 & Greenbriar) hosts the TA post-game party. They'll also re-play the Dynamo x SJE game and have some of the late MLS games on live.

All Dynamo supporters (21+) are welcome.

[​IMG]

23. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look forward to seeing Ade and Ching on the field together.

I think too much Football Manager 2009 has clouded my judgment of Kei as of late.

24. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    REFEREE: Alex Prus. SAR (bench): Chris Strickland; JAR (opposite): Greg Boles; 4th: Oscar Ortiz MLS Career: 144 games; FC/gm: 29.1; Y/gm: 3.4; R: 33; pens: 41

INJURY REPORT: HOUSTON DYNAMO - OUT: DF Eddie Robinson (L knee surgery); DF Wade Barrett (L gastrocnemius strain); DF Richard Mulrooney (facial fracture); PROBABLE: FW Brian Ching (R hamstring tightness) ... SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES - OUT: DF Ryan Cochrane (L ankle surgery); MF Darren Huckerby (R quadriceps strain); PROBABLE: DF Jason Hernandez (L calf strain)

INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
    SUSPENDED: SJ: Aaron Pitchkolan (through May 24)
    WARNINGS:
    SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: none
    SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: HOU: Ricardo Clark ... SJ: Quincy Amarikwa; Ramiro Corrales

I will be tweeting the game from Robertson press box at

http://twitter.com/dynamoasn