Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - FC Cincinnati (Saturday, 6/15) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jun 16, 2024.

1. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very ironic and clever name, the Spanish guy last night said he sliced through the defense like warm garlic! So you may be onto something

Beerking repped this.
  2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you need both. It's a salary capped league, so you can't just "spend money." You need depth in your roster, and that's going to come from your academy and clever trades at the margins. Then you need a couple of superstar-type players (whether or not they cost a lot).

It's not just about "opening the check book." This isn't the EPL nor MLB. You have to be clever with the resources that you have.

Also, spending cash on analytics, and not being afraid to fire your coach when he sucks. Those are areas where teams can spend pretty freely, and clearly OUR team does not.

There's a lot more involved than just buying the best players you can find. Those dudes have to be able to work together. And your coach needs to know how to use them.

Go Quakesfans!!
    Luchi OUT!!!

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We played well for the first 70 minutes of the game. Then Luchi pushed his slow-ass CBs forward and we fell apart.

4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes we discovered Munie is very slow as well lol. He also is not ready for 90 minutes of soccer, which means Walls behind him is real bad

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS

Of course it’s never just about opening the checkbook, which is why I’ve been saying for (many, many) years that it takes both, a willingness to spend some money, and smarts.

vjle and markmcf8 repped this.
  6. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I still prefer Air Naan. If that became his nickname, maybe it would induce people like Chris Leitch and Ted Ramey to say his name correctly.

[​IMG]

Beerking and Kaitlyn repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx BigSoccer Yellow Card

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's really impressive about this is Espinoza and Lopez are both unquestionably very good. So the rest of the roster, and the coaching, have to be really historically crap for a team with two such talented players to still be on pace to break so many "worst MLS team ever" records. Both score to give you a 2-1 lead at home? Give up three goals to a substitute in 9 minutes, boom. Not every crap team could manage that.

9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They're too hurt to share

mjlee22, Beerking, bsman and 3 others repped this.
  10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't even really understand why we're so bad on the defensive side of the ball. Yeah, we don't have great players other than Espinoza and Hernán, and we're missing our 1 and 2 CB's + our 1 and 2 GK's, but why does our defense collapse in the last 10-15 minutes so often? I tried analyizing the goals last night and all I could get was 1) crappy GK'ing, and 2) ball watching. I wonder if fitness is also a factor - that would account for the late goal onslaughts. I don't see guys looking obviously gassed, but it could just be that 5-10% that is not easily noticeable but makes a difference in a game of inches.

11. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Imo, the game took a sharp turn, when it appeared to me Niko ran out of gas, he was getting beat pretty bad…Acosta kicked his game up a level and we had no pure 6 with actual wheels to sub in for Niko…Luchi waited too long to sub, he eventually got Morales in but he was a road cone, and the damage had already been done. Acosta bossed the last 30 min and we didn’t have anybody to slow him down…sloppy defending…once Acosta is in the box…nobody wants to overplay or be too rash…it turns passive…and he preys on that by forcing the issue…he unbalances 2-3 defenders…and his teammate finishes out the play…and 3-4 Quakes are looking around like what just happened?!

i don’t know what’s up with Luchi and the FO
    Imo, he’s coaching like he has job security…He doesn’t look like he’s coaching to save his job…which he absolutely should be…it’s getting laughable…how many points we’ve dropped after having leads…and our newfound ability to get blown out late. How he’s survived this long is beyond comprehension.

markmcf8, nivla and Boysinblue repped this.
  12. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone has been reading the news about what is going on in Argentina they would know things are not well. My guess is Hernan is thrilled to be here.

markmcf8 and JazzyJ repped this.
  13. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're up two men and the other team gets a 2 on 1 breakaway against you, great job, coach.:thumbsup:.

Kaitlyn and JazzyJ repped this.
  14. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Can someone educate me on what exactly Preston Judd does for us when he comes in. All is see is him hanging out upfield while we are defending and then not getting any ball kicked in his direction. He is the antithesis to Lenhardt and Gordon. Every time he comes in, nothing happens of a positive nature. Every time.

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #115 JazzyJ, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    He does play a lot closer to our opponent's goal than Jebo does. My complaint with him is that when he does get a ball kicked in his direction he almost never wins it. Either the defender tackles it away or wins the challenge, or Judd fouls. He did make that one nice play / goal against Sac. But otherwise, I know his minutes are really limited, but he's been a disappointment.

16. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  17. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he scored a goal... as a forward and it was nice... so that should give him brownie points? Got it glad we give out participation ratios

18. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ultras put out piss poor public statements as if they have a massive social media following and theyre some type of business, or important entity with this club that doesnt want to disclose issues when they're just a bunch of clowns like our roster. So it goes hand and hand.

Ultras always have some kind of problems going on.

Beerking repped this.
  19. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Why? What's going on? :confused:

20. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #121 JazzyJ, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    When I moved over towards the Quakes goal in the 2nd half on the north / west side there was a small pocket of Cinci fans (like 3?) that would stand up and yell and cheer and dance for what seemed like an eternity when Cinci scored. Of course fine if you’re with an away supporters section but if you’re in a sea of opposing fans, it’s fine to cheer a bit but you could also read the room? It was a bit much. I know if it were me I’d keep it pretty subdued, not so much out of fear but just out of a kind of basic read the room respect.

22. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??? The whole point of being an away fan is to celebrate as loud as you can.
    After all, the away team is fighting uphill because the home team is supposed to win.

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    :confused:No team is “fighting an uphill battle” when they come to PPP. Again if you’re in an away supporters section go for it, if you’re in a sea of home fans, the 5-minute long screaming and happy dance seems a bit much.

24. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    a handful of overly exuberant Cincinnati fans is the very least of our problems.

mjlee22, TyffaneeSue, markmcf8 and 2 others repped this.
  25. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    giving up three goals in 10 minutes is too much.

markmcf8, Beerking and bostero24 repped this.