Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Colorado Rapids (Saturday, 4/13) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Apr 14, 2024.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    True but if we're "barely losing" I think the chances are better that we'd at least get a tie in at least one of those upcoming road games than if we were getting blown out every time.

2. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the same was said in the past lol.

But a tie and win will eventually happen.

But to be honest. I hope we lose every game just so we have a record almost impossible to break LOL

DotMPP and Beerking repped this.
  3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, even though our standings look dire, right now I don’t feel as badly about this team as I did during the Stahre year.
    Was it just one year, it felt like Stahre was here for several years, I was so traumatized. :D

xbhaskarx and Beerking repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because while Luchi and Stahre are both well below MLS level as coaches, at least Luchi doesn't have a goofy Swedish accent and the body of a hobbit... Luchi has the "look" he just lacks the skills.

After returning to Sweden, Stahre is now coaching in Thailand where he has a sub-30% winning percentage... say hi to Anthony Ampaipitakwong for us.

markmcf8, mjlee22 and JazzyJ repped this.
  5. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mika Stahre and his copious note-taking, Aug-2018

IMG_1533.jpeg

Beerking repped this.
  6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He's working on the "bearing walls".

7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    So I listened to Luchi's postgame from the Aftershock podcast on my run today. It went quite long - almost a half an hour, and I thought he actually acquitted himself well under the circumstances. I mean you really don't have a leg to stand on after a bad home loss like and given this season's record. You're like the black knight in Monty Python with all of your limbs cut off. But there are many ways he could have made the situation worse:

- Blame the refs (not too much to complain about in that game)
    - Throw the players under the bus
    - Say that you "don't have the horses", i.e. blame ownership or front office
    - Be in a foul mood

I would say his mood was pretty subdued - he sounded pretty down but also kind of quietly resolute. He did say several times that the team didn't give up and played hard until the end. And I think that's true but I also think he knows his job is in jeopardy if anyone senses the players giving up. He says that he thinks they need be stronger mentally and that comes with confidence - and they need to keep working so that things start to go their way more and they build confidence. Another theme was the importance of winning "duals" - which I think is right. The Quakes don't win enough of them.

Alex Morgan (no, not that Alex Morgan - the wimpy looking Aftershock guy with curly hair Alex Morgan) asked the pointed question. He said that going back to last year the team has won once in 13 games. And then he basically asked what the team needs to do to get back on track, like (he implied) fire Luchi or get help with the roster, etc. Luchi handled it pretty well - just said that he can't worry about the things he doesn't control and he has to look forward to the next game and not dwell on the past. He also went into the "project" thing. Hey, this thing is a project and we're in a down part of it but we're integrating new players, etc., and we think the results will turn around. Something to that effect.

At first I thought he'd completely ignore the "get help with the roster part" but he did say that they intend to sign a DP / U22 when the time is right or something like that, and that he can't control "what ownership decides" or anything else that goes into it. And obviously his job at this point is to try to win with the players he has, whom he believes in, based on comments from previous interviews. At this point we're struggling for any hint as to what's going on with the DP. I thought it was interesting that the first thing he mentioned is that he can't control "what ownership decides". That could be a general comment or it could refer to something specific in terms of the current situation with the DP.

Quakes05 repped this.
  8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These results are shaping up worse than Stahre's year. Stahre was able to mix in a fair number of ties, and didn't lose by more than two until September, 5-1 to KC at home. He was fired the next day.

Beerking and don gagliardi repped this.
  9. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone really believe that Leitch would fire Luchi this season?
    I mean, what good would it do, cuz who would take the job (other than Ian R and Steve R). And I don’t believe either one of those guys would be able to change anything. And Leitch would have to go on another worldwide search :eek:. It would just be a bunch of Kabuki, as my hubby and I like to say.

10. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because if Luchi doesn't fire Leitch, then Shawlee needs to fire Leitch for 100% incompetence.

If nothing happens, Fisher needs to grow lady nuts and fire all of them.

DotMPP, Beerking, markmcf8 and 2 others repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This team feels worse to me.

DotMPP repped this.
  12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #137 JazzyJ, Apr 15, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    I don’t think CL will fire Luchi this season because 1) he took the team to the playoffs last year so he has a little bit of a cushion. CL could say OK 1 in the win column, one in the loss column, let’s roll the dice on the tiebreaker (next year). 2) I think our results will even out a bit as season wears on - still maybe last or close to last, but not as bad as the current run, and 3) for whatever reason, CL has not gotten Luchi the DP #10 or any U22’s. Whatever the reason is - CL couldn’t close a deal, the money went away, CL knows this.

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Leitch make the decision or does Shawlee?
    Maybe Shawlee fires both?

14. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Colorado looked good.

15. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First goal was classic Paul Marie dumbfoolery...

His occasional offensive help is often so good, he should just be a left side attacking midfielder and stroll back to defend so there is less chance of that shit on the 1st goal.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It’s not a bad idea to play him as left side attacker. But generally his defense is not bad. He’s just a little frantic in his play sometimes. You can always count on him to “do a bunch of stuff” when he’s in there. Some good, some bad. As I say “Paul Marie giveth and Paul Marie taketh away.”

17. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't online to grouse about him... There's always seems to be one or two starters that wouldn't make the bench on most MLS teams now. He's my poster boy for that person this season (well, as long as he's started basically)

18. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is nothing worse than being ignored... If no one is bitching, that would be a problem

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    True.