San Jose Earthquakes close in on signing Brazil's Eduardo

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by FUAEG, Jan 24, 2010.

1. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14260582

2. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
  3. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note: It's not the Brazilian Eduardo at Arsenal. It's the other Brazilian Eduardo, the one that nobody ever head of.

[​IMG]

4. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, thats 2 of 4 guys that are "known"... 2 more signings to go.

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a very good signing to me. He's a fairly well known guy who's played for a Tier One Swiss team. Definitely not one of our typical anonymous signings. Sounds like he'll be in Oakland at training camp too.

6. morgan1906ultras

morgan1906ultras New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    [ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyd5v_eduardo-da-silva_sport"]Dailymotion - Eduardo Da Silva - une vidéo Sports et Extrême@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/xyd5v@@AMEPARAM@@xyd5v[/ame]

7. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And besides having a decent resume, it's trained with the team for awhile so he's not sight unseen and he also knows what's getting in for, so hopefully that will preclude an "I'm homesick for Europe" type situation as we had with Lima.

He seems to be pretty big and yet with good feet and good speed. I'm excited to see him play.

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice, love the versatility. we could throw him at left mid (mark will LOVE that), attacking mid, and forward.

Thats a great pickup there

9. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Here is his Wikapedia page. He's got plenty of silverware for some very respectable teams! Plenty of appearances and goals as well. 30 isn't a spring chicken, but this also isn't a case of an aging star looking for a vacation league before retirement. Very promising!

10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Not sure how Gjertsen qualifies as an "international player", unless you count that he's played for Canadian USL teams.

In any case, maybe the Quakes' highest profile signing since, I don't know,....Roberto Convey? Well, anyway, I hope they are able to sign him. He's got some moves and can shoot. Doesn't look fast though, and his footwork almost looks a bit sluggish to me. Good, but sluggish. But maybe that's just me.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about that. I'd say this is a signing that is only surpassed by someone like Hucks internationally.

12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about signing guys with big "names," dudes that just did well in some league or tournament or other, is that you generally have to over pay for them. So, I am not distressed that most of us haven't heard of this Eduardo. We cannot afford to sign EPL, Serie A, or La Liga stars. I hope that the other signings are guys in their early to mid 20's that I've never heard of. This Eduardo is only 30. So younger than some of JD's other signings. Hopefully, he's still fast enough and skilled enough to give us a good season or two.

I will reserve judgment until I see him play.

Well great! He's played left side middie!! Could he be a replacement for Convey?! That's probably too much to hope for.

Gjertsen is a US citizen who was playing in Canada. JD said specifically, a Brasilian (Eduardo, check!), an Argentine, and two Euro guys. (I suppose Eduardo could be one of the Euro players yes?) Gjertsen does not fit any of these descriptions. Of course, I am hoping that Gjertsen is great for us, but what I'm getting at is that JD said four internationals, and Joey can't be one of those, so we should have three more coming, not two. If Joey is one of the internationals we're supposed to be excited about, he'd better be damn good and replace one of our existing starters or I'll be howling for JD's head on a pike. ... Oh wait. I've already done that. :eek:

Go Quakes!! :D
    Time to Rock!!!

- Mark

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Convey came from a more prestigious league than this guy, and is younger. We have to be careful about getting too excited about Brazilian guys who go by just their first name. That doesn't necessarily mean they will be good (see "son, Denil-"). Let me be the first to recommend caution against getting too excited about the guy. That said, he's got a pretty good pedigree, and he's done OK but not great in his career.

BTW, if he plays left mid then looks like he is a right-footed left mid like Hucks. In the hilites his shots are coming from his right foot, even in one case where he had to take a really weird angle to use his right foot, kind of Alvarez-esque in a right-footed way.

14. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like players!

tiiiiiiiiiiiight

15. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard for me to turn my nose up at any half-way decent player the Quakes can bring in after the dearth of talent from last season. That being said, ever since I read Soccernomics, I'm suspicious of one name, no name Brazilian players.

16. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm upset with this signing b/c I was expecting Kaka...:rolleyes:

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It's hard to Google this guy because of the thousands of hits for the other Eduardo. I finally got to his wiki page with "Eduardo Basel soccer".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_Adelino_da_Silva

Even "Eduardo Toulouse" results in hits for yet another Eduardo.

18. JuanCasa

JuanCasa Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Oakland
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than the Cam Weaver signing, I mean Campos, I mean.......shit, nevermind-

19. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The highlight reel showed only a few goals so it would be hard to tell. At least those goals were scored from different ranges with his head, left foot and right foot.

Will see how it turns out.

20. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hey, you can't lose when your team's got a couple Brazilians. :rolleyes: ;)

21. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then I am glad his name is Eduardo da Silva.

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    ...and not to be confused with Brazilian-Croatian Eduardo da Silva who plays for Arsenal, or Eduardo Ratinho, who also played for Toulouse.

BTW, seems like most Brazilian names, if you extend them out long enough, eventually have a "Silva". And for that reason, I would now like to be called:

JazzyJ Alonso (2nd name usually begins with an "A") de Kaká Pinheiro Janeiro Ribeiro Portrero Hill da Silva.

23. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm sorry. That name cannot be allowed unless you live in Portrero Hill.

24. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...And you really like parrots.

25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I'll wait to see if I'm happy with this pick. As was mentioned, 30 isn't quite over the hill but it pushes the envelope a bit. For now he's a huge question mark, after we see him play, we'll know.

PS: While we are signing players like Eduardo, KC is picking up players like this..

Pablo Andrés Escobar
    Defender
    Height: 6-1
    Weight: 160
    Born: February 12, 1987
    Hometown: Florida, Colombia
    Birthplace: Valle del Cauca, Colombia
    Citizenship: Colombia
    Last Club: Deportivo Cali (Colombia