San Jose Earthquakes 2017 primary uniform unveiling (Thursday, February 16)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 1, 2017.

1. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also meh.

Looks like it is always wet from the pictures. But whatever, as long as they don't change the crest again I'm not planning to buy new stuff for a while.

2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am i the only one who thought this video was terrible? I couldn't even figure out what the kit looked like at the end. THe only thing I remembered was the classic red kit.

I know you guys posted photos, I'm just speaking about viewers seeing the jersey for the first time.

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I thought the video was great but it didn't feature any clear shots of the new uniform.

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    OK, now you're just getting picky on us.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  5. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    How many of you were at the event Thursday? I was there with my wife and had a great time. I was expecting a number of regular posters here to report on their evening but so far nothing. So, I decided to give a summary of my time Thursday. Here are the highlights of the evening for me:
    • New kit announcement. Ho-hum. I still prefer the blue jerseys but the new one is tolerable. Don't plan to buy one though. Not big on black.
    • Ran into a bunch of stalwart fans including the "Don". No not Don Garber. The other "G" man, Don Gagliardi. Always good to see Don and good to reconnect with many of you die-hard fans.
    • At one point I saw a young fan, maybe 8 years old, getting Gary Singh's 'Quakes book signed by various players. So, I asked the young boy if he knew that the author of the book was there and would he like to get the book signed by the author? Mom overhead that and got excited and so I brought them over to Gary who happily autographed the book for him. Mom was so thrilled and it put a big smile on my face.
    • I also noticed two women standing nearby the player autograph lines with various signed player posters in their hands. Then, one of them turned to me and sheepishly asked who were the 2 people that they had just gotten signatures from. They asked me "What is this?". They had apparently accidentally showed up at the event and were caught up in it without knowing what it was. After I let them know who the various players were and who the "stars" were (e.g. "That guy is David Bingham, the Goalkeeper. He has played for the USMNT"). I asked them if they knew where the Earthquakes played and they correctly guessed Avaya. I said yes and that they should take in a game soon. They said they would :). Two new fans perhaps? Another big smile on my part.
    • All of the front office was there and I got a chance to speak to everyone. I spent about 25 minutes talking with Chris Leitch. This was really interesting because I love to talk players and strategy with Chris. And Chris loves to talk soccer so we spoke at length about recent player status and possible strategies. It is really clear that the connection between Reno and the 'Quakes is to be very close. They plan to keep an "extended roster" (my words, not Chris's) by player movement between Reno and the first team. Chris told me about their strategy on player acquisition. The idea is to use TAM and GAM to get "quality" in every position and not just some of them. They have some ideas on using Cap "tricks" to have International slots available for the summer. I don't know if their strategy will work but I am glad that they have one.
    • I also got to talk with Jesse for about 20 minutes. He confirmed most of what Chris told me about player strategy. He confirmed that all the players waiting for Visas are now cleared and will be ready for the Reno game Saturday. He repeated how important the connection will be among the Academy, Reno and the first team. The long term strategy is to use TAM/GAM to get solid starters at each position with DP's in critical positions. Depth will be built through the Academy and they see homegrown players becoming a main source of players in the coming years.
    • Jesse also told me that he met Johnny Moore at the event and that he and Johnny really hit it off. Jesse felt that he and Johnny saw the club in the same way. Their tenure as execs may be temporary but the Club is "forever". He told me that he and Johnny planned a round of golf. (Jesse said that he doesn't actually play golf but really wanted to spend more time with Johnny). I also invited Jesse to come to a pre-game tailgate. In particular, I suggested that he should plan to come early to the Stanford game and visit the many tailgaters there. He thought that was a good idea and said that he now plans to attend that tailgate with his wife and son. I also suggested he attend the Ultras tailgates at Avaya soon.
    • Finally, I ended the evening chatting with Brandi Chastain and walking out to the car park with her to head home from a really fun evening.
    Since a promotional event like the one on Thursday is not really a "news" event, there was not much press there (I did see a Telemundo crew). And one might ask "What news is there here?". For me, the "news" was that a simple marketing event could bring out so many people on a weeknight just to be together. The San Jose soccer Community is passionate and active and it was a blast to hang out with everyone on Thursday.

6. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice report! I had signed up to go, but got a referee assignment that afternoon. And the maps app told me traffic getting there was bad, so I bailed. But I'm sure I was included in the headcount! :D

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  8. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was at the jersey event with my son...he had a great time. He met Bings and Tommy. It was great to see most of the FO on hand...very accessible. The vibe was warm and down to earth. I was standing behind Yueill watching him getting interviewed by Telemundo...players were walking around very casual. You could have walked up to any of the Quakes heavies and have a conversation. I didn't take advantage of the opportunity....socializing for me is awkward and painful. Thankfully my son is the complete opposite...he had a blast.

I thought it was interesting in Kaval's Q&A session someone asked what he would like see from the team tactically. He reiterated he wanted to see attacking appealing soccer. Then added that Jesse and Chris are working towards the goal...no mention of the actual coach of the team being part of that...the omission was a complete diss imo...I don't think many people caught it. Also, interesting that Kinnear didn't attend...unless I missed him...anybody know if he was there?

Overall it was a great well attended event...something we need more of...great for the fans..looking forward to the Sac game and Jesse's Q&A after.

mjlee22, SoccerMan94043 and SeaJayBee repped this.
  9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    What a great mix of young and old members of the club!

don gagliardi repped this.
  10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Typical bass player! I won't share my hefty stock of bass player jokes here, but I will leave you with this:

[​IMG]

Nothing makes me sound better than having a good bassist and drummer.

11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bass players are critical. At one point, I took up bass to make myself one of those dudes.

I hate the new jersey. We should wear blue or red. Black looks cool, except when you have to play in the sun, then it's just really stupid. Yuck.

Glad to hear that the event was great and lots of players and FO types easily available to the fans. That's really great news. I do sometimes regret living in exile.

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Dom!!

- Mark

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, they get lots of gigs, 'cause every band needs a bass player, unless you go with some kind of keyed / synth bass (yuck) or Hammond B3 with pedals (not so yuck but who lugs around a B3 these days - not many).

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Actually, my brother-in-law has one of these Roland footpedals that plugs into any Midi-equipped keyboard and allows you to play bass with your feet while you're strumming your guitar. Loads of fun!!!!

[​IMG]

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Ray Manzarek of The Doors also play something like that while he was on the keyboard? I know the Doors didn't have a bass player (except maybe while recording in the studio) and I thought I read that Manzarek played a foot bass.

bsman repped this.
  15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He apparently played a "Fender Rhodes bass keyboard", which never really caught on, I guess, unlike the Fender Rhodes piano. IMO their band would have sounded better with a real bass player, but they had passion and energy in their music - at least some of it, and that's most important.

Anyway, sorry for the music geek-out. I'm sure the new kit would look great on a bass player! :)

chris thebassplayer repped this.
  16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new kit doesn't look great (or even good) on anyone. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Black is "slimming" Goodsport. Just sayin'... :)

SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  18. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #68 chris thebassplayer, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    I fit the classic stereotype...but we have our jokes for you preeners...actually we don't bother...hehe. Fortunately we need each other to make it all work. At the end of the day, anyone who plays music is a friend.

bsman repped this.
  19. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is diet and playing soccer. Just sayin'. ;)

Goodsport repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Not enough for a lot of people ... sayin'. :)

21. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nails on a chalkboard...

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Never really thought I'd see that sentence. I view it more as a lowest common denominator.

25. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Walmart?